Home CCTV

Found 22nd Dec 2017
I've had a quote for around £400 to have two cameras and a 1tb recorder fitted at my home.
Anyone know what type of cameras and system I should be asking for or expecting at that price point? What kind of functionality is to be anticipated?

Thanks.
Community Updates
Ask
7 Comments
Why don't you take a look at Blink or Arlo?

Easy to fit, completely wireless and sync to the cloud/smart phone
Seems pretty reasonable but would query the brand of the cameras as some are better than others. I installed my own system. Recently replaced my old BNC type cameras and DVR with 4 x HikVision Dome & Turret POE IP cameras all linked back to a HikVision NVR. Kit cost me around £600 and around a day to install.

I bought everything from cctvkits.co.uk. They were really helpful.

If you are planning to access your cameras/recording device externally out and about, you will need to configure your router to allow you to do so. They may offer to do this for you, possibly not. I am an Network engineer by trade so did this my self.

Good luck and hope it works out
If you have good internet speeds they hopefully you will get an NVR as apposed to DVR. NVR uses your network so it will record to your harddrive which will also provide you internet access for your phones, tablets and other devices to view cameras from anywhere. Dvr is old hat and just records to drive and you will only access from a connected monitor. As for cameras I highly recommend hikvision (preferably domed ip cameras)to prevent cobwebs over the lens that you tend to get from bullet cameras. Hikvision also provides fantastic apps and software. Another software I recommend is blue iris for ip cameras as its great for my desktop pc setup it allows upto 50 something cameras and is fairly easy to setup. I hope this helps.
Edited by: "100Cookies" 22nd Dec 2017
£400 will be some generic camera system, swann or other rebadge costing £150 or so. As above I'd recommend Arlo or blink (which I have) motion alerts are useful, doesn't require drilling and batteries last a good few months. Don't think blink have released the waterproof camera yet, mine are mounted in undercover areas.

Otherwise NVR is the way forward, I just hate wires and drilling.
I see Blink has been bought by Amazon. Will be interesting to see if it remains subscription free.
Also worth considering Reolink Argus - same as Blink and Arlo, fully waterproof but doesnt require then sync/hub unit.
twindy2 h, 12 m ago

I see Blink has been bought by Amazon. Will be interesting to see if it …I see Blink has been bought by Amazon. Will be interesting to see if it remains subscription free. Also worth considering Reolink Argus - same as Blink and Arlo, fully waterproof but doesnt require then sync/hub unit.

Didn't realise that. I'm heavily in to the Amazon ecosystem so I see it as a good thing.
100Cookies22nd Dec

If you have good internet speeds they hopefully you will get an NVR as …If you have good internet speeds they hopefully you will get an NVR as apposed to DVR. NVR uses your network so it will record to your harddrive which will also provide you internet access for your phones, tablets and other devices to view cameras from anywhere. Dvr is old hat and just records to drive and you will only access from a connected monitor. As for cameras I highly recommend hikvision (preferably domed ip cameras)to prevent cobwebs over the lens that you tend to get from bullet cameras. Hikvision also provides fantastic apps and software. Another software I recommend is blue iris for ip cameras as its great for my desktop pc setup it allows upto 50 something cameras and is fairly easy to setup. I hope this helps.

Have you got any pics of quality night and day?
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants