Home insurance

Found 15th Feb
Hello all,

I am currently looking at home insurance and was looking to see if anyone knows of any good deals currently available or anything I should know or look out for?

Detached 4 bed house

Thank you
Community Updates
AskFinance & Utilities
12 Comments
Yes don't over insure. Guy over the road pays £380.. We paid £85. God knows what insurance cover he has.
Edited by: "wayners" 15th Feb
Do the comparison sites and then go straight to the provider (using their own website).

Check some insurers that are not available on comparison sites as well such as AXA.
More importantly don't UNDER insure - financial-ombudsman.org.uk/pub…tml

Over Insure worst case = loss of few hundred £
Under insure worst case = potentially thousands of £

To get a general idea on rebuild costs for your property check abi.bcis.co.uk/
For contents its really difficult as most people will under estimate
gcmarcal29 m ago

Do the comparison sites and then go straight to the provider (using their …Do the comparison sites and then go straight to the provider (using their own website).Check some insurers that are not available on comparison sites as well such as AXA.

Do the comparison sites ,then check for cashback from TCB/Quidco - over £50 widely available . Do your sums (Premium - Cashback ) then clear cookies .

Then go to the company's website VIA Cashback site and purchase , your cashback will track within 24 hrs and will be payable in about 3 months .
Edited by: "rogparki" 15th Feb
wayners5 h, 50 m ago

Yes don't over insure. Guy over the road pays £380.. We paid £85. God k …Yes don't over insure. Guy over the road pays £380.. We paid £85. God knows what insurance cover he has.

If there is one thing you should over insure on, it’s surely on the largest expense of your life?
Original Poster
Thank you so much for all the great advice!
Original Poster
What’s the best way to deal with excess?
There was a write up recently about excesses on insurance being very high for a situation/damage say £150.00 when it it would only cost £100 if you sorted out the situation/damage your self. Daily mail I think?
wayners17 h, 42 m ago

Yes don't over insure. Guy over the road pays £380.. We paid £85. God k …Yes don't over insure. Guy over the road pays £380.. We paid £85. God knows what insurance cover he has.

I wouldn't cheap out on home insurance personally. Would go with the provider with best customer service, how well known they are and payout percentages. But out of interest who are you with?
Find one that will cover your boiler, this will save you getting boiler cover separately
wayners18 h, 28 m ago

If anything do over insure. In a new for old policy, items are only getting more expensive.

A friend’s house was flooded. She was border line under insured potentially. Insurer made them jump through lots of hoops including itemising all contents down to teaspoons, etc. To get a total household inventory to apply a value to.

Buildings insurance is different to contents. Just make sure you declare honestly anything that may invalidate.
If you turn a house upside down. Anything that moves is contents, the rest is buildings. We have no single item over £500. No outbuildings covered. No freezer or garage contents. Nothing other than standard house and contents.. I think it's a million pounds buildings cover. Cost me £85 which is cheap but like my car insurance its always been the same price give or take. Car has got cheaper in fact as my first car cost £250 ish in 1990 to insurer but our mk4 mondeo is £248. Shop around people... Oh outlaws flooded in 2007 and discovered they had no contents cover. They did OK though as they got lucky with £1000 charity payout to buy kitchen white goods. The only thing they lost out on was sofa. Laminate flooring was covered with buildings. They got lucky.. Cover was messed up when the moved house 4 years earlier
Edited by: "wayners" 16th Feb
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants