Home and Buildings Insurance Quotes

Found 10th Jul 2012
I am looking for getting Home and Building Insurance excluding Contents. I am a first time buyer so have no history of home insurance. Any body know of good offers ?
Community Updates
MiscInsurance
30 Comments
Go through the comparison sites, see who is cheapest, then go to Quidco/TCB and sign up! Save lots of money
I used confused.com and got the cheapest quote that way. Plus I got bonus nectar card points.
Im looking for home insurance but with the added cover of getting your electrics,plumbing etc also covered without making a claim. I was with M&S who allowed for claims to be made upto £500 for say plumbing works/electrics etc. just wondering if there are any others who offer similar service.

EN1GMA

Im looking for home insurance but with the added cover of getting your … Im looking for home insurance but with the added cover of getting your electrics,plumbing etc also covered without making a claim. I was with M&S who allowed for claims to be made upto £500 for say plumbing works/electrics etc. just wondering if there are any others who offer similar service.

yes - sheilas wheels

I paid £110 for 500K buildings & 35K contents and home emergency cover included free (already claimed for a new boiler pump)
csiman

£45 cashback … £45 cashback toohttp://www.topcashback.co.uk/sheilas-wheels-home-insurance/

how many claims can you make re:for plumbing,electrics etc like say if your boiler broke down?

EN1GMA

how many claims can you make re:for plumbing,electrics etc like say if … how many claims can you make re:for plumbing,electrics etc like say if your boiler broke down?

sheilaswheels.com/hom…tml
EN1GMA

Im looking for home insurance but with the added cover of getting your … Im looking for home insurance but with the added cover of getting your electrics,plumbing etc also covered without making a claim. I was with M&S who allowed for claims to be made upto £500 for say plumbing works/electrics etc. just wondering if there are any others who offer similar service.

Be very very careful with these sort of claims, yes they are as they say, but when you renew you still have to list that you "made a claim"

Dont think it is as it reads where you can claim with impunity
csiman

yes - sheilas wheels I paid £110 for 500K buildings & 35K contents and … yes - sheilas wheels I paid £110 for 500K buildings & 35K contents and home emergency cover included free (already claimed for a new boiler pump)

I tried and got a quote of £192 :(. The cheapest I got so far now is with Computer Quote Insurance - £102 and also TCB cashback of £26 making it effectively £76 for Buildings only. Any body has reviews on this firm ?
Aeschylus

Be very very careful with these sort of claims, yes they are as they say, … Be very very careful with these sort of claims, yes they are as they say, but when you renew you still have to list that you "made a claim"Dont think it is as it reads where you can claim with impunity

no you dont (not with sheilas wheels) as the home emergency cover is a completely separate policy (I called them to confirm this as well before taking out the policy)
varunadas

I tried and got a quote of £192 :(. The cheapest I got so far now is with … I tried and got a quote of £192 :(. The cheapest I got so far now is with Computer Quote Insurance - £102 and also TCB cashback of £26 making it effectively £76 for Buildings only. Any body has reviews on this firm ?

so SW is about £70 more after cashback. You wont find contents & home emergency cover for £70 anywhere.

very foolish not to cover contents if you ask me unless of course, it is covered by maintenance.
and make sure you dont overinsure. You must put in the house rebuilding cost, not its valuation. This is often far less so cover will often be cheaper.
check with your Bank - tey'll usually beat any quote by about £25

Natwest have this option - thye'll give you some ridiculous quote but then offer the "guaranteed to beat" offer ... they dropped £700 on their quote to the one i'd been offered!
still got my house ins ( contents only ) for £100
arcangel111

check with your Bank - tey'll usually beat any quote by about £25 Natwest … check with your Bank - tey'll usually beat any quote by about £25 Natwest have this option - thye'll give you some ridiculous quote but then offer the "guaranteed to beat" offer ... they dropped £700 on their quote to the one i'd been offered! still got my house ins ( contents only ) for £100

£100 is really expensive for contents only if you ask me
Buying insurance is a lot different to buying a tin of beans, the cheapest insurance is usually cheap for a reason.

Buy from an insurer with a good track record.
think it's about that ... maybe a bit less

i sold my house and moved into rented accom.. so changed my policy and because i'd already paid about 5 months i only had to pay £9 for the rest of the year ... so will see come sept what the renewal is ..
csiman

no you dont (not with sheilas wheels) as the home emergency cover is a … no you dont (not with sheilas wheels) as the home emergency cover is a completely separate policy (I called them to confirm this as well before taking out the policy)

That is strange, as when I did not mention a claim that I got told did not need mentioning, my new insusrer sent me a letter saying my policy would be invalid as I did not mention all claims made
also has only made 1 claim on household contents in 10 years ... my PS3 "fell off" the tv unit !
Aeschylus

That is strange, as when I did not mention a claim that I got told did … That is strange, as when I did not mention a claim that I got told did not need mentioning, my new insusrer sent me a letter saying my policy would be invalid as I did not mention all claims made

I guess your insurer incorporates the home emergency cover into the main contents / buildings cover

Sheilas wheels have a separate policy provided for free
DC - ya lurker .. show yourself!
csiman

and make sure you dont overinsure. You must put in the house rebuilding … and make sure you dont overinsure. You must put in the house rebuilding cost, not its valuation. This is often far less so cover will often be cheaper.

is that allowed? would that not invalidate your policy?
EN1GMA

is that allowed? would that not invalidate your policy?

most people put in their house valuation so end up paying a far higher premium every year

its not illegal, just a waste of money and insurers would only pay out the rebuilding cost
Edited by: "csiman" 10th Jul 2012
your house may be valued at £100k but only cost £55k to build .. that's all they need to know for the insurance purposes .. if anything were to happen ie : the gas explosion that destroyed 3 homes ... although that woman didn't have any insurance whatsoever ! so be warned
csiman

£100 is really expensive for contents only if you ask me

Surely it depends what contents you have! Mine is £650.
csiman, you're a legend!!!
hhhmmm, I wonder if termites/woodworms are covered under pest control...? might be cheaper if I got the insurance and then a month or two later gave them a call......
chester123

Surely it depends what contents you have! Mine is £650.

well obviously

£650 for contents insurance! Are you having a laugh? oO
csiman

rebuilding calculatorhttp://calculator.bcis.co.uk/

I used the building cost as quoted by the Surveyor. Should we rely on that number or the BCIS calculator ?

I was merely looking at having insurance as my lender needs that as a pre-condition to give mortgage. Hearing about stories about people suffering when making a claim, I just wonder how useful the building insurance really is. I read about a home owner whose claim was rejected citing wear and tear to the roof which collapsed under heavy rains. Insurance companies try and find stupid excuses to ensure that they do not payout.
I was quoted the figure of £102 by Fortress and £176 (£192 including contents) by Sheilas Wheels for buildings only. Not sure why my quote from Sheilas Wheels is higher than others quoted (my buildings cost is £143000).
Edited by: "varunadas" 10th Jul 2012
varunadas

I used the building cost as quoted by the Surveyor. Should we rely on … I used the building cost as quoted by the Surveyor. Should we rely on that number or the BCIS calculator ?I was merely looking at having insurance as my lender needs that as a pre-condition to give mortgage. Hearing about stories about people suffering when making a claim, I just wonder how useful the building insurance really is. I read about a home owner whose claim was rejected citing wear and tear to the roof which collapsed under heavy rains. Insurance companies try and find stupid excuses to ensure that they do not payout. I was quoted the figure of £102 by Fortress and £176 (£192 including contents) by Sheilas Wheels for buildings only. Not sure why my quote from Sheilas Wheels is higher than others quoted (my buildings cost is £143000).

I would go on the BCIS calculator figure but there shouldnt be much difference. I can fully understand why a claim for a collapsed roof was rejected when it rained. A well maintained roof should never collapse under the pressure of heavy rain.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants