Holidaying in Maderia

Found 7th Aug
Has anyone been on holiday to Madeira. I'm thinking of going to Funchal. What's everyone's experiences.?
I don't think I know anyone who has been.
I don't want to be staying where there are really steep hills if u can help it.
Not bothered about beaches, it's more the shops, food, hotel pool, little walks etc. Maybe a coach trip or two.
Community Updates
Ask
7 Comments
Hi
I stayed in Funchal in March this year and it was really good , if you find a place close to the Harbour/promenade it is nice and flat there. We bought a ticket for the Yellow bus that takes you around Funchal and you get a map and you can get on and off as required, there is a day ticket and a weekly we bought the weekly and used it to get to the shops and malls located around Funchal and places of interest, fishing village,cable car ,glass viewing platform . yellowbustours.com/en-…spx
There is plenty to see for a week in Funchal. The people are fantastic and you will love it,it is very hilly and some are very steep but just do what you can and use the bus and you will be fine.
Edited by: "moulican" 7th Aug
Thanks for the bus tip, think I'd get a week pass too. It seems perfect for the kind of holiday I like. Can't be doing with all that sitting by a pool all week. I prefer to have a look around and stuff.
We went to Madeira last christmas. I loved it. There are no beaches but if you don't mind that, the views make up for that. The weather is temperate and there are plenty of coach and boat trips you can take. There are good walks too which are fairly flat on things called levadas which are irrigation canals. I would recommend Madeira but it is extremely hilly. And I mean extremely hilly. Funchal itself is fairly flat and there are some shopping streets. You can go up into the hills on the cable car and come back down by toboggan. If you like gardens and plants, it's the place for you. If you want nightlife, forget it. Oh and if you are a nervous flyer, the airport is not for you
moulican26 m ago

HiI stayed in Funchal in March this year and it was really good , if you …HiI stayed in Funchal in March this year and it was really good , if you find a place close to the Harbour/promenade it is nice and flat there. We bought a ticket for the Yellow bus that takes you around Funchal and you get a map and you can get on and off as required, there is a day ticket and a weekly we bought the weekly and used it to get to the shops and malls located around Funchal and places of interest, fishing village,cable car ,glass viewing platform . https://www.yellowbustours.com/en-GB/Madeira/Circuits/Funchal-Tour.aspxThere is plenty to see for a week in Funchal. The people are fantastic and you will love it,it is very hilly and some are very steep but just do what you can and use the bus and you will be fine.

i did the glass viewing platform. Very quickly. Felt I ought to but did not loiter.
Edited by: "psychobitchfromhell" 7th Aug
Maybe i should of mentioned the Airport on the side of a cliff but thats how they use all the space over there lol, and i will be back in November and it has become my fav destination for now. They only use the most experienced pilots to land at Funchal and will only land if the weather is right.
moulican4 m ago

Maybe i should of mentioned the Airport on the side of a cliff but thats …Maybe i should of mentioned the Airport on the side of a cliff but thats how they use all the space over there lol, and i will be back in November and it has become my fav destination for now. They only use the most experienced pilots to land at Funchal and will only land if the weather is right.

the airport is an experience but I agree the island is well worth the buttock clenching.I would go back in a heartbeat. I loved it.
Edited by: "psychobitchfromhell" 7th Aug
Beautiful place, I loved it. Stayed at the hotel Madeira which was totally fine for us. Easy to walk around town and loads of great affordable tours you can do around the island. I'd go back tomorrow if I could. The landing and take off are certainly a bit hairy!!
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants