Groups

Home contents insurance.

What is the average for this per month please. Going through all my Direct debits and want to reduce bills in 2015! Been with lloyds for years but £17.00 seems like a lot?

19 Comments

How can anyone answer that when area and type of cover is a massive factor?

Banned

Depends on your circumstances/needs, why not go on one of the insurance quote comparison sites and see what you are offered and work an average out from there?

My quote for buiding/contents and accidental content damage is £25pm house value of £100k and £75k contents.

home insurance always seems to be a pain in the ass to pay until you need it one day

i had a burst pipe about 6 years ago and had to move out of my home for about 5 weeks, the whole of the downstairs was virtually ruined(kitchen, living room, dining room...) and i ended up with a substantial payout that measly monthly payment could not add up to in about 80 years

Same thing occurred to me about 6 years ago ,always paid the insurance with the mortgage (Buildings and contents ) about £25 per month . Only when I went on the compare sites did I realise I could get it for £120 a year ,saving £180 .
    Depends on your Postcode (how many tea leafs frequent the locality ) ,your excess , whether you want accidental damage etc . Based on what I pay you're probably looking at £60 - £90 a year ( I paid £140 Buildings and contents with accidental damage etc) through Legal and General who were giving a £80 Amazon voucher cashback last month - so about £60 ! (found on Money Saving Expert ). If that's not still on try for a quote on Quidco compare , I would expect it to be £60 -£90 per year with £30 ish cashback - £5 -£7 a month .:) .

Edited by: "rogparki" 4th Jan 2015

Banned

Yes 17 a month is a lot for just contents.

Use a few comparison sites to get a better deal

3 bed semi in Derby
    40k cover with accidental damage
    Contents only £7pm

I sell home insurance and £17 seems alot. As others have said, do a comparison. With home insurance it's always good to compare different policies side to side. Many don't cover for damage pets or children cause and also bear in mind personal possesions cover, so if you're out and about and you lose your bag or it's stolen, and you're phone/ipad/purse/wallet/keys are in there, they're covered. Also, look at additional extras such legal cover if you think you need it, and extra accidental damage for things like burns, spills etc.

Original Poster

I've just done a price comparison and Tesco is coming out the cheapest. Would any body recommend them for Insurance?

use go compare, compare the market etc

Original Poster

srp111

use go compare, compare the market etc

Thanks that's what I just did and Tesco came out best.

louisebarker

I've just done a price comparison and Tesco is coming out the cheapest. … I've just done a price comparison and Tesco is coming out the cheapest. Would any body recommend them for Insurance?

I see no reason why they won't be absolutely fine to insure with, although I haven't looked at the policy terms so it is worth double checking what is covered - or not - for this price and that is all that you want.

Tesco Personal Finance used to be run by Aviva but I think they took it in-house a good few years back. Any regulated insurer, as this is, has to satisfy pretty stringent capital requirements so they are relatively unlikely to fail

Remember to use TCB or Quidco.

Banned

louisebarker

Thanks that's what I just did and Tesco came out best.

How much did you save a month out of interest?

Original Poster

Nearly £13.00

I pay £12 per month for 75k worth of contents; £17 is a rip off IMHO.

roof30

I pay £12 per month for 75k worth of contents; £17 is a rip off IMHO.

I pay less than that for buildings and contents . You must live in a high crime postcode or maybe not done a proper comparison . You should always do a comparison every year , never accept the insurers renewal quote .

Thanks for your 'insightful' comment. I did several comparisons and the company I used was far cheaper than anywhere else. I also didn't accept the insurers quote, which was almost £20 per month. But thanks for your 'advice'.

Definatly shop around and use quidco/topcashback
    Each area will be different
    Remember property value is rebuild cost so less than market value
    Last year we paid £136 for house and contents
    With £60 topcashback
    And £40 b & q voucher
    £36 for a years cover ..... thankyou
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Virgin Media - what is a good price?39