Groups

home cinema system

I'm thinking of getting my fella a new cinema system for his birthday coming up, he has a Samsung one at the mo and it has never worked properly since he got it! can anyone recommend a decent... but not too expensive one! should I go for a blu-ray one or normal? many thanks

20 Comments

that way ------------------------>

Original Poster

wickedteen

that way ------------------------>

ha ha

Can you elaborate on "it has never worked properly since he got it!"
    A new system isn't going to help if the samsung hasn't been installed correctly.
    If it's nothing to do with the set-up then why wasn't it returned as faulty?

Original Poster

Mellow Yellow

Can you elaborate on "it has never worked properly since he got it!"A new … Can you elaborate on "it has never worked properly since he got it!"A new system isn't going to help if the samsung hasn't been installed correctly.If it's nothing to do with the set-up then why wasn't it returned as faulty?

well it went back to the shop 3 times with a noisey fan (away for about 3 weeks each time) then it kept turning itself off but was then out of warranty so samsung wouldn't help apart from tell me that "yes it is faulty" keeps going into protection mode when watching t.v through it but worked ok when playing dvds

What's the budget?

Original Poster

sancho1983

What's the budget?

erm around £200/£250 max really if not I'll have to re-think what to get

Has he got a Full HD TV??
    Or a PS3??

Original Poster

Kermit2004

Has he got a Full HD TV??Or a PS3??

full hd t.v

Original Poster

sancho1983

http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/onkyo-txsr507-av-receiver-onkyo-sks/720377Is a very good deal.If he's happy with the speakers then maybe just go for an amphttp://www.richersounds.com/product/av-receivers/sony/strdh500/sony-strdh500

lol I did see the top one earlier but because it didn't say 'cinema system' I didn't know what it was
    I'll take a look now
    and yes nothing wrong at all with his speakers tbh they have hardly been used so practically like new so would he get away with an amp?

ta, if I could rep ya I would x

What about a PS3 as that can act as a Blu-Ray player and he can use it for playing games and ignoring you...

Original Poster

Kermit2004

What about a PS3 as that can act as a Blu-Ray player and he can use it … What about a PS3 as that can act as a Blu-Ray player and he can use it for playing games and ignoring you...

oh he ignores me very well at the moment anyway lol, he was looking at ps3's a couple of months ago maybe he was dropping hints. I'll have a look thanks x

kirsty1981

oh he ignores me very well at the moment anyway lol, he was looking at … oh he ignores me very well at the moment anyway lol, he was looking at ps3's a couple of months ago maybe he was dropping hints. I'll have a look thanks x

Well if he was looking and your budget is around the price of a PS3 then I'd say go for it.
    Just give him "house rules" for when you're about. If he fails to stick to them you could always hide the power cable!!

A PS3 is not a home cinema system. Do you want a all in one or a seperates system? This one here looks good value for money. ONKYO HTS3305 .

Original Poster

Kermit2004

Well if he was looking and your budget is around the price of a PS3 then … Well if he was looking and your budget is around the price of a PS3 then I'd say go for it. Just give him "house rules" for when you're about. If he fails to stick to them you could always hide the power cable!!

or tie the cable around his neck

thanks for your help x

dananana

A PS3 is not a home cinema system. Do you want a all in one or a … A PS3 is not a home cinema system. Do you want a all in one or a seperates system? This one here looks good value for money. ONKYO HTS3305 .

If it were me I'd prefer to buy my own home cinema system, being a guy I'd appreciate the thought but I'd be in a bit of a dillema if I wanted a system but was bought one I wouldn't have gone for.
    So if it needed to go back I'd be a little split.
    PS3 isn't a home cinema system although it's an alternative option as sounds like the Samsung system just needs to be linked up properly and from the sounds of things be in working order.

Original Poster

Kermit2004

If it were me I'd prefer to buy my own home cinema system, being a guy … If it were me I'd prefer to buy my own home cinema system, being a guy I'd appreciate the thought but I'd be in a bit of a dillema if I wanted a system but was bought one I wouldn't have gone for. So if it needed to go back I'd be a little split.PS3 isn't a home cinema system although it's an alternative option as sounds like the Samsung system just needs to be linked up properly and from the sounds of things be in working order.

I think you are probably right, I have no idea (as you can tell) about cinema systems so will probably get the wrong one so I'll probably be safer getting the ps3 thanks x

thanks for everyones help and advice x

Original Poster

dcx_badass

I'd ask him about the home cinema system, I'd much rather have one than a … I'd ask him about the home cinema system, I'd much rather have one than a PS3.

ooooo I don't know what to do lol if I ask him then he'll know what he's getting but being as he'll be 30 does it really matter if its not a surprise?? lol

Just get him a card.
    Or ask one of his mates, if they don't know get them to ask discretely, or you could try yourself.
    You could always pop into Ann Summers and get yourself something...then he can unwrap it later?!? Just do it more than for his birthday!!

Original Poster

Kermit2004

Just get him a card.Or ask one of his mates, if they don't know get them … Just get him a card.Or ask one of his mates, if they don't know get them to ask discretely, or you could try yourself.You could always pop into Ann Summers and get yourself something...then he can unwrap it later?!? Just do it more than for his birthday!!

excellent x
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Tv choice magazine Issue 3966
      2. Win a Free minion usb stick22
      3. Win 1 of 3 x £1000 Selfridges vouchers with Virgin Trains66
      4. Magazine competitions - Issue 37 @ tvchoicemagazine.co.uk2020

See more discussions