Holiday insurance

Posted 29th Feb
Can anyone recommend a travel insurance for holiday to be taken in April that will cover the current concerns regarding the coronavirus
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

13 Comments
You should buy now if you have booked holiday. If the government says now your destination if off limits what you going to do. You may have trouble claiming. Just saying. Also if you fall I'll you can't claim. Buy at time of booking. Post office do a good one
Edited by: "wayners" 29th Feb
Always buy when you book. Always always always. You may already be too late
Have a look on compare the market. Should take out on the day you book. Read the T&Cs as Coronavirus is now a known threat there's an outside chance that no one will cover you for it now.
Most travel insurance has a clause that states if WHO declare an epidemic or a pandemic of any influenza or virus than you wont be covered for said influenza or virus until the epidemic or pandemic warning is cancelled.

Secondly, as the virus is widely known before purchase insurance companies will be writing it out of policies in the same way they did with SARS and MERS.

Therefore don’t waste you time and just purchase the best insurance for your other needs.
I saw on the TV recently that if there is a problem in the area that you are going to you can cancel FOC if there is a Government warning advising no travel to the area. Apparently he said they are obliged to refund.
This is what you want staysure.co.uk/tra…on/, as long as you haven't booked to go to northern Italy.
Specifically this "If the FCO lists your destination as unsafe after you’ve bought your travel insurance and you have the optional Travel Disruption Extension, you’ll be covered to cancel your holiday because of the coronavirus".
Other insurers most likely do it as well. It added another £11 to a £18 policy when I ran a quote.
@HEPY
Are you just looking for cancellation prior to travel only? Or including cover during travel to countries outside of the current FCO and WHO list of countries for should-not-go or including cover for countries which become listed by FCO after you started your holiday?
Edited by: "splender" 29th Feb
Not wanting to cancel And it’s in Europe. It’s just best value insurance that will cover let’s say what if we have to remain isolated in a hotel for 14 days who pays the bill ?
Hepybaby01/03/2020 05:21

Not wanting to cancel And it’s in Europe. It’s just best value ins …Not wanting to cancel And it’s in Europe. It’s just best value insurance that will cover let’s say what if we have to remain isolated in a hotel for 14 days who pays the bill ?

interesting question. i would have guessed in these emergency cases you would not be asked to pay the bill whilst you are being quarantined. certainly not for your room but you may have to pay for meals and provisions whilst you are there.
Just go without insurance everyone does anyway, then when goes wrong, just set up a gofundme, problem solved...
I am travelling to Poland end of March and just took out policy with StaySure, paid extra for Travel Disruption Ext. good thing is Poland hasnt had any confirmed cases yet, downside is I learned today that auschwitz tour maybe affected which is a pain as that is the soul reason going.
If anyone wants a 20% discount via Staysure PM me and I can send you link.
Hepybaby01/03/2020 05:21

Not wanting to cancel And it’s in Europe. It’s just best value ins …Not wanting to cancel And it’s in Europe. It’s just best value insurance that will cover let’s say what if we have to remain isolated in a hotel for 14 days who pays the bill ?

I doubt if there is one policy then! You said, "Not wanting to cancel And it’s in Europe. "
That's wishful thinking, or it will cost you with added cover, even added cover has limitations and caps, I assume, even for time forgot, long before coronavirus came, just any virus sent shivers up the spines of insurance chiefs.

I read a number of wrong advice in the above. Sure, you are likely to be covered for cancellation if you have an existing policy prior to FCO's designations on some countries.

However, if I were you, fact-check the policies that you are interested, against cover for any communicable disease and virus, irrespective of whether you bought insurance before or after booking your flight/holiday. Note that I wrote the word: "virus" in these policies that you can easily find on the net. After reading 5 to 10 with a word search on "virus", you know what I mean. Any virus is hugely costly to insurance companies.
Edited by: "splender" 5th Mar
Sister-in-law is due to fly to LA on Sunday, then getting a flight to Hawaii to go on a 16 day cruise around the Hawaiian islands before flying back to LA and then to UK. She's early 60s and her male "friend" is banging on 80 (albeit he's a relatively fit guy for his age - ish). I personally can't believe they're still going because of what happened on the cruise ship in Japan and now the one off the coast of California being refused permission to dock because somebody that was removed from the ship has now died of Coronavirus. Additionally, Mariah Carey has cancelled a concert in Honolulu next week because of travel restrictions, so I'm assuming there are doubts about getting there and back again.

Just wondering if their insurance would cover any of the potential problems they may face during the trip. I have no idea what type of insurance they have, but as said she is in her early 60s, former cancer patient (and now survivor of 15 years) and he is in his late 70s and has had various health issues in the last few years, but is still reasonably fit for his age - they play a lot of golf together!
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Discussions

Top Merchants