Groups

HOLY MOLY A BIONIC HAND

The world's most advanced, commercially available, bionic hand has clinched the UK's top engineering prize.

The i-LIMB, a prosthetic device with five individually powered digits, beat three other finalists to win this year's MacRobert award.

The technology has been fitted to more than 200 people, including US soldiers who lost limbs during the war in Iraq.

The device started life in Scotland in 1963 as part of a project to help children affected by Thalidomide.

The complex device finally went on sale in July 2007. It is produced by a company called Touch Bionics based in Mid Calder, Livingston

LOOKS AMAZING WATCH THE VID

news.bbc.co.uk/1/h…stm

10 Comments

Original Poster

snowtiger;2284051

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/7443866.stm

tut tut :thumbsup:

I saw it. At first, i thought that the black plasic hand was the bionic one. Oh, technology seemed to slow a bit... Holy christ, then the camara zoomed in on the other one which I thought was real. Wow.

Original Poster

Artonox;2284075

I saw it. At first, i thought that the black plasic hand was the bionic … I saw it. At first, i thought that the black plasic hand was the bionic one. Oh, technology seemed to slow a bit... Holy christ, then the camara zoomed in on the other one which I thought was real. Wow.

yep its amazing

dandoc2;2284063

tut tut :thumbsup:

Interesting article ...
    why tut tut ? are we not meant to put clicky links in anymore ? :?

Expensive jar opener.

Alfonse;2284101

Expensive jar opener.

could be used as a great back scratcher though ... worth every penny then !! :thumbsup:

holy moly work computers are carp so therefore cant play the vid i want to see the futuristic wanking claw! :w00t::whistling:

think of all the magic tricks to impress.
    "hey watch this" *gets knife out and cuts it off
    "ZOMG" "NOOOOO" "ARE YOU CRAZY"
    "hahahahaha"

Original Poster

snowtiger;2284110

could be used as a great back scratcher though ... worth every penny then … could be used as a great back scratcher though ... worth every penny then !! :thumbsup:

Possibilites are endless - if they can develop nerve endings in the hands people will be able to feel again - but i think they need to use something better than plastic - maybe metal - terminator style
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Ditched Sky1214
      2. Best 40 inch TV for £30056
      3. Biscuit addiction1231
      4. Working conditions, workers rights. Standing at work causing pain. Is this …1325

See more discussions