Home insurance - £500 excess water damage - Seems a bit high

Posted 29th Dec 2019Edited by:"jasonwood999"
I've got homes and contents insurance with Policy Expert and we've had a leak in the kitchen thats gone under the laminate flooring.

Before, I investigated I contacted my insurer to avoid any comeback on claiming.

I learnt two disappointing things - I'm sure many would say I should know this but I didn't - that the actually process of finding and fixing the leak is not covered on the Insurance itself - that is something I would have to pay for regardless - someone might need to explain why that is different to car insurance - but thats another thing.

I then learnt that I have a £500 excess on my policy - which defeats the point of making a claim to replace the laminate flooring - its been a couple of years, but I paid just under £2000 to do the whole downstairs throughout - I can't imagine the cost of just doing the kitchen would be much more than £500 or am I underestimating things?

Is £500 high or is that a common figure?
Community Updates
Misc

Groups

19 Comments
My water excess is £250 with John Lewis insurance. It’s quite an expensive policy though so maybe the excesses are lower
Your policy does sound a little bit odd, I had at home and contents insurance with Halifax and a few years ago we had an issue in the bathroom which meant that we had a leak of water damage that went downstairs. We just contacted Halifax and we only had an excess of £100 which included finding the fault, fixing faults and then rectifying all the damage. Personally if your excess is £500 then I wouldn’t go through the insurance policy. If you know what laminate flooring you have then go and buy it, get a local builder in and sort out the problem. Then I would look at getting a different insurance policy and read the small print.
It seems to be on the steep side.

I would rip up the entire kitchen laminate and lay tiled flooring IMO. This is the very reason I hate laminate in kitchens or bathrooms. If you had tiled flooring you'd be safe. Now you will have to spend more.

Also 2k to lay laminate? wowsers. I have been laying it for friends and family for free, sometimes an entire ground floor for just the cost of the materials. Its not actually that difficult to do if you have the tools.
Water escape excess is different and much higher than the normal headline excess.

If your is classified as water escape, I afraid nothing much you can do here.
J4GG429/12/2019 11:50

It seems to be on the steep side.I would rip up the entire kitchen …It seems to be on the steep side.I would rip up the entire kitchen laminate and lay tiled flooring IMO. This is the very reason I hate laminate in kitchens or bathrooms. If you had tiled flooring you'd be safe. Now you will have to spend more.Also 2k to lay laminate? wowsers. I have been laying it for friends and family for free, sometimes an entire ground floor for just the cost of the materials. Its not actually that difficult to do if you have the tools.

Well, 2k included materials but I wouldn't know where to start so I was ok with that.

It seems to be on the steep side.I would rip up the entire kitchen …It seems to be on the steep side.I would rip up the entire kitchen laminate and lay tiled flooring IMO. This is the very reason I hate laminate in kitchens or bathrooms. If you had tiled flooring you'd be safe. Now you will have to spend more.Also 2k to lay laminate? wowsers. I have been laying it for friends and family for free, sometimes an entire ground floor for just the cost of the materials. Its not actually that difficult to do if you have the tools.

I've been thinking of putting in titled flooring since this has happened. But at the time - it all looked so nice and matching...but now not so sure :/
ndyanem29/12/2019 09:48

Your policy does sound a little bit odd, I had at home and contents …Your policy does sound a little bit odd, I had at home and contents insurance with Halifax and a few years ago we had an issue in the bathroom which meant that we had a leak of water damage that went downstairs. We just contacted Halifax and we only had an excess of £100 which included finding the fault, fixing faults and then rectifying all the damage. Personally if your excess is £500 then I wouldn’t go through the insurance policy. If you know what laminate flooring you have then go and buy it, get a local builder in and sort out the problem. Then I would look at getting a different insurance policy and read the small print.

Exactly what I'm thinking and I definitely won't be renewing with them going forward.
Palwan29/12/2019 12:25

Water escape excess is different and much higher than the normal headline …Water escape excess is different and much higher than the normal headline excess.If your is classified as water escape, I afraid nothing much you can do here.

Sorry could you clarify the difference if you don't mind.

Tiles are hard and cold in my opinion, lvt like karndean is preferable for me, it’s glued down and waterproof.
airfix29/12/2019 14:44

Tiles are hard and cold in my opinion, lvt like karndean is preferable for …Tiles are hard and cold in my opinion, lvt like karndean is preferable for me, it’s glued down and waterproof.

Doesn't bother me as i wear slippers around the house in the winter. You can lay underfloor heating if that was a real problem though. Never heard of karndean.
J4GG429/12/2019 14:47

Doesn't bother me as i wear slippers around the house in the winter. You …Doesn't bother me as i wear slippers around the house in the winter. You can lay underfloor heating if that was a real problem though. Never heard of karndean.

I laid karndean throughout entire ground floor of our new build ten years ago, still like new, it’s a warm material being vinyl, a good conductor for the ufh too.

39530753-Or2RY.jpg
airfix29/12/2019 14:53

I laid karndean throughout entire ground floor of our new build ten years …I laid karndean throughout entire ground floor of our new build ten years ago, still like new, it’s a warm material being vinyl, a good conductor for the ufh too. [Image]

Looks more like hardwood than laminate does to be fair. Nice. Will look into it.
Edited by: "J4GG4" 29th Dec 2019

I laid karndean throughout entire ground floor of our new build ten years …I laid karndean throughout entire ground floor of our new build ten years ago, still like new, it’s a warm material being vinyl, a good conductor for the ufh too. [Image]

Ours looks very much like yours - it would be a bit odd having titles in the kitchen now I guess, but I'm not sure if we can find the same type of flooring anyway even if we're able to fix the problem.
I had a friend who had his insurance increase by 50%+ after the severe flooding in around 2000. They told him it was because he lives in a flood plain. He lives on a houseboat on the river. He changed insurers.
The problem is that now you have contacted them, they might still increase your premium regardless of whether you claim.

What a beautiful cat you have.
JimboParrot30/12/2019 13:43

What a beautiful cat you have.

Thanks, he’s called George, he just turned up one day and moved in
Yes £500 is high. Policy expert won't be the insurer, more of a broker. Check who you're insured with and I'd move elsewhere once your damage has been resolved.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions