Home brewing equipment

I got a real ale kit for Christmas but I don't have any of the equipment to make it with. Anyone know the cheapest place to get the basics I need for it?

14 Comments

wilkos used to be good for that kind if stuff.

Tesco. Been brewing my own for 5 years now. It's really very easy to do now and costs 40p per pint. You may need some brewing sugar, I wouldn't advise using the 'enhanced' sugar, makes the beer overly lively in my opinion.
Use old pop bottles for bottling.

Aren't most of the kits self contained and include pretty much everything apart from the bottles?

Original Poster

eternaldragonuk

wilkos used to be good for that kind if stuff.

Cheers. I was hoping there would be a full kit including the bottles, but the only one on there seems to be 20 pints, whereas the kit I got is for 40.

Found this on Amazon for £35, is that cheaper than buying the bits separately from Wilko? I have no idea what I'm doing or what I need!

Original Poster

redcantona

Tesco. Been brewing my own for 5 years now. It's really very easy to do … Tesco. Been brewing my own for 5 years now. It's really very easy to do now and costs 40p per pint. You may need some brewing sugar, I wouldn't advise using the 'enhanced' sugar, makes the beer overly lively in my opinion.Use old pop bottles for bottling.

I was planning to check Tesco so I'll have a look. The kit I've got includes sugar.

joedastudd

Aren't most of the kits self contained and include pretty much everything … Aren't most of the kits self contained and include pretty much everything apart from the bottles?

This is literally just the ingredients, no equipment at all. It's this one: amazon.co.uk/You…kit

Check your local area for a brew shop, you'll find it better there and more helpful.

Any of the kits are fine. It's basically just a bucket. Get some sterilising fluid because it's essential everything is clean. Pour in the ale add the sugar and water, leave for a minimum 7 days, I prefer 8 to 10 then add a spoonful of granulated sugar prefer 500ml of liquid to each bottle. Leave for about a week, enjoy.
Just one other word, mine is quite potent so drink in moderation. Also because of the cold weather you may want to invest in a heat mat because if it's too cold it will take longer to brew.
If you need any further help contact me.

Any of the cans will do but bin the yeast and buy decent, wikos is worth a look or find a local craft place, check out local micro breweries, all mine were exellent, free advice and fascinating tours they give.

Ask your local bar to put bottles in crates, I have around 100 old bud bottles that can be cleaned in a bath, the old 20p deposit Barr bottles are great when sharing with friends.

#1 tip is go careful with sugar when you bottle your brew, too much and all you end up with is a fridge full of mess and bottles that explode on opening.

Got some spare bits here, where abouts are you? I'm Portsmouth way, welcome to it if local.

Richie's tip is a good one. I've had a couple go off like Yosemite geysers, luckily my wife wasn't there to witness else my brewing days would be over.

I've never had a problem with the included yeast. I brew Cooper's or Wilco's it usually starts within 30 mins.
Edited by: "redcantona" 3rd Jan

I bought a set for an xmas pressie from these guys for £27.50

bil…rew.wixsite.com/bil…rew

Arrived quickly and seemed to have all the bits you need. This had a the beer kit included which you already have, so you might be able to source the bits for less elsewhere (or you can use it twice to give you 80 pints!)

Evilmonkey

I bought a set for an xmas pressie from these guys for … I bought a set for an xmas pressie from these guys for £27.50http://bilstonhomebrew.wixsite.com/bilstonhomebrewArrived quickly and seemed to have all the bits you need. This had a the beer kit included which you already have, so you might be able to source the bits for less elsewhere (or you can use it twice to give you 80 pints!)

​Great price. You should post it in the deals section.

I got my b/f a punk IPA kit for his birthday, he opened a bottle last week and the awaited beer ended up all over the floor after shooting off the metal swing cap, not much impressed, but what was left was nice. Kit was pricey, but you can get similar hops online, the sky's the limit Be careful, you might end up with a brewing addiction as said above wilko's good place to get bits of kit, apparently

Original Poster

Evilmonkey

I bought a set for an xmas pressie from these guys for … I bought a set for an xmas pressie from these guys for £27.50http://bilstonhomebrew.wixsite.com/bilstonhomebrewArrived quickly and seemed to have all the bits you need. This had a the beer kit included which you already have, so you might be able to source the bits for less elsewhere (or you can use it twice to give you 80 pints!)

That's perfect, thanks. Much cheaper than I've found for myself. Like redcantona said, you should post it as a deal!
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Car Leasing Deals (Audi, Golf or Scirocco)11
    2. Electricity11
    3. Which Smart Watch for Running?25
    4. Which Camera?!!!22

See more discussions