Home gym - outdoors?

Posted 21st Jun
I really miss the weights

I see a lot of garage gym ideas, but not many back garden type gyms. My back garden has grey stone slab. I was thinking of a retractable garden canopy (covers the rain) and adding a hood for speakers (should the time come).

Is it plausible?

Is a budget of £1k enough to build a home gym? Would £2k be good for a good quality small setup?

Ideally, I would like:

• Olympic 2028 bar (£120)
  • Bumper plates - 150kg (£400)
  • Thor Power Rack w/ Lat pulldown (£630)
  • Zeuss Utility Bench (£230)
  • Lat pull down weights (£??)
(Already at c.£1500 from new prices)

Alternatively, instead of a power rack, a Mirafit squat/bench kit ( mirafit.co.uk/mir…tml ) for £270 - any insight on this? Ngl, I don't really squat, mostly bench/rows

These are mostly new prices from shops like Strength Shop UK. I am hoping to find used stuff, I live in a fairly quiet city in the NW, so not sure if gumtree would be too useful (but willing to travel to places like Newcastle to pickup gear - not sure how I would actually transport the big stuff though).

Can anyone advice on good brands and prices I should be looking at to buy used? I don't even want to look at dumbbells.. they look hella expensive and I can just get all the work done with barbells until I can afford them.
Community Updates
Ask
Top comments
If I were you, I’d wait for a couple of months. Sites like Gumtree and Shpock will be absolutely awash with nearly new gym equipment when lockdown is over.
10 Comments
If I were you, I’d wait for a couple of months. Sites like Gumtree and Shpock will be absolutely awash with nearly new gym equipment when lockdown is over.
As the comment above. If you’re planning on building your home gym, wait til they lift lockdown. It sounds counter-productive but you’ll save a lot of money as they’ve heavily inflated the price during the lockdown. We’re only 2 weeks away. Also, best to look for a multi station. Personally, I would look for something like this. Then purchase a lot of attachments like a lat pull down bar & close grip handle & rope. Chain the pulley together at the top, and create a lat pull down. Can also drop this & use it as a rower. Only thing missing would be a dipping station (built into the wall) so can double this up as an ab trainer for leg raise.
Edited by: "Zero.Chill" 21st Jun
Zero.Chill21/06/2020 23:34

As the comment above. If you’re planning on building your home gym, wait t …As the comment above. If you’re planning on building your home gym, wait til they lift lockdown. It sounds counter-productive but you’ll save a lot of money as they’ve heavily inflated the price during the lockdown. We’re only 2 weeks away. Also, best to look for a multi station. Personally, I would look for something like this. Then purchase a lot of attachments like a lat pull down bar & close grip handle & rope. Chain the pulley together at the top, and create a lat pull down. Can also drop this & use it as a rower. Only thing missing would be a dipping station (built into the wall) so can double this up as an ab trainer for leg raise.

I would go for that but it isn't safe for any of the excercises I want to do - it has the dual pulley system which I really like... but If I can't stress bench/squat/rows without safety pins, then the accessory lifts are worthless.

I will need either a power rack or a half rack (mirafit.co.uk/mir…tml) as the pins can support me, but even then only a full power rack is safe enough for solo compounds (you can have pulleys on the bar so if you squat the rack can hold it up if it goes beneath parallel and stops weight going awry.
Curlyman8321/06/2020 20:49

If I were you, I’d wait for a couple of months. Sites like Gumtree and S …If I were you, I’d wait for a couple of months. Sites like Gumtree and Shpock will be absolutely awash with nearly new gym equipment when lockdown is over.

The used market isn't really feasible as I live in a fairly small city and transport would be a nightmare to sort.
trojanh21/06/2020 23:54

The used market isn't really feasible as I live in a fairly small city and …The used market isn't really feasible as I live in a fairly small city and transport would be a nightmare to sort.

Fair enough. I can’t wait for lockdown to end...there’ll be plenty of bargains to be had!
Curlyman8321/06/2020 23:54

Fair enough. I can’t wait for lockdown to end...there’ll be plenty of bar …Fair enough. I can’t wait for lockdown to end...there’ll be plenty of bargains to be had!

Do you think new equipment will go on sale? I wanted to get some work done around the garden etc in the mean time.
trojanh22/06/2020 00:01

Do you think new equipment will go on sale? I wanted to get some work done …Do you think new equipment will go on sale? I wanted to get some work done around the garden etc in the mean time.

I think the market will regularise. For instance I was on the cusp of buying a piece of equipment that was £40ish. Now I can’t find it for less that £80 and that version is mediocre. I’ve done without but hoping the price normalises once gyms are open again. A bit like, dare I say, lockdown loo roll.
For transportation look at transport cos like Shiply or www.anyvan.com. You post what you want collected and you get deluged with price offers. You pick on the basis of reviews, price etc. There’s definitely going to be good bargains to be had.
Curlyman8321/06/2020 20:49

If I were you, I’d wait for a couple of months. Sites like Gumtree and S …If I were you, I’d wait for a couple of months. Sites like Gumtree and Shpock will be absolutely awash with nearly new gym equipment when lockdown is over.

Gyms should be back in July. It will probably be a pre-book system for your training slot but they have thousands of pounds worth of equipment.
I’ll wait .. sale time when gyms open back up
Post a comment
@
    Text