HOME BARGAINS no guarantee for non electrical items

Found 17th Sep 2015
today we took back a shoping trolley that had developed a fault on the one wheel,the item otherwise was in good condition and we had the recept dated june so the itemwas just over 3 months old,home bargains REFUSED to replace or refund as it goes against company policy,only items returned within 28 days can be considered and no items in the store have any guarantee unless they are an electrical item,the person in tbe store was happy to put this down in writing for me,in a nutshell item goes faulty over 28 days old =no exchange or refund unless electrical at home bargains
http://i57.tinypic.com/15o8r5i.jpg
Community Updates
34 Comments
I imagine the member of staff was mistaken. Try again?
Sorry, I know this is nothing to do with your op, but when I was a child there always used to be little old ladies with a Poodle in their tartan shopping trolleys! I haven't seen one in years!

Back to your op, can you contact your local trading standards and see what they have to say?
all items need to be fit for purpose, a trolley should have working wheels that are up to the job,

I know the ones you are on about because I go one for a m8s 40th birthday, he was not happy
They are not above the law and need to be told firmly.

On their website they cover the SOGA . I suggest going back to the store with a a print out of their returns policy page and a half dozen eggs and teach them how to suck it up.

Edited by: "philphil61" 17th Sep 2015
http://i57.tinypic.com/15o8r5i.jpg
satnewseuro

see my comment above... it's on their website

help.homebargains.co.uk/hc/…es-

Return of Defective GoodsThe sale of goods act states that goods … Return of Defective GoodsThe sale of goods act states that goods must:Correspond with any description given - verbally, in writing or in an illustration.Be of satisfactory quality.Be safe.Work properly.Have no defects.Be fit for their purpose.Be capable of doing what they’re meant for.If goods do not meet these requirements then we will provide you with a refund, exchange or repair as is appropriate. We will need a receipt or proof of purchase to do this and the goods should be returned to us within a reasonable time. For instance, for electrical goods and most hardware goods, the warranty period is one-year from date of purchase.

Edited by: "philphil61" 17th Sep 2015
that piece of paper is worth jack-send it to the company chief exec and tell them where they can shove it
Sale of Goods Act 1979 as philphil61 mentions
Which? - Sale of Goods Act

For first 6 months the onus is on the retailer to prove that the goods were fit for purpose.
Go back to shop and if they try and fob you off again get names and go to your local Trading Standards.
thanks for the replies this shop was adamant that only electrical goods had a guarantee over 28 days and my only optionl was to ring head office ,i asked if i could use there phone to talk to someone at head office again this was against company policy just like not honouring any non electrical product guarantee .
I bought an elderly relative one of those trolleys and I had to stitch it up at the bottom where the stitching had come loose (from brand new, couldn't be doing with returning it as it was embarrassing enough getting it home). I have every intention of returning it if it does not perform to standard, I have kept the receipt for that reason! I am so surprised at your experience, not good.
One for trading standards to have a good laugh at. You need to return and explain to them is company policy to know what the company policy actually is.
By the way was it foggy when you took that picture or wont company policy let you tell me
bigweapon07

By the way was it foggy when you took that picture or wont company policy … By the way was it foggy when you took that picture or wont company policy let you tell me

company policy only allows a slightly less foggy one

i60.tinypic.com/nck…jpg
I have taken a broken toy back before. It was over 28 days and I had a refund with no problem. I would try a different store or head office.
I had a problem with returning 2 cups to home bargains 5 minutes after i bought them! When the till op put them through she banged them together and then on till by accident and they made a odd noise, she looked at them then me and carried on putting my stuff through. I didnt pay much attention at the time (having a tired 3 year old!) anyway i put the cups in a bucket seperated by sponges and when i got to the car i noticed they were cracked! Took them back in and they were refusing to do anything saying she didnt do anything, until the lady that was behind me brought something else back she had also broke of hers and kicked of shouting and the manager got really embaressed and changed the items just so the lady would leave! He was determined they couldnt do anything though
if they will not refund burn down the store that will teach them

when you get caught u must say it was all your own idea do not mention me
They are not the brightest in Home Bargains. I bought a VW doormat in blue from one store, then spotted it in red in another. I took the blue one in to do an exchange and the guy on the till had to ring a supervisor to check that it was ok because I had bought it in a different store.
gerard1983

They are not the brightest in Home Bargains. I bought a VW doormat in … They are not the brightest in Home Bargains. I bought a VW doormat in blue from one store, then spotted it in red in another. I took the blue one in to do an exchange and the guy on the till had to ring a supervisor to check that it was ok because I had bought it in a different store.

Perfectly within their rights to refuse to do such an exchange even if you had gone back to the original store.
Most companies will do such thing for goodwill but don't have to unless covered by Distance Selling regulations, i.e. bought over phone or internet.
unbelievable just rang customer services head office to be told everything i was told instore was quite right,its up to the manufacturer to repair or replace and only somtimes they will at the mangers discretion .
satnewseuro

unbelievable just rang customer services head office to be told … unbelievable just rang customer services head office to be told everything i was told instore was quite right,its up to the manufacturer to repair or replace and only somtimes they will at the mangers discretion .

https://help.homebargains.co.uk/hc/en-gb/articles/200213017-What-is-your-returns-policy-for-in-store-purchases-

At least you have brought it to the attention of others so we can be careful what we choose to buy from them.
rang again to try to speak to a manager non available .was again told by a different lady no refunds or exchanges after 28 days on faulty non electrical items other than at the mangers decretion ,"because we dont know how it has been used",asked if she could send me this in writing ...She said no
company policy is not to honour guarantees at home bargains
Well I for one will be very wary about buying anything in Home Bargains now. Thanks for letting us know satnewseuro.
satnewseuro

unbelievable just rang customer services head office to be told … unbelievable just rang customer services head office to be told everything i was told instore was quite right,its up to the manufacturer to repair or replace and only somtimes they will at the mangers discretion .

Trading standards (if they can be bothered) and local paper are your friends.
rang trading standards which diverted to cab , sale of goods act as mentioned above,they should repair /replace / refund within 6 months with the onus of them proving the fault was somthing other,seems i have to write letters make complaints ,keep records,to get this rectified ,
all i wanted a working trolley fit for the purpose ,

yummy out of date fisn n chips was 25p can have it 23p but company policy says there a 3p surcharge on special compensation,allegedly
area manager to call me ...
satnewseuro

yikes its these ones … yikes its these ones http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/shopping-trolley-7-99-home-bargains-2159160

That link seems to be a kids shopping trolley. Is that the item you're talking about?
satnewseuro

area manager to call me ...

When he/she calls - be polite but be firm - you want it replaced or if no replacement then full refund. If they refuse then YOU WILL be contacting trading standards and advise this forum (and similar sites + trust pilot) of the failure to comply with the Sale of Goods Act 1979 and if they don't know this forum then just give them this thread link
never got the call
satnewseuro

never got the call

Then go back to the store with the faulty goods and a copy of this and this and explain to the most senior person there, in a polite and respectful manner, that this will be their last chance to abide by their returns policy and the law and if they refuse this you will be contacting trading standards and seeking legal representation and that your claim for losses will include travel costs, phone calls and legal fees.

Edited by: "philphil61" 19th Sep 2015
thanks for your helpful advice philphil61
satnewseuro

Post #8 is the deal here for you. Make sure you put this in writing.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants