Home Bargains selling Frozen themed champagne-style drink (Sparking fury)

Found 28th Dec 2015
I've just been reading this article regarding Home Bargains selling a £1.69 grape drink in the style of champagne bottle and branded with the Frozen theme targeted at young children.

It's obviously caused some concern from alcohol awareness groups who are worried:

“Selling products which not only normalise but glamorise alcohol could increase the risk of young people wanting to experiment with alcohol.”

“This product should be removed from sale immediately. Young children should not be targeted with champagne-style drinks to make them feel ‘sophisticated and grown-up’.”

Understandingly (as a parent) I can fully understand their worries regarding the product, BUT is it just a harmless gimmick or does the idea potentially cause problems for our children in their futures?

The most worrying, and careless part of the whole advertising from Home Bargains in my opinion was the description on their website which states...

“Little princes and princesses across the land who want to be more sophisticated can now have a grown-up alternative to juice and pop at parties."

What are your thoughts on this?
Community Updates
MiscChampagneDrinks
41 Comments
We've had this topic a few times Buzz.

This was the last time:

hotukdeals.com/dea…351

hotukdeals.com/dea…972

Personally I think it sends out the wrong message to the kids but, if parents want to encourage their kids to drink, let them get on with it.

http://i1167.photobucket.com/albums/q621/stuartjhanley/Mobile%20Uploads/snow%20white_zps5awz64e6.jpg
Edited by: "SJHan" 28th Dec 2015
stuarthanley

We've had this topic a few times Buzz. This was the last … We've had this topic a few times Buzz. This was the last time:http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/disney-frozen-non-alcoholic-popping-cork-party-drink-sparkling-white-grape-flavor-2349351Personally I think it sends out the wrong message to the kids but, if parents want to encourage their kids to drink, let them get on with it.

Ah my apologies man. I should have searched deals possibly
BuzzDuraband

Ah my apologies man. I should have searched deals possibly

No problem. There was a misc thread about it some time ago but I can't find it anymore.
Your new thread might get a bit more discussion too.

Disney's Inside Out Crack-pipes coming soon.
Edited by: "SJHan" 28th Dec 2015
Don't worry Buzz, we know you are a busy man X)
stuarthanley

We've had this topic a few times Buzz. This was the last … We've had this topic a few times Buzz. This was the last time:http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/disney-frozen-non-alcoholic-popping-cork-party-drink-sparkling-white-grape-flavor-2349351http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/frozen-non-alcoholic-champagne-2268972Personally I think it sends out the wrong message to the kids but, if parents want to encourage their kids to drink, let them get on with it.

So, you never drink beer or wine or any alcohol in front of your children...
szippancs

So, you never drink beer or wine or any alcohol in front of your … So, you never drink beer or wine or any alcohol in front of your children...

I'd have a job...
Do they not normalise the drinking of alcohol in france where is is not uncommon for children to have watered wine with dinner, or see adults have wine with dinner. I am not lead to believe france has a worse underage alcohol problem than the uk because of this.
ibblackberry1

Do they not normalise the drinking of alcohol in france where is is not … Do they not normalise the drinking of alcohol in france where is is not uncommon for children to have watered wine with dinner, or see adults have wine with dinner. I am not lead to believe france has a worse underage alcohol problem than the uk because of this.

Dunno but having typed "France alcohol" into Google, the internet seems to be awash with stories of underaged drinking, binge drinking, too lenient alcohol laws etc...
stuarthanley

Dunno but having typed "France alcohol" into Google, the internet seems … Dunno but having typed "France alcohol" into Google, the internet seems to be awash with stories of underaged drinking, binge drinking, too lenient alcohol laws etc...

I don't perceive it to be worse than here. But not really an argument worth having over a bottle of grape juice.
ibblackberry1

I don't perceive it to be worse than here. But not really an argument … I don't perceive it to be worse than here. But not really an argument worth having over a bottle of grape juice.

No. As I've said. I don't agree with it myself but I'm not the parents of these kids. Give them vodka and coke in a star wars flask, it isn't my call.
stuarthanley

No. As I've said. I don't agree with it myself but I'm not the parents of … No. As I've said. I don't agree with it myself but I'm not the parents of these kids. Give them vodka and coke in a star wars flask, it isn't my call.

I got similar "champagne" 20-25 years ago and I'm not an alcoholic. Actually I don't drink at all. The main thing is what children see from their parents. If they have their beer every evening with dinner than it's going to be normal for them and they will have theirs when they grow up.
szippancs

I got similar "champagne" 20-25 years ago and I'm not an alcoholic. … I got similar "champagne" 20-25 years ago and I'm not an alcoholic. Actually I don't drink at all. The main thing is what children see from their parents. If they have their beer every evening with dinner than it's going to be normal for them and they will have theirs when they grow up.

The way I see it, and again, it's IMO, is that Disney are producing or putting their branding on something that is designed to resemble an alcoholic beverage and are then marketing it at little children.
When I was a little kid (and I'd say it was roughly the same time as you) I couldn't have cared less what my parents were drinking with their evening meal or whilst out at the social club but if HE-MAN or Optimus Prime had been swigging from a bottle of Jack Daniels, I'd have been all over it.
My Mum and dad were big drinkers and drug users and my dad is a raging alcoholic. I and my Husband are non drinkers and non smokers . Yet I bought some of this for the kids to " toast " my oldests wedding . No one made a big deal , no child was harmed or now has a drink problem . In fact they didn't notice it was like the champagne they were more Into the characters - I don't know why this keeps on being in the news or the subject returning - although I suppose in a way it's along the lines of when we had candy cigarettes or liquorice pipes , maybe . Drinking excessively and Smoking around kids as they grow up does more to normalise and encourage them than this . Loads of middle class mumsys probably typing furiously to mums net as they pour theirselves yet another glass of wine and dad downs his 5th beer and a sneaky spliff . Bring them up with a healthy understanding of drink and apart from the usual teenage years they probably won't turn into addicts just because when they were 6 they saw elsa on a bottle of fruit juice .
People are going to turn out however they are going to its not sending out the wrong message at all.

Most everyone I know got wine at christmas and special occasions anyway so better they drink this crap then real alcohol.
Oh my the outrage! Get a grip of yourself if you find this unsuitable.

I had candy cigarettes, cider flavoured ice lollies and beer flavoured jelly sweets. I rarely drink and have never smoked.

Shloer is in fancy bottles where is the outrage regarding this?

Seriously, give your head a wobble if you find this offensive.
Edited by: "Paddy_o_furniture" 28th Dec 2015
loisgriffin

My Mum and dad were big drinkers and drug users and my dad is a raging … My Mum and dad were big drinkers and drug users and my dad is a raging alcoholic. I and my Husband are non drinkers and non smokers . Yet I bought some of this for the kids to " toast " my oldests wedding . No one made a big deal , no child was harmed or now has a drink problem . In fact they didn't notice it was like the champagne they were more Into the characters - I don't know why this keeps on being in the news or the subject returning - although I suppose in a way it's along the lines of when we had candy cigarettes or liquorice pipes , maybe . Drinking excessively and Smoking around kids as they grow up does more to normalise and encourage them than this . Loads of middle class mumsys probably typing furiously to mums net as they pour theirselves yet another glass of wine and dad downs his 5th beer and a sneaky spliff . Bring them up with a healthy understanding of drink and apart from the usual teenage years they probably won't turn into addicts just because when they were 6 they saw elsa on a bottle of fruit juice .

Very well said I believe in not hiding my children from things in this world, we have a bot of wine every other day an my kids don't think nothing of it I want them to be aware of drink an drugs, hide them away an pretend things don't exist in this world when they get older there going to want to try it more.My son had a bottle of batman fizz this Christmas an loved it because it was batman not because it looked like a wine bottle.
loisgriffin

My Mum and dad were big drinkers and drug users and my dad is a raging … My Mum and dad were big drinkers and drug users and my dad is a raging alcoholic. I and my Husband are non drinkers and non smokers . Yet I bought some of this for the kids to " toast " my oldests wedding . No one made a big deal , no child was harmed or now has a drink problem . In fact they didn't notice it was like the champagne they were more Into the characters - I don't know why this keeps on being in the news or the subject returning - although I suppose in a way it's along the lines of when we had candy cigarettes or liquorice pipes , maybe . Drinking excessively and Smoking around kids as they grow up does more to normalise and encourage them than this . Loads of middle class mumsys probably typing furiously to mums net as they pour theirselves yet another glass of wine and dad downs his 5th beer and a sneaky spliff . Bring them up with a healthy understanding of drink and apart from the usual teenage years they probably won't turn into addicts just because when they were 6 they saw elsa on a bottle of fruit juice .

Ahhh Mums net the place of experts on every topic including being self-righteous, medically trained and simply above question on every view point.
Get a life
Graham1979

Ahhh Mums net the place of experts on every topic including being … Ahhh Mums net the place of experts on every topic including being self-righteous, medically trained and simply above question on every view point.

That's the one . If I could give one bit of advice to any new parent , it would be to avoid that snobby smug pit of parental prattiness.
miles136

Get a life

Let it go.
Not fussed either way, just wish it was champagne at that price
Surely it should be 'sparkling' fury ?
I got 1 of these for xmas day for the kids table, they saw it as nothing more than posh princess juice! Its a bit of fun! We dont drink at home, VERY rarely go out (twice in 4 years) so the kids arent put in any situation where they could potentially drink any alcohol! That is our choice because we are their parents other people chose different ways to bring their kids up and thats up to them! We used to live opposite a pub with a beer garden with a bouncy castle and park in which was generally full of kids weekdays and weekends! Couldnt do that with my children!
FantasyDeals

Let it go.

Dont hold him back anymore
ellese

I got 1 of these for xmas day for the kids table, they saw it as nothing … I got 1 of these for xmas day for the kids table, they saw it as nothing more than posh princess juice! Its a bit of fun! We dont drink at home, VERY rarely go out (twice in 4 years) so the kids arent put in any situation where they could potentially drink any alcohol! That is our choice because we are their parents other people chose different ways to bring their kids up and thats up to them! We used to live opposite a pub with a beer garden with a bouncy castle and park in which was generally full of kids weekdays and weekends! Couldnt do that with my children!

Thats what MJ said X)
summerof76

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f1ZFqspW-ksX)

X)

Roses are Red
Violets are Blue
He he
I've got a Gun
Now get in the Van
one_way

X)Roses are RedViolets are BlueHe heI've got a GunNow get in the Van

oO X)

I want

FantasyDeals

Let it go.

I want to build a snowman
I remember driving my tractor to the corner shop for a can of Panda Shandy when I was 4. Did me know harm, I can't remember the last 30+ years mind you.
What about the Batman Non Alcoholic drink that was sold in Tesco before Christmas? Not really publicised but available

http://pi.ce-tescoassets.com/assets/HU/332/5999883580332/ShotType1_328x328.jpg

There seems to be a story made from nothing. How many times does a young child see an adult drinking and want to drink the same? so you give them something fizzy and day its the same? It's in a controlled manor where you can pretend what they're drinking.
Bring back chocolate fags and make them smoke them outside in the rain.
99p in £stretcher ...
Absolute joke, some people just love to feel important by getting offended by mundane things. These alcohol free champagne style kids drinks have been about for years...as if a child is going to make a connection between the frozen bottle and wanting to drink?! With that logic, does playing with swords and toy guns make children violent?

Sounds like a few "full time yummy mummies" need another hobby.
http://alantierney.ie/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/lovejoy3.jpg
Cazza123ann

99p in £stretcher ...

I want some of these are they still available in anyone's store or online?x
Drinking alcohol is considered the norm. Those who choose not to drink are considered to be the strange ones. Not ideal but this is the truth, for some reason alcohol manages to avoid the same fate as cigarettes and remains popular despite the negatives. In fact I remember buying chocolate cigarettes when I was a child.. They tasted horrible but at least I looked cool!
Its not this that encourages them to drink, its the fact that 99% of the population worship alcohol!
surely putting alcohol in would give more of a buzz. dumb idea for dummies!
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants