Home CCTV system advice.

Found 20th Oct 2017
hi,
Looking for advice/recommends for domestic CCTV system.
standard 3 need semi house. drive to front, passageway to side (gated), enclosed garden at rear.
looking for.
external security lighting X 3
all round external. camera coverage so 4 total external cameras to put on corners ( 1 front, 2 passageway 1 rear. )
1 indoor camera for front porch
1 camera for stairs.

the house has WiFi.

does that spec sound right?
best way to sort control of the system (smartphone?)
how to deal with storing images?

I'm ok at DIY so self installation preferred.

help appreciated
Community Updates
Ask
6 Comments
I fitted a Swann system a couple of years ago - two cameras outside, one inside. My kit has the capability for 4 cameras but the model up does 8 cameras. Got it at a discounted price on ebay.

I put the NVR in the loft - this connects to each of the cameras via an ethernet cable (providing power). I did this as it was the central point for all the wiring and also I thought it was pointless having it at a convenient location in the house in case anyone who breaks in just nicked it to remove the evidence. I then bought some long HDMI, USB and power extension cables and ran these from the loft to a bedroom so that I can control the unit via a monitor and keyboard. Can't remember how long it records for but it is something around a week. I don't have any cloud storage.

It has a phone app - so can monitor all cameras wherever I am. Also can get emailed motion detection alerts.

My external cameras are probably fitted too high up for an optimum facial image - think they are recommended to be 8-10 ft high but I thought this too low for someone to be able to obliterate the lens with a spray can (I must have watched too many crime movies!)

I chose this system rather than something wifi as I would still have to run power cables to each camera.
Look at an IP cameras system, poe means only need to run one set of cables for power and video together. Hikvision do good systems

Be wary of nvrs in lofts they can get quite warm up there if insulated and floored etc.
Netgear Arlo Pro. Flexible placement with edge recording to USB storage and one week free cloud storage. A bit expensive and rarely discounted.
mrwhitelabel22nd Oct

Look at an IP cameras system, poe means only need to run one set of cables …Look at an IP cameras system, poe means only need to run one set of cables for power and video together. Hikvision do good systemsBe wary of nvrs in lofts they can get quite warm up there if insulated and floored etc.

I have mine up in a well insulated attic, I have been concerned about it overheating I must admit
snoopy1813 m ago

I have mine up in a well insulated attic, I have been concerned about it …I have mine up in a well insulated attic, I have been concerned about it overheating I must admit

Is it above the insulation? Mine loft has vents fitted so even on the hottest days doesn't get much above 30°C.
Van19739 h, 0 m ago

Is it above the insulation? Mine loft has vents fitted so even on the …Is it above the insulation? Mine loft has vents fitted so even on the hottest days doesn't get much above 30°C.

It’s sat on wooden floor boards that are a walkway so not much insulation undeer
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants