Home House Insurance question:- Building and Contents cover

Found 7th Feb 2016
Home House Insurance question:- If you have Building and Contents cover (not accidental cover). Are you still covered if you accidently leave hair straighteners on which burn the carpet and then causes considerable damage to the rest of the house.
Community Updates
AskInsurance
14 Comments
Not at all. It would be a personal accident caused by yourself. Exactly the reason why you should also have accidental cover. Never know what could happen.
Fire damage?
Check with your insurers , but would think they would want to know how the fire started . Why do folks ask on here when one phone call to their insurers would give the correct (and informed ) response
Edited by: "rogparki" 7th Feb 2016
If it caused a fire, then the fire damage would be covered. I doubt that you could claim for burn marks as that would be accidental damage.

Just a view.
Either check your policy to see if it's covered, or speak to your insurers. Every policy is different. Accidental damage is usually an add-on so that may not be covered
Hair Straighteners shouldn't self combust - maybe your claim should be with their manufacturer or distributer ? Remember the Hoverboard catching fire saga .
rogparki

Hair Straighteners shouldn't self combust - maybe your claim should be … Hair Straighteners shouldn't self combust - maybe your claim should be with their manufacturer or distributer ? Remember the Hoverboard catching fire saga .

Fro the OP, they didn't turn off the hair straighteners, which I assume didn't have some sort of thermal cut out and set fire to carpet and thus the house! Stupidity may not be covered.
Flynn Jack

Fro the OP, they didn't turn off the hair straighteners, which I assume … Fro the OP, they didn't turn off the hair straighteners, which I assume didn't have some sort of thermal cut out and set fire to carpet and thus the house! Stupidity may not be covered.

One would think they should have a thermostat/thermal cutout . Would presume if they were sold by -say -Boots or Argos they should be safe /idiot proof - just saying .
Don't scrimp on your home insurance as it always comes back to haunt you. Make sure you get 24/7 call out for window breakages as well. If you smash a window you need someone to board it/secure it straight away as you are liable if anyone injures themselves on it. There are a lot of doggy insurance policies that fob you off with a 3+ day wait.
Take your time, read your policies and make sure you understand what is covered. Kester I agree and disagree with completely at the same time, Dont scrimp on your home insurance is only as good as reading the insurance policy. I have building and contents with high excess and it cost me £107 for the year (£80 due back from Quidco THANKS HUKD). Im with a company called policy expert which are incredibly cheap now after reading and studying the policy Im happy with how they cover and their reviews....I am covered through fire malicious or accidential providing 2 working smoke alarms are fitted in my property, I am covered against break ins and burglary providing I have the 5 lever locks I have declared and my windows are all lockable.

Insurance companies are an incredible con and how some are allowed to get away with it are awful..first direct wanted £488 for the same policy. So where Kester says dont scrimp I personally think its much better to not SCRIMP on actually reading your policy even calling them up and talking to them rather than just hammering your notes out the door.

As for window cover...yes its a great one and a locksmith is great (If I lose my keys I pay £50 and a locksmith comes and lets me in and changes my locks) etc. theres soo many little perks like this that you need to READ and READ WELL.
Jonwilkie

Take your time, read your policies and make sure you understand what is … Take your time, read your policies and make sure you understand what is covered. Kester I agree and disagree with completely at the same time, Dont scrimp on your home insurance is only as good as reading the insurance policy. I have building and contents with high excess and it cost me £107 for the year (£80 due back from Quidco THANKS HUKD). Im with a company called policy expert which are incredibly cheap now after reading and studying the policy Im happy with how they cover and their reviews....I am covered through fire malicious or accidential providing 2 working smoke alarms are fitted in my property, I am covered against break ins and burglary providing I have the 5 lever locks I have declared and my windows are all lockable.Insurance companies are an incredible con and how some are allowed to get away with it are awful..first direct wanted £488 for the same policy. So where Kester says dont scrimp I personally think its much better to not SCRIMP on actually reading your policy even calling them up and talking to them rather than just hammering your notes out the door.As for window cover...yes its a great one and a locksmith is great (If I lose my keys I pay £50 and a locksmith comes and lets me in and changes my locks) etc. theres soo many little perks like this that you need to READ and READ WELL.

I have to agree with you. Some quotes are just crazy expensive so like any insurance you need to shop around. Some policies are very cheeky as well. I had a look at bike insurance on one and it worked out I would get £150 back after claiming on a £450 bike which was crap. Also a lot of people go for very low contents insurance and find they have under insured.

If you have Building and Contents cover (not accidental cover). Are you … If you have Building and Contents cover (not accidental cover). Are you still covered if you accidently leave hair straighteners on

No.... you've answered your own question
So if people leave the chip pan on, then set fire to the house as often happens, if they didn`t have accidental cover they are not insured?
Not as clear cut as people are saying imho.
snoopy18

So if people leave the chip pan on, then set fire to the house as often … So if people leave the chip pan on, then set fire to the house as often happens, if they didn`t have accidental cover they are not insured? Not as clear cut as people are saying imho.

You have a point. Might come down to negligence (i.e non attendance of the chip pan). Putting hair straighteners on a carpet when still on is clearly negligence. Likewise, if I am drilling into a wall and burst a water pipe, can I claim for the subsequent flood damage without accidental damage. Pretty sure I cant.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions