Holiday refunds

Posted 15th Mar
Hi All

I have a holiday to Morocco booked for the 30th of March which I am sure will be cancelled and i will be refunded for.

My question is that I have booked a hotel with parking for the car near Gatwick and airport lounge booked through holiday extras that is not refundable through them.

Do I claim for the refund through my travel insurance or through my credit card company?.

New to this as not done it before.

Holiday was booked 7 months ago way before the virus issue.
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

15 Comments
Impossible to say without seeing TI or CC t&c, but in general: CC would not cover consequential loss unless same was an additional benefit offered the specific card product, and even then only if meeting that additional benefit's eligibility criteria.
Worst case: both may not provide any cover for the indicated circumstance.
I was reading this article earlier today, I'm not sure if you will find the answer but thought i'd leave it here anyway.

dailymail.co.uk/new…tml
as said above, read the Ts&Cs. Boring but vital

a possible outcome will be

The credit card transaction comes under section 75 consumer credit rules. If it’s between £100 and £30k, you can hold the merchant liable for non delivery of the purchase. If it’s below £100 then add it to the insurance claim. Be careful not to mistakenly claim twice. They don’t like that and they do find out.
I paid like this
deposit - direct debit
payment 1 - credit card a
payment 2 - credit card b

Reason for 2 different cards is I opened new account and now only use credit card 2.

Insurance is here nationwide.co.uk/-/m…pdf
looks like I should be covered?
I pay extra for family cover

You are covered for We will pay up to £5,000 for each insured person for their portion of the trip costs if you have to cancel your trip, including:• Deposits.• Commercially operated accommodation and travel costs.• Car hire.• Excursions and activities.• Kennel, cattery, professional pet sitter costs.• Car parking charges
ccnp15/03/2020 22:34

as said above, read the Ts&Cs. Boring but vitala possible outcome will …as said above, read the Ts&Cs. Boring but vitala possible outcome will beThe credit card transaction comes under section 75 consumer credit rules. If it’s between £100 and £30k, you can hold the merchant liable for non delivery of the purchase. If it’s below £100 then add it to the insurance claim. Be careful not to mistakenly claim twice. They don’t like that and they do find out.

OP does not indicate how the holiday was funded but Section 75 consequential loss will not apply if the funding for the separate holiday purchase was not via the same card as used for the (assumed combined) hotel+parking, otherwise the CC co will simply state that the merchant is not preventing OP from using the purchased services if the OP still chooses = no claim.
My mum has just recently had her holiday cancelled. She got in touch with the airport lounge and they said they can't refund but can offer her a voucher valid for 18 months to get the lounge for free whenshe wants to use it again. Carparking she still needs to contact them so sorry can't help with that
markvirgo15/03/2020 22:46

I paid like thisdeposit - direct debitpayment 1 - credit card a payment 2 …I paid like thisdeposit - direct debitpayment 1 - credit card a payment 2 - credit card bReason for 2 different cards is I opened new account and now only use credit card 2.Insurance is here https://www.nationwide.co.uk/-/media/MainSite/documents/products/current-accounts/flexaccount/p1214-travel-cover-policy-document-from-1-nov-2019.pdflooks like I should be covered?I pay extra for family coverYou are covered for We will pay up to £5,000 for each insured person for their portion of the trip costs if you have to cancel your trip, including:• Deposits.• Commercially operated accommodation and travel costs.• Car hire.• Excursions and activities.• Kennel, cattery, professional pet sitter costs.• Car parking charges

Salient phrase there may be "if you have to cancel your trip" which is not the same as another party / organisation / authority cancelling the trip. Not read the t&c to look for non-policyholder cancellation cover, if any.
MonkeyMan9016/03/2020 00:20

My mum has just recently had her holiday cancelled. She got in touch with …My mum has just recently had her holiday cancelled. She got in touch with the airport lounge and they said they can't refund but can offer her a voucher valid for 18 months to get the lounge for free whenshe wants to use it again. Carparking she still needs to contact them so sorry can't help with that

I expect that will be the tactic that many service providers will offer.
While refunds will be something most will be after. So many firms will go to the wall if the start of their season has -ve cash flow. Each firm will head to do the tightrope walk of customer service vs survival.
AndyRoyd15/03/2020 22:48

OP does not indicate how the holiday was funded but Section 75 …OP does not indicate how the holiday was funded but Section 75 consequential loss will not apply if the funding for the separate holiday purchase was not via the same card as used for the (assumed combined) hotel+parking, otherwise the CC co will simply state that the merchant is not preventing OP from using the purchased services if the OP still chooses = no claim.

Parking etc was paid via the 2nd credit card.

Holiday has now been cancelled by TUI today and refund pending so no need to claim for actual holiday
markvirgo17/03/2020 19:20

Parking etc was paid via the 2nd credit card. Holiday has now been …Parking etc was paid via the 2nd credit card. Holiday has now been cancelled by TUI today and refund pending so no need to claim for actual holiday

In that instance as you indicate the parking merchant has not stated the service will not be provided you should be free to use the service if you wish, although obvsly no point in using it. Highly unlikely you could enforce a refund or S75 claim in that context, although there may be some goodwill available.
AndyRoyd17/03/2020 19:25

In that instance as you indicate the parking merchant has not stated the …In that instance as you indicate the parking merchant has not stated the service will not be provided you should be free to use the service if you wish, although obvsly no point in using it. Highly unlikely you could enforce a refund or S75 claim in that context, although there may be some goodwill available.

Parking and room usuable but the airport lounge isn't as its past the security point
markvirgo17/03/2020 19:37

Parking and room usuable but the airport lounge isn't as its past the …Parking and room usuable but the airport lounge isn't as its past the security point

Was the lounge itemised separately on the invoice and if so, was just the lounge cost £100 or more?
AndyRoyd17/03/2020 19:41

Was the lounge itemised separately on the invoice and if so, was just the …Was the lounge itemised separately on the invoice and if so, was just the lounge cost £100 or more?

Its all listed as one booking although I purchased seperatly.

I will be contacting them tomorrow and let you know the outcome
markvirgo17/03/2020 20:09

Its all listed as one booking although I purchased seperatly.I will be …Its all listed as one booking although I purchased seperatly.I will be contacting them tomorrow and let you know the outcome

It is the invoice itemisation that would be important for an S75 claim.
AndyRoyd17/03/2020 20:12

It is the invoice itemisation that would be important for an S75 claim.

Seperate on the credit card
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Discussions

Top Merchants