Holiday to Venice - any tips?

Found 30th May
Looking at booking a holiday to Venice in early July. Does anyone have any tips, advice for when we're there? Also where is best to fly etc?

Thinking of maybe even going to Verona, staying in Lake Garda but not sure how far or easy it is to get to Venice from there?

Thanks in advance!
Community Updates
Ask
Top comments
Take your own blow up Dinghy, that way you won't get ripped off on the Gondola rides.

Take your own Cornetto ice creams and enjoy them on your Dinghy, whilst humming the theme tune.

Don't go in July, it will be too busy with other tourists carrying blow up boats and boxes of ice cream.
14 Comments
Yeh…….don't go...….the place smells and unless you take your Bank Manager with you it'll be bread and water for the duration of your stay because of the rip off prices...
Take your own blow up Dinghy, that way you won't get ripped off on the Gondola rides.

Take your own Cornetto ice creams and enjoy them on your Dinghy, whilst humming the theme tune.

Don't go in July, it will be too busy with other tourists carrying blow up boats and boxes of ice cream.
My Tip is to stay in Lake garda and don't bother with Venice. If you do go, just do a day trip and try to avoid all of the scams.

In particular avoid the fish restaurants like the plague, they would advertise a fish dish at say 10 Euro, and in the tiniest print it would say per gramme. If you weren't on the ball your dinner would cost over 300 euro.
Don't listen to st8mike Venice is excellent, as long as you like mazes
I've been there twice and would still go back.

I wouldn't advise going on a Gondola, they are expensive, slow and not particularly romantic if you are doing it with the other half.

Glass factory tours aren't bad, but the prices are horrendous, all the glass souvenirs made in Venice are Morano glass, but they claim it's only Morano if you buy from them.

You can get around easily on the ferry boats that stop at various points around the city, but they are slow - you can walk faster if you know the way.

Burano island is nice - but very small, and very colourful.

Make sure you try the Gelato's they are awesome.

Best to fly direct, then catch a ferry to the centre - about 20 Euros, trains to Venice come from the north, so if you fly somewhere south then you have to go up and change to go back down to Venice.
Venice is incredible. I'd echo Bigfootpete above with regards to the islands. You can do 3 island boat tours which were really good when we went. There's various other little tours you can get involved with too - we did a ghost walk late one night which took us quite a distance around the town and taught us a little about the history, pretty interesting stuff if that's your thing.

Don't eat in St Marks Square.

Get a week pass for the waterbus if you're there for any length of time and don't fancy walking all the way.

Check out Venice Lido if you get an opportunity. Loads of quaint little shops over there that are often overlooked for the main island. We stayed on the lido, in a B&B called La Villa Albertina. Lovely little place, wonderful staff and cosy rooms. I'd highly recommend it - we're planning a return trip soon and will be staying at the same place.
I'm Italian and went there twice during the summer... Once with British partner (he hated it) and once with my sister and we saw the islands too.
Avoid the summer as it's too hot. Really... It's not good to walk around in that kind of heat and it's crowded everywhere you go.

Prepare yourself to spend a lot as Venice doesn't have any place with normal prices apart from Macdonald's.

Eat at McDonald's is my advice (there is one on the way to the usual touristy places to see) and get water at public water fountains if you see them. A small bottle of water costs like a beer... Not joking.

Be careful about where you decide to sit down and eat packed lunches as it's not allowed and there are limited areas where this can be done.

I felt it was overrated and I preferred Florence!
Edited by: "hearts22" 30th May
Bigfootpete3 h, 20 m ago

Don't listen to st8mike Venice is excellent, as long as you like mazes Don't listen to st8mike Venice is excellent, as long as you like mazes I've been there twice and would still go back. I wouldn't advise going on a Gondola, they are expensive, slow and not particularly romantic if you are doing it with the other half. Glass factory tours aren't bad, but the prices are horrendous, all the glass souvenirs made in Venice are Morano glass, but they claim it's only Morano if you buy from them.You can get around easily on the ferry boats that stop at various points around the city, but they are slow - you can walk faster if you know the way.Burano island is nice - but very small, and very colourful.Make sure you try the Gelato's they are awesome.Best to fly direct, then catch a ferry to the centre - about 20 Euros, trains to Venice come from the north, so if you fly somewhere south then you have to go up and change to go back down to Venice.

No that's right....don't listen to me ….do some reading......google is your friend.....there are many opinions and there will always be those on opposite sides, however when there are as many negatives as there are on this subject it would be wise to take note because as the old saying goes....no smoke without fire.....
I've stayed in Desenzano a few times and took the train to Venice. The train took around 90 mins although there is an express train too. I seem to remember it being around £10 each way, but that was a few years ago. When in Venice, you can travel on the water buses for a reasonable price. We picked an area, and just walked around that one area, exploring as we went. It's not as tiring that way. We found that eating cicheti (small open sandwiches) was reasonably priced and of course drinking Aperol was great. You usually get a small bowl of crisps or similar with Aperol, so that helps too. It's much quieter in the back areas and you can see life as the Venicians live it, rather than the touristy areas. I wouldn't like to stay in Venice though, a day trip or two is plenty.
hearts221 h, 55 m ago

I'm Italian and went there twice during the summer... Once with British …I'm Italian and went there twice during the summer... Once with British partner (he hated it) and once with my sister and we saw the islands too. Avoid the summer as it's too hot. Really... It's not good to walk around in that kind of heat and it's crowded everywhere you go. Prepare yourself to spend a lot as Venice doesn't have any place with normal prices apart from Macdonald's.Eat at McDonald's is my advice (there is one on the way to the usual touristy places to see) and get water at public water fountains if you see them. A small bottle of water costs like a beer... Not joking. Be careful about where you decide to sit down and eat packed lunches as it's not allowed and there are limited areas where this can be done. I felt it was overrated and I preferred Florence!

I've never heard of an Italian trying to persuade people to eat American fast food in their own country - where is your Italian pride?
I love Italian food - especially Risotto, there are places that are not so expensive in Venice - you just have to look harder...
Bigfootpete2 h, 15 m ago

I've never heard of an Italian trying to persuade people to eat American …I've never heard of an Italian trying to persuade people to eat American fast food in their own country - where is your Italian pride? I love Italian food - especially Risotto, there are places that are not so expensive in Venice - you just have to look harder...

I am just saying it because the food is generally expensive... if you wanna eat a lot of Italian food I wouldn't do it in Venice lol. He's going to Lake Garda first so he can eat Italian food there and save money in Venice

Also, I know for a fact in Venice they have no shame ripping foreign tourists off. Seen it on Italian TV lots of times... they sent people from a different area in Italy, local people and foreigners and the foreigners were charged more to eat the same food! They tend to give discounts to those they perceive as local (they speak the local dialect) or at least Italian and don't have the same "generosity" with foreigners.

I also guess being Italian I see stuff like risotto etc as dishes I can eat at home rather than going out in Venice to eat them . If I go to a restaurant in Italy I order dishes I can't easily reproduce at home, but that's just me.

Of course I am a huge supporter of Italian food but I also know Venice is expensive, whatever you say... I remember on Burano I needed water and a small bottle of water was over 3 euros so I filled my empty bottle at a fountain. Can get a beer at a bar for that money in my home town.

Venice is overcrowded, hot and smelly in summer. I went in June with my boyfriend and he was very uncomfortable and I went in August with my sister and did more but I still thought it was overrated. I have Italian friends who think the same.

I then went to Florence with my sister a week after and Florence has the usual touristy rip off places where the main attractions are but if you go outside them you have normal shops and food places selling normal-priced stuff. No such thing in Venice. It's all overpriced.
Edited by: "hearts22" 30th May
I heard it is a bit like a game of pac-man.
If your staying in garda have a look on google for the dpiu supermarket. Its like a italian lidl, much cheaper than in town garda shops.
Also had a deli counter which did amazing cooked meats and cured meats. They dont speak english in there but pointing is good and we managed to get what we wanted.
Chip and pin is accepted just about everywhere too if that helps.
Venice is lovely, it can be extremely busy, but some streets really quiet. You just have to seek out places.
If you like walking about looking at nice old buildings with narrow streets your in luck.

We walked down into a square where some woman was shaking her table cloth out the window onto the folks below, the local choir was practicing singing, pigeons were pecking about in the shade, and some Italian grandma telling their grandkids off somewhere in the distance it wad just typically Italian.

I dont think young people would like venice much.
You have to open your eyes and look everywhere, i found every where i looked there was something to see.

There is lots and i mean lots of graffiti everywhere too.
And the public toilets were 3euro.
deleted568030
I love Venice, been about 5 times and going again next year. Mikeyblue's advice is spot on. A b+b on the Lido (not to be confused with the lido de jesolo ) is an excellent tip, the Lido is just over the lagoon, about a 5 min ferry ride straight over to St Mark's Sq.
The very best thing to do in Venice is just to get lost! Get out of St Mark's go over the Grand Canal by traghetti, they're like a gondola ferry that just go from one side of the canal to the other. There are plenty of little, practically empty squares over on the Dorsoduro and the food is much cheaper. Do the big tourist traps first thing in the morning before they get too busy. Avoid the gondolas but use the number 1 vaporetto which does a circular route along the Grand Canal and buy your multi day tickets in advance and just hop on and hop off. Get a small pocket guide before you go and get familiar with what you want to see.
Ferrys go regularly to both Murano (glass) and Burano (lace), both beautiful islands with their own canals.

The first Sunday in September is the big Storica Regatta, the whole of the Grand Canal is turned into a huge parade of fancy dressed boats. Fly straight into Marco Polo airport, come out and turn left and the ferry is about 100 yards away, it takes about into 35-40 mins to St Marks and it's a lovely way to arrive.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants