Holiday/Airport Advice - First time Solo

Posted 8th Feb
Hello, I am travelling abroad, but for the first time by myself. As its my first solo travel, I have booked a direct flight, and for midday. Its from UK to Europe

1) I have a few questions and looking for some advice, what exactly do you do when you get to the Airport?

- Arrive at the Airport 2 hours before flight departure
- Go to Check in and get a Boarding Pass - This will give me the departure gate time and number
- Wait until the departure gate opens
- Go to departure gate,
- Do security and board plane
- Enjoy

Is that correct and am I missing anything else?

2) In regards to what to take/check:

• Passport
  • Booking Ticket Printout
  • Hotel details Printout
  • Coach Transfer Printout (Since its my first solo)
  • Money - Cash and Debit Card
  • Luggage
  • Charges/Adapters
  • Suncream

Anything else?

Big big Thanks!
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

34 Comments
How are you getting to the airport and which one is it?

Depending on the airline, you should be able to check in online 24/48 hours and maybe even pick your seat beforehand. Some will even send a boarding pass to your mobile.

Also mean it’s less of an issue if you arrive a little late to the airport.
Edited by: "Candystore" 8th Feb
I hope you get some sensible replies to your post 😁 have a fab time!!!! Where are you going to?
Check-in online at the earliest opportunity and print off your boarding pass at home. You can usually use the airline app and have it on your phone, but as a first time solo traveller a hard copy is probably easier to have and show people. Don’t wait to check-in at the airport when you arrive as some budget airlines charge extortionate prices to use this facility.
Have your Boarding Pass ready and go through Security, make sure you have any liquids (max100ml in a clear bag) out ready to scan and any ipad/laptops as well, you may have to remove coat, your belt and keys /coins wallet out of your pocket should also go in the security tray. You may even be asked to remove your shoes.
Don’t worry if and when you walk through the scanner you get pulled to one side as they do many random checks.
Once through security, check the Departures Board for your flight and any information (if it’s on-time/delayed) or what time when the gate no. will be announced. Just keep checking the board. Then once the gate No. is shown head to the gate straight away as sometimes the gate can be miles away from the main departure area. Get in the queue at the gate, show your passport and boarding pass to the Agent, board plane and Enjoy.
I’d recommend taking your own food on the plane, either buy a meal deal airside or take your own sandwiches (wrapped in foil is ok) as plane food is expensive. Buy a drink to take on board as well airside.
Double check the dimensions of your case as the airline may check it before boarding at the gate. That could be a costly mistake.
Edited by: "Toptrumpet" 8th Feb
Candystore08/02/2020 13:43

How are you getting to the airport and which one is it?Depending on the …How are you getting to the airport and which one is it?Depending on the airline, you should be able to check in online 24/48 hours and maybe even pick your seat beforehand. Some will even send a boarding pass to your mobile.Also mean it’s less of an issue if you arrive a little late to the airport.

I will be taking a coach getting to the Airport, thats fine, it's what I have to do inside and what happens inside, is what I am worried about.

Thank you, I will definitely check in online. Will this give the departure gate number and when the gate opens time too?
Edited by: "MarioMan" 8th Feb
Toptrumpet08/02/2020 13:56

Check-in online at the earliest opportunity and print off your boarding …Check-in online at the earliest opportunity and print off your boarding pass at home. You can usually use the airline app and have it on your phone, but as a first time solo traveller a hard copy is probably easier to have and show people. Don’t wait and check-in at the airport when you arrive as some airlines (easyjet/Ryanair etc) charge extortionate prices to use this facility.

Oh dear! I thought check in was free? How and why does easyJet and Ryanair charge for check-in?

I am definitely planning and will be checking-in online.

Have you personally flown on easyJet before?
MarioMan08/02/2020 13:57

I will be taking a coach getting to the Airport, thats fine, it's what I …I will be taking a coach getting to the Airport, thats fine, it's what I have to do inside and what happens inside, is what I am worried about. Thank you, I will definitely check in online. Will this give the departure gate number and when the gate opens time too?

No, but you can look at the screens at the airport
Candystore08/02/2020 14:00

No, but you can look at the screens at the airport

Lol, Yes.

Not, what I mean is that, What exactly do I get if I check in- online? Just the Seat option? Anything else?
MarioMan08/02/2020 14:04

Lol, Yes. Not, what I mean is that, What exactly do I get if I check in- …Lol, Yes. Not, what I mean is that, What exactly do I get if I check in- online? Just the Seat option? Anything else?

Just may be able to chose your seat, but it covers you in case the coach is late to the airport, plus you won’t have to queue at the airport
MarioMan08/02/2020 13:59

Have you personally flown on easyJet before?

I regularly fly EasyJet to Spain every 6 weeks or so. If you’re flying EasyJet, it appears that you can now check-in free of charge using a self service check-in desk at the airport. But I would check-in online and print the boarding pass off before you head to the airport. Don’t book a seat, as you’re travelling solo just let Easy Jet allocate you a seat unless you really want row 1 or need extra legroom.
EasyJet cabin luggage dimensions (including handles and wheels) 56x45x25cm
MarioMan08/02/2020 14:04

Lol, Yes. Not, what I mean is that, What exactly do I get if I check in- …Lol, Yes. Not, what I mean is that, What exactly do I get if I check in- online? Just the Seat option? Anything else?

Well it notifies the airline that you definitely intend on travelling and they won’t sell your seat to someone on standby if you arrive at the airport late.
In the worst scenario, if they oversell the seats they will offload those who checked-in last.
check in & boarding are two different animals.
TIme of day + pressure on queues for security.
We allow 4 hours for this & tend to use a lounge on the way out (setting off early in the morning & flying around 7 - 8 am from london based airport (luton . stanstead typically).

Problems happen, what time have you alloted for this?
Also, you understand meds & liquid limitations & storage yes? ..if not research it as that is the typical reason for queues.

Boots off, belts off (metals) glasses off etc..speeds process
We prefer to get there early hit check in & luggage stowage fast, get through security (rapid pass on way out) & sit in a lounge with free food & drink (well you did actually pre-pay for it when booking) ..relaxing start without getting sozzled & can work out cheaper than sitting in the throng buying coffee & food out of boredom & losing your seat in a busy airport compared to a dedicated lounge.

Depending where you are flying from, the lounges differ greatly in terms of quality...if "aspire" lounges are on offer ..grab it & get there in good time to chill for a few hours, charge you batteries, drink / eat well. with a dedicated flights board in the lounge & toilets within easy reach.

That makes for a good headstart to enjoying a holiday.
Edited by: "Mr_Gus" 8th Feb
Remember to get / take a European Health Insurance Card (its free) so you can access health care abroad if you need it, also your travel insurance documents.
Toptrumpet08/02/2020 14:21

I regularly fly EasyJet to Spain every 6 weeks or so. If you’re flying E …I regularly fly EasyJet to Spain every 6 weeks or so. If you’re flying EasyJet, it appears that you can now check-in free of charge using a self service check-in desk at the airport. But I would check-in online and print the boarding pass off before you head to the airport. Don’t book a seat, as you’re travelling solo just let Easy Jet allocate you a seat unless you really want row 1 or need extra legroom. EasyJet cabin luggage dimensions (including handles and wheels) 56x45x25cm

Thank you, I will be doing the check in-online.

I dont have any preference in regards to the Seat.

In regards to EasyJet, from your experience, how strict are they in terms of luggage?

Am I also allowed to have/carry this - In addition to the one small suitcase that will be: 56x45x25cm

This: It won't be as puffy as that, I can take a picture if you would like, but I just want to to keep my travel documents, Passport, my medicine (travel sickness), a phone charger and a iPad/or book.
- amazon.co.uk/adi…116

Will easyJet allow me that - How strict are they?

Thank you
It depends if you have a jobs-worth on duty that day. The maximum dimensions of the smaller bag are 45x36x20cm, so yes that lightweight back pack will be ok as long as you don’t super stuff it to bursting point, I’d just squash it down as much as possible if challenged.
Sw
Toptrumpet08/02/2020 15:05

It depends if you have a jobs-worth on duty that day. The maximum …It depends if you have a jobs-worth on duty that day. The maximum dimensions of the smaller bag are 45x36x20cm, so yes that lightweight back pack will be ok as long as you don’t super stuff it to bursting point, I’d just squash it down as much as possible if challenged.

Sorry, so its NOT: : 56x45x25cm?

Thanks
Don't use a debit card abroad as most have poor exchange rates and fees

Get a starling account and put some cash in it and withdraw foreign currency from the atm when you get there. Never allow the atm bank to do the conversion to sterling.
MarioMan08/02/2020 15:09

Sorry, so its NOT: : 56x45x25cm?Thanks

Ok, the cost of your flight ticket included a bag/case that can be placed in the cabin with dimensions 56x45x25. If you also want to carry on a small backpack (like the one on Amazon) then you’ll either have to pay extra or try and fit it in your case.
The website states ‘If you bring more than one cabin bag or your bag is bigger than 56x45x25cm then we’ll have to put it in the hold for a fee of £50.
Are you intending on only taking a few things in the Amazon style bag, or are you taking a case?

Just be advised that only 70 cases/ bags can be accommodated in the overhead lockers, so if your bag is no.71 onwards, they’ll tag it at the Boarding Gate and place it in the hold and you collect it from the conveyor belt at the other end. This service is free charge, they’ll place a matching sticker no. on your boarding pass (in the event the luggage goes missing they can then locate it from that).
OP, one of my travel rules is..
Wool socks breathe better tan poly cotton & can be used several times before they get stinky (even for just reducing by a pair for legs of airport travel days either end).

Buy a big ball of elastic bands to roll your underwear socks, small stuff.
Weigh luggage 48 hours before leaving.Have a "luggage checklist" take it with you (ie what you packed, what you needed what you didn't ..its how you shave grammes, ounces & pounds off regular travel ...& is less sweat to haul around.
Take a backpack as your walk on, in addition to your case, often doesn't get asked to go in the size checker, if so, as mentioned previously, don't fill it so it can be crammed down to fit.

NO lithium batteries in hold luggage, take them on board.
Wilko's (wilkinsons do small travel pastes & the likes)
Take a copy of your passport details in case of loss, easier to sort if you can quote numbers dates etc.
clip-seal bags are good for most travel, not just for meds & the likes at security checks (ikea ones are superb).
remember if you haven't got hold luggage then liquids gels etc need clear & concise forethought lest they delay you & others.
Toptrumpet08/02/2020 15:21

Ok, the cost of your flight ticket included a bag/case that can be placed …Ok, the cost of your flight ticket included a bag/case that can be placed in the cabin with dimensions 56x45x25. If you also want to carry on a small backpack (like the one on Amazon) then you’ll either have to pay extra or try and fit it in your case.The website states ‘If you bring more than one cabin bag or your bag is bigger than 56x45x25cm then we’ll have to put it in the hold for a fee of £50.Are you intending on only taking a few things in the Amazon style bag, or are you taking a case?Just be advised that only 70 cases/ bags can be accommodated in the overhead lockers, so if your bag is no.71 onwards, they’ll tag it at the Boarding Gate and place it in the hold and you collect it from the conveyor belt at the other end. This service is free charge, they’ll place a matching sticker no. on your boarding pass (in the event the luggage goes missing they can then locate it from that).

Yes, that amazon bag will be very light, just a few things documents, passports and a charger and in addition to that a mini suitcase 56x45x25
Mr_Gus08/02/2020 15:23

OP, one of my travel rules is..Wool socks breathe better tan poly cotton & …OP, one of my travel rules is..Wool socks breathe better tan poly cotton & can be used several times before they get stinky (even for just reducing by a pair for legs of airport travel days either end).Buy a big ball of elastic bands to roll your underwear socks, small stuff.Weigh luggage 48 hours before leaving.Have a "luggage checklist" take it with you (ie what you packed, what you needed what you didn't ..its how you shave grammes, ounces & pounds off regular travel ...& is less sweat to haul around.Take a backpack as your walk on, in addition to your case, often doesn't get asked to go in the size checker, if so, as mentioned previously, don't fill it so it can be crammed down to fit.NO lithium batteries in hold luggage, take them on board.Wilko's (wilkinsons do small travel pastes & the likes)Take a copy of your passport details in case of loss, easier to sort if you can quote numbers dates etc.clip-seal bags are good for most travel, not just for meds & the likes at security checks (ikea ones are superb).remember if you haven't got hold luggage then liquids gels etc need clear & concise forethought lest they delay you & others.

Travel pastes?
philedsch08/02/2020 16:42

Travel pastes?

"& the likes" ...you failed to get the important bit in that piece which infers a variety of travel gubbins, like travel size toothPASTE ,or a sure deodorant that is a PASTE, hair product PASTE etc etc, advisable for modern security scrutiny to avoid unnecessary delay.

You ever been in the fast track security queue at peak times with grandmas in front of you with all the wrong stuff, autistic kid about to melt down, x-raying over & over yet only 2 or 3 people doing security checks? ...it pays to minimise incidences of being hauled out of line in a group by paying attention to what you pack, esp if not wanting to pay for a hold bag.
MarioMan08/02/2020 13:59

Oh dear! I thought check in was free? How and why does easyJet and Ryanair …Oh dear! I thought check in was free? How and why does easyJet and Ryanair charge for check-in?I am definitely planning and will be checking-in online. Have you personally flown on easyJet before?

You can check in 30 days before on easyJet and print boarding pass...
You haven't put your Nintendo Switch on list of things to take 🎮
MarioMan08/02/2020 16:35

Yes, that amazon bag will be very light, just a few things documents, …Yes, that amazon bag will be very light, just a few things documents, passports and a charger and in addition to that a mini suitcase 56x45x25

That should be ok, just put the amazon bag in the suitcase at the Boarding Gate and take it out again between the Gate and the Plane. If your case is taken off you and put in the hold, just remember to take any valuables out the case and transfer it to your amazon bag and then all your valuables and important stuff will be with you on the plane. They’ll probably expect you to put the Amazon bag under the seat in front of you rather than take up space in the overhead lockers. It just depends on how full the flight is, so just go with the flow and see what everyone else has/is doing.
Toptrumpet08/02/2020 17:19

That should be ok, just put the amazon bag in the suitcase at the Boarding …That should be ok, just put the amazon bag in the suitcase at the Boarding Gate and take it out again between the Gate and the Plane. If your case is taken off you and put in the hold, just remember to take any valuables out the case and transfer it to your amazon bag and then all your valuables and important stuff will be with you on the plane. They’ll probably expect you to put the Amazon bag under the seat in front of you rather than take up space in the overhead lockers. It just depends on how full the flight is, so just go with the flow and see what everyone else has/is doing.

Massive massive thanks for all your help!
MarioMan. Don't know your personal details but approx 25 years ago age 18 or 19 I went abroad first time ever, all on my own via plane, from Edinburgh to Paris. Was a little scary I will admit, and the unknown, but it was fine step by step. That may have even been before mobile phone too (honestly cant remember) but there was certainly no WiFi/3g/Bluetooth etc.

There were issues like I hadn't researched the maps and turned out Charles De Gaulle airport was 20 miles or so from city centre. I somehow naively assumed the airport must be bang right in heart of city centre. This was also before Euros and I struggled with currency differences. Coped fine though with the strange and new environment all things considered. Was undoubtedly a good experience and confidence builder and glad I did it.

I do recall later realising I got ripped of by a couple of taxi drivers. Be weary of that, certain cab drivers are good at sniffing out a little bit of vulnerability.

You will honestly be fine, and you sound better prepared than I was! Have a great trip, and don't forget to tell us about it when you get back.
noahsdad09/02/2020 20:31

MarioMan. Don't know your personal details but approx 25 years ago age 18 …MarioMan. Don't know your personal details but approx 25 years ago age 18 or 19 I went abroad first time ever, all on my own via plane, from Edinburgh to Paris. Was a little scary I will admit, and the unknown, but it was fine step by step. That may have even been before mobile phone too (honestly cant remember) but there was certainly no WiFi/3g/Bluetooth etc.There were issues like I hadn't researched the maps and turned out Charles De Gaulle airport was 20 miles or so from city centre. I somehow naively assumed the airport must be bang right in heart of city centre. This was also before Euros and I struggled with currency differences. Coped fine though with the strange and new environment all things considered. Was undoubtedly a good experience and confidence builder and glad I did it.I do recall later realising I got ripped of by a couple of taxi drivers. Be weary of that, certain cab drivers are good at sniffing out a little bit of vulnerability.You will honestly be fine, and you sound better prepared than I was! Have a great trip, and don't forget to tell us about it when you get back.

Hey, Thank you Yes similar, a few years older than you at that time and yeah first time so nervous.

But thank you for your encouragement and wow and so true! I do have phones and can't image how hard it must have been back then!

Thanks once again and will do
Don’t forget to download a few things to watch on the plane. The flight’ll seem a lot quicker then and your earphones should block most of the surrounding noise out.
Happy Flighting and let us know how you got on on here.
Toptrumpet10/02/2020 09:01

Don’t forget to download a few things to watch on the plane. The flight’ll …Don’t forget to download a few things to watch on the plane. The flight’ll seem a lot quicker then and your earphones should block most of the surrounding noise out. Happy Flighting and let us know how you got on on here.

Thank you will do!

I just re read my message, I meant im travelling Midday, the Time on a date. In 2 weeks time, not Midday as in Midday today. Doh!
I'm going to counter the popular opinion. I fly solo most of the time and now check in literally 5 minutes before the deadline, reason being most of the seats are gone and the only ones left are extra legroom/ wider which your then get for free!

easyJet and Norwegian this work 9/10 times. Another tip is as your by yourself don't bother boarding the plane first your just moving from one seat to another at the end of the day, stroll up near the end especially if you only have cabin baggage your often get to put your back in the hold for free.

Have a great time and enjoy!
Edited by: "Personator1234" 10th Feb
Personator123410/02/2020 21:55

I'm going to counter the popular opinion. I fly solo most of the time and …I'm going to counter the popular opinion. I fly solo most of the time and now check in literally 5 minutes before the deadline, reason being most of the seats are gone and the only ones left are extra legroom/ wider which your then get for free!easyJet and Norwegian this work 9/10 times. Another tip is as your by yourself don't bother boarding the plane first your just moving from one seat to another at the end of the day, stroll up near the end especially if you only have cabin baggage your often get to put your back in the hold for free.Have a great time and enjoy!

Thanks! But ive already done it lol!

How strict are easyjet with their luggage sizes? thanks
MarioMan10/02/2020 21:57

Thanks! But ive already done it lol! How strict are easyjet with their …Thanks! But ive already done it lol! How strict are easyjet with their luggage sizes? thanks

The trouble is, at the Boarding Gate they usually have a metal bin sizer that the Agents can ask you to put your bag in, if it doesn’t fit they will charge you the £50. This check is airport dependent, it isn’t always done but sometimes the whole queue waiting to board is asked to put their cases in the sizer as they go through. They also now have a smaller bin to check the size of the additional bag. That’s why I said you have to make sure your Amazon bag will fit in the suitcase. If you get an overzealous agent you’ll be in trouble. I’ve only seen cases being weighed a few times, and that’s when I’ve seen people wearing layers of extra clothes that they’ve had to take out the case to reduce the weight. 39881165-GT9sh.jpg
Toptrumpet11/02/2020 09:38

The trouble is, at the Boarding Gate they usually have a metal bin sizer …The trouble is, at the Boarding Gate they usually have a metal bin sizer that the Agents can ask you to put your bag in, if it doesn’t fit they will charge you the £50. This check is airport dependent, it isn’t always done but sometimes the whole queue waiting to board is asked to put their cases in the sizer as they go through. They also now have a smaller bin to check the size of the additional bag. That’s why I said you have to make sure your Amazon bag will fit in the suitcase. If you get an overzealous agent you’ll be in trouble. I’ve only seen cases being weighed a few times, and that’s when I’ve seen people wearing layers of extra clothes that they’ve had to take out the case to reduce the weight. [Image]

on my last 6 easyjet flights (Gatwick x 3, chania, malaga, arrecife), they checked bags 3 times so seem to be getting stricter
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants