Unfortunately, this discussion is no longer valid
Expired

Home buyers report one thing worrying me

Posted 15th Oct
The chimney breast in the front bedroom has been removed. The masonry above is not properly supported and improvements are needed.

Most of the stuff is what I expected as it’s a refurb job and the home is probate

But this has me worried , stack is shared also

Any thoughts ??
Community Updates
Ask
11 Comments
Sounds like that will need an RSJ.
You will need some gallow brackets installed in the loft to supports the chimney, like this:
blsurveyors.com/a-g…ts/
What exactly did the Surveyor say? What have they suggested to remedy the situation? Have they recommended some of the mortgage money be withheld until rectified?
JimboParrot15/10/2019 23:54

What exactly did the Surveyor say? What have they suggested to remedy the …What exactly did the Surveyor say? What have they suggested to remedy the situation? Have they recommended some of the mortgage money be withheld until rectified?

The above is a quote from the home buyer report, valuation survey was fine
ashmac16/10/2019 00:09

The above is a quote from the home buyer report, valuation survey was fine

Valuation survey is nothing like a structural survey. Did you have a structural survey? If not, you really need one before buying. Unless you have deep pockets
Edited by: "Ringfinger" 16th Oct
Ringfinger16/10/2019 07:51

Valuation survey is nothing like a structural survey. Did you have a …Valuation survey is nothing like a structural survey. Did you have a structural survey? If not, you really need one before buying. Unless you have deep pockets

I had a full home buyer report done by a surveyor

This is what I had done surely this is enough?

Survey level two: HomeBuyer report - Survey and Valuation

Contents
A Introduction to the report
B About the inspection
C Overall opinion and summary of the condition ratings
D About the property
E Outside the property
F Inside the property
G Services
H Grounds (including shared areas for flats)
I Issues for your legal advisers
J Risks
K Valuation
L Surveyor’s declaration
What to do now
Description of the RICS HomeBuyer (Survey & Valuation) Service Home Surveys information sheet
Typical house diagram
Maintenance tips
RICS is the world’s leading qualification when it comes to professional standards in land, property and construction.
In a world where more and more people, governments, banks and commercial organisations demand greater certainty
Edited by: "ashmac" 16th Oct
"Homebuyers Surveys (RICS Level 2) A homebuyers survey is an intermediate level survey which provides a general overview of the building, its construction build-up and defects noted. This survey includes a property valuation which is unique to this service."
Note the 'intermediate'... Its not comprehensive unfortunately. It has found a defect which you should now investigate further. Unlike damp or rotten floorboards, several tonnes of bricks falling on your head during a storm could be detrimental to your health.
The chimney breast is a large part of supporting your house so it would definitely need work on it. It may be worth getting quotes and telling the seller to knock the price off the house. It really needs doing as soon as possible though
MonkeyMan9016/10/2019 09:07

The chimney breast is a large part of supporting your house.

That is simply not true, in virtually all cases a full chimney can be removed from top to bottom without any loss of support.

It is common place to remove chimney breasts to enlarge the rooms they pass through, do you think that people who have their chimney breasts removed risk their houses falling down? If you remove them completely they normally don't need any RSJ's or gallows hangers because there is nothing left to support.

The only issue (as in this case) is when people partially remove a chimney breast and leave the remainder unsupported in the loft, they do this because they don't want to reroof or its a shared stack, an unsupported chimney could collapse, not something I would want to sleep below!
Email/contact the Surveyor asking for further advice.

You may need to serve notice under the Party Wall Act as it is a joint stack and needs removing, so will need your Solicitor involved, plus might need Building Control approval. A Structural Engineer's report may also be required.

All very much 'ifs and buts'.
Thanks for advice, spoke to survey guy and I know what needs doing
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants