Holidays abroad a thing of the past

Posted 31st Jul 2020
As all brits desert Spain following government advice , do you think going abroad could be a distance memory?

Think of how good it would be for the uk economy if we now all took all are holidays in the uk .

I love going abroad every year but this year did not plan and also next year I don’t plan to either for now and the future while this virus is about there will be nothing guaranteed, will people be bothered with all the stress !

Walking around in 35c heat with a mask stuck to my face ain’t no idea of a fun holiday .

I
Community Updates
Misc
Top comments
It's not a holiday if it's in the UK.
No
34 Comments
No
They’ll come back, I mean technically you can still go. The U.K. has too inconsistent weather for me to want to holiday here, a weekend away of course but a proper holiday can’t be beaten. As soon as Vegas reopens properly I’ll be on the first flight but I’m happy to wait
I think now might be a good idea to invest in more caravans.

or buy some land near the coast, and open a camping site
Booked my flights already for next year for Majorca. Looking at breaks to Vegas too. UK holidays don’t compare
At least for this year yes, I think you'd be crazy to try and book something abroad this year with all the uncertainty just for a week or 2 in the sun
Don't think so. Its a bit of a headache planning/going abroad right now as rules keep changeing from one minute to the next. You dont want to be abroad to find yourself stuck there unable to return.

But once a vaccine is found then holidays abroad should be back on track.
If I couldn’t holiday abroad I’d save my holidays for the year and take them as pay.
ste.chaderton31/07/2020 15:32

Booked my flights already for next year for Majorca. Looking at breaks to …Booked my flights already for next year for Majorca. Looking at breaks to Vegas too. UK holidays don’t compare

You probably know this already but the USA aren’t letting anyone in from the U.K. right now and Vegas definitely isn’t the Vegas you once knew at the moment
I personally wouldnt go abroad in these uncertain times, wouldn't like to wear the mask on the plane and in hot weather I'd find it unbearable. I'd rather be in this country atm, wouldn't like to be stuck in another country if the 2nd wave hit.
The evidence of the masses flocking abroad at the first chance they had, suggests otherwise!
It's not a holiday if it's in the UK.
We managed to get 2 weeks in Palma Nova for £225 each. Got back earlier this week, it was by far the best holiday i've had in Europe, loads of space on the beaches (Magaluf you could count the amount of people), no groups of drunks, airports virtually empty. 90% of tourists Spanish.
"Think of how good it would be for the uk economy if we now all took all are holidays in the uk"

Think of how bad it would be for the UK economy if all other countries did the same and tourists didn't come here.
i so hope not - id risk most parts of spain before id risk other parts of the uk knowing we are widespread spain isnt never mind the fact its probably cheaper to go to spain
Just remember, your valid EHIC card is OK until 31st December if you are willing the self insure the rest.
Absolutely not
The UK is too crowded, all of the genuinely nice holiday spots that you'd want to spend a week or two would be rammed. Just look at the state of Bournemouth at the moment. The weather is too unpredictable as well.

International travel is already possible now with the virus still very much around. We'll likely be traveling around again as normal next year, hopefully.

I'm waiting to see how the talks of further restrictions in the UK and around Europe progress over the next week or so before deciding whether I want to risk booking a weekend in Florence for the end of August.
Been waiting to go to Madrid since March for business reasons. I though have pretty much resigned to the fact it's not likely in 2020 now. The Spanish I have spoken to seem optimistic about Schools returning in September and the situation being under control. Their death rates seem very small, or so is being reported.
We made the most of our abroad holiday last year & so glad we did, I was gutted we didn’t make our isle of white holiday on the 20th July- our choice not cancelled.

But with a child in school & cost of abroad holidays in peak time is a fortune even uk holiday are not cheap.

Tbh I think a break is a break it’s what you make it sun or rain abroad or UK.
Edited by: "louloupop02" 31st Jul
Won’t be going abroad for a year as currently looking to book a holiday abroad next august....it’s nice to have a caravan holiday every so often but also nice to go abroad for the weather as ours is a hit and miss!
This is the greatest country on earth, go explore it. Holidays in the UK are not just Caravan sites and city breaks
I guess it depends on why you go abroad on holiday. I know for the majority of people it is to sit on a beach in the searing heat for a fortnight, and if that is your idea of a holiday, the weather in this country is never going to be reliable enough. Also, many of our beach resorts are fairly dire places and, on the whole, not particularly cheap.I'm more of a city break kind of a person these days because I'm not a big fan of the sun. Last year I went to Poland, Belgium, Hungary and Wales. That satisfied my interest in sightseeing and walking. This year, We have just returned from ten days camping in Cornwall and the cotswolds. I enjoyed that although, as always in this country, you have to factor in the rain. There are loads of fabulous places to visit in the UK and it would not really bother me if the borders were effectively closed for the next year or two. If your idea of a holiday is sun, sea and sangria though, this country doesn't cut the mustard. Horses for courses I guess.
I doubt it (who really knows at this point) we've given up for them this year and have booked 2 for next year already, I would like to do some of the uk but for some reason we really overcharge tourists and it puts me straight off.
When a caravan at skeggy etc etc is £700 per week you can fly to Bulgaria as a couple and get all inclusive for that... No thanks
nopartylikeansclubparty01/08/2020 05:15

I doubt it (who really knows at this point) we've given up for them this …I doubt it (who really knows at this point) we've given up for them this year and have booked 2 for next year already, I would like to do some of the uk but for some reason we really overcharge tourists and it puts me straight off.When a caravan at skeggy etc etc is £700 per week you can fly to Bulgaria as a couple and get all inclusive for that... No thanks

Agree. Parts of the UK are lovely but when you compare it cost wise it’s awful.
Besides the iffy weather, its quite frankly you lot, the British public that keep me off UK holidays!

I need a break from you all and the UK news at some point folks!
Azwipe31/07/2020 16:32

We managed to get 2 weeks in Palma Nova for £225 each. Got back earlier …We managed to get 2 weeks in Palma Nova for £225 each. Got back earlier this week, it was by far the best holiday i've had in Europe, loads of space on the beaches (Magaluf you could count the amount of people), no groups of drunks, airports virtually empty. 90% of tourists Spanish.

Spain wants the Brits most, we spend much more on holiday on incidentals and going out than the French, Germans or Spaniards.
We haven't left the house for over 5 months as we are in our mid 70s with health problems.
If we don't controle this tragic pandemic we will never controle/beat it!
The World is depending more on an unselfish view being adopted by EVERY ONE OF YOU.

Thank you all in expectation/anticipation!
landros103/08/2020 00:14

We haven't left the house for over 5 months as we are in our mid 70s with …We haven't left the house for over 5 months as we are in our mid 70s with health problems. If we don't controle this tragic pandemic we will never controle/beat it!The World is depending more on an unselfish view being adopted by EVERY ONE OF YOU.Thank you all in expectation/anticipation!

Any plans for after it blows over? (hopefully)
daniellndn03/08/2020 12:10

Any plans for after it blows over? (hopefully)

Many thanks for your enquiry,
I renewed my passport in February and ordered the extra pages as I plan to see the World.
Bad news was that I was sent a BLUE one !!!!!!! (Bummer).
When safe (relatively) I will do what I was planning.
landros103/08/2020 16:44

Many thanks for your enquiry, …Many thanks for your enquiry, I renewed my passport in February and ordered the extra pages as I plan to see the World.Bad news was that I was sent a BLUE one !!!!!!! (Bummer).When safe (relatively) I will do what I was planning.

At least you have plenty of time to work on the plans
psychobitchfromhell01/08/2020 04:35

I guess it depends on why you go abroad on holiday. I know for the …I guess it depends on why you go abroad on holiday. I know for the majority of people it is to sit on a beach in the searing heat for a fortnight, and if that is your idea of a holiday, the weather in this country is never going to be reliable enough. Also, many of our beach resorts are fairly dire places and, on the whole, not particularly cheap.I'm more of a city break kind of a person these days because I'm not a big fan of the sun. Last year I went to Poland, Belgium, Hungary and Wales. That satisfied my interest in sightseeing and walking. This year, We have just returned from ten days camping in Cornwall and the cotswolds. I enjoyed that although, as always in this country, you have to factor in the rain. There are loads of fabulous places to visit in the UK and it would not really bother me if the borders were effectively closed for the next year or two. If your idea of a holiday is sun, sea and sangria though, this country doesn't cut the mustard. Horses for courses I guess.

Same as you I like city breaks and also like coastal/rural areas with nice scenery and walks, I'll pass on the camping though

Beach holidays don't appeal in the slightest to me, add to that I don't like temperatures higher than mid 20s and dislike crowds, I would genuinely rather not bother with a holiday at all than spend a couple of weeks in a rammed Spanish beach resort in mid summer.
spoo03/08/2020 18:19

Same as you I like city breaks and also like coastal/rural areas with nice …Same as you I like city breaks and also like coastal/rural areas with nice scenery and walks, I'll pass on the camping though Beach holidays don't appeal in the slightest to me, add to that I don't like temperatures higher than mid 20s and dislike crowds, I would genuinely rather not bother with a holiday at all than spend a couple of weeks in a rammed Spanish beach resort in mid summer.

I love camping but it is an acquired taste. Particularly like the llyn peninsula in North wales. Fabulous dog friendly beaches
psychobitchfromhell03/08/2020 19:16

I love camping but it is an acquired taste. Particularly like the llyn …I love camping but it is an acquired taste. Particularly like the llyn peninsula in North wales. Fabulous dog friendly beaches

Have you done Newborough? What a beach and the old ruins after?
nopartylikeansclubparty03/08/2020 21:31

Have you done Newborough? What a beach and the old ruins after?

no we havent. Will check that out. Criccieth is our go to place
Post a comment
@
    Text