Groups
    EXPIRED

Home Cinema/ Amp around £100

Looking for a decent home cinema system - possibly just the amp for around £100. Anyone got an recommendations?

12 Comments

What you looking for?

5.1, 7.1 or 2.1?
    All in one or just an amp?

Original Poster

I'm after either just an amp or the whole system. Looking for recommendations for both.
    Preferably 5.1

TheMetalMan;4537870

I'm after either just an amp or the whole system. Looking for … I'm after either just an amp or the whole system. Looking for recommendations for both.Preferably 5.1

Argos do a small selection... argos.co.uk/web…5.1

Original Poster

spann3rs;4537956

Argos do a small selection... … Argos do a small selection... http://www.argos.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Search?storeId=10001&catalogId=1500001501&langId=-1&searchTerms=5.1

Thanks but really looking for recommendations on specific items as I don't really know what I'm looking for. Rep added for effort - thanks

Also forgot to mention - this will be connected to a 360 and PS3 so 2 optical inputs would be excellent.

TheMetalMan;4537993

Thanks but really looking for recommendations on specific items as I … Thanks but really looking for recommendations on specific items as I don't really know what I'm looking for. Rep added for effort - thanks :)Also forgot to mention - this will be connected to a 360 and PS3 so 2 optical inputs would be excellent.

Personally I would go for a dedicated AV Reciever. I would definatly recomend any Harman Kardon amps. Dont be put off by the 'low' wattage as HK's as they pump much more than advertised. Cambridge Audio do pretty good AV Receivers.

If your connection and xbox and ps3 why not connect audio thru' HDMI. Much better audio quality than optical. Obviously if its not an elite xbox then optical will have to do...

On your budget you may struggle to get something which supports HDMI, but I would suggest holding off on this purchase until there is enough money in the pot to buy something futureproof.

J

Original Poster

spann3rs;4538140

Personally I would go for a dedicated AV Reciever. I would definatly … Personally I would go for a dedicated AV Reciever. I would definatly recomend any Harman Kardon amps. Dont be put off by the 'low' wattage as HK's as they pump much more than advertised. Cambridge Audio do pretty good AV Receivers. If your connection and xbox and ps3 why not connect audio thru' HDMI. Much better audio quality than optical. Obviously if its not an elite xbox then optical will have to do...On your budget you may struggle to get something which supports HDMI, but I would suggest holding off on this purchase until there is enough money in the pot to buy something futureproof. J

Great thanks for the advice, I'll have a look around for those makes. How would I go about connecting it up through HDMI? Would the systems go into the AV receiver and then another HDMI from the AV to TV? Sorry I'm really new to this and you seem to know what you're talking about

TheMetalMan;4538191

Great thanks for the advice, I'll have a look around for those makes. … Great thanks for the advice, I'll have a look around for those makes. How would I go about connecting it up through HDMI? Would the systems go into the AV receiver and then another HDMI from the AV to TV? Sorry I'm really new to this and you seem to know what you're talking about

You have it spot on...

Also look out for Onkyo, Sony and Yamaha.

If your not a member, head over to AVforums.com. Plenty of threads of people in your boat...

J

Original Poster

spann3rs;4538259

You have it spot on... Also look out for Onkyo, Sony and Yamaha.If your … You have it spot on... Also look out for Onkyo, Sony and Yamaha.If your not a member, head over to AVforums.com. Plenty of threads of people in your boat... J

Thanks very much So ideally I need one with 3 HDMI inputs (1 for Xbox, PS3 then 3rd for Sky/Virgin HD if we get it in the future)
    Will pop over to AV forums and have a read over there.
    Not sure on the pricing of the Harman Kardon stuff but I work about a 10 minute drive from where their only UK stockist is.

TheMetalMan;4538287

Thanks very much So ideally I need one with 3 HDMI inputs (1 for Xbox, … Thanks very much So ideally I need one with 3 HDMI inputs (1 for Xbox, PS3 then 3rd for Sky/Virgin HD if we get it in theWill pop over to AV forums and have a read over there. Not sure on the pricing of the Harman Kardon stuff but I work about a 10 minute drive from where their only UK stockist is.

Perfect! Might be able to either get a very good deal or a demo. (Ask around to see if anyone you know is friendly with anyone who works there, might be able to get a discount) AV is a bug and once you have it its with you for life!!

Yeah, go for 3 HDMI minimum, try and futureproof as much as you can... look out for Dolby TrueHD DTS-HD and other HD sound formats.

Original Poster

Excellent. Thanks for all your help, would leave you more rep if I could

I would go the Fleebay route for this,Saw a Denon AVR3802 go for £130 last week, which is 7.1,120 watt per channel, and mine cost me £800 five years ago,And a good Amp is always a good Amp.

Original Poster

babylon;4545003

I would go the Fleebay route for this,Saw a Denon AVR3802 go for £130 … I would go the Fleebay route for this,Saw a Denon AVR3802 go for £130 last week, which is 7.1,120 watt per channel, and mine cost me £800 five years ago,And a good Amp is always a good Amp.

That is a beast! Don't think I need anything with that many connections. Thanks for the recommendation though. Rep left for you
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Virgin media sign up23
      2. BT sport on sky boxes12
      3. Amazon spend £20 and get £5 extra11
      4. Samsung Galaxy S622

See more discussions