Unfortunately, this discussion is no longer valid
Expired

Home insurance extras

Posted 25th Feb
Home emergency cover, things covered by this like pipes/wires etc, are they not covered by normal buildings cover on a less urgent basis?

With accident damage cover, we don’t do any diy work so is there that odd scenario where this might prove vital? (I suppose this includes things like kitchen appliance fires heaven forbid?)

Boiler is quite ancient but we have a family friend look after it every so often.
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

22 Comments
If you're unlikely to fall through the loft or bang a nail into a hidden water pipe then you might not want it
Don’t take insurance without the accidental damage cover! You’d be amazed what isn’t covered if you don’t have it. For a few £ more it’s madness not to take it
Accidental damage cover is a waste of money for most unless you're super clumsy

Home emergency cover is generally included free anyway whenever I renew
chocci26/02/2020 06:53

Accidental damage cover is a waste of money for most unless you're super …Accidental damage cover is a waste of money for most unless you're super clumsyHome

Where is pays off is if you have an accident on your 3 piece suite or carpet & for £10ish a year more it is a bargain.
Taking the accident cover is one thing. Making a claim is quite another and Im not talking about whether or not they will pay out. Make a claim and watch your premiums rise dramatically. Its a fine balance to ensure you have the right insurance for a sensible price.
ccnp26/02/2020 07:14

Taking the accident cover is one thing. Making a claim is quite another …Taking the accident cover is one thing. Making a claim is quite another and Im not talking about whether or not they will pay out. Make a claim and watch your premiums rise dramatically. Its a fine balance to ensure you have the right insurance for a sensible price.

Your insurance will mostly rise if you make a claim. But what is the point of insurance if you are not going to claim if something goes wrong? That is what it is for.
Willy_Wonka26/02/2020 07:03

Where is pays off is if you have an accident on your 3 piece suite or …Where is pays off is if you have an accident on your 3 piece suite or carpet & for £10ish a year more it is a bargain.

It was 40% more for accidental damage cover with a minimum £100 excess on my insurance last month. Over the years, that soon mounts up. Guess it depends how accident prone people are and how many high value goods they have that could potentially get damaged by accident.
My insurance in the end was £125 (40k contents, unlimited buildings, home emergency cover, legal protection) with potential of £35 topcashback with esure
Edited by: "chocci" 26th Feb
Rune_2H26/02/2020 08:48

Comment deleted

My building insurance part was £70 for my property (worth £750k)

Comment deleted

Try Sheila's wheels for a quote via quidco or topcashback

Comment deleted

No carpets, beds, sofas, clothes, bed linen, etc ?
Just taken out 2 policies after a few days of research and getting quotes. I added accidental cover for both buildings and contents as it was only £12 odd in total for both over the year. £218 for the year. Buildings,contents, accidental cover for both, Home emergency cover and legal expenses cover. Was expecting accidental damage addon to be much higher. My main policy, i went with Halifax through confused.com. Halifax also cover the roof (home emergency cover).Most do not cover the roof in that added cover and they also cover solar panels however like most the Home emergency cover is out sourced and a separate direct debit (Allianz).Also chance of £25.25 TCB and 6 months Now TV pass (rewards).
Just an fyi, a friend's hubby just caused a flood leaving the plug in & tap running in the sink - they were at work all day. Accidental damage has been a godsend as the damage is in the thousands
Rune_2H26/02/2020 22:22

Comment deleted

After seeing what they have been through, i won't scrimp when i come to renew. You just never know!
Rune_2H26/02/2020 22:32

Comment deleted

I haven't got home emergency cover for that reason, but my policy covers pipes including all pipes on the property that we're responsible for, water escape, locks etc. When we got our mortgage, the broker tried to sell insurance too so i just paid attention to the cover they recommended & got it cheaper elsewhere apparently the 5 star defaqto rating is important
Rune_2H26/02/2020 22:22

Comment deleted

Fire related cover is standard (regardless of whether caused by an accident) so additional cover is not required.
Littlemunckin26/02/2020 22:18

Just an fyi, a friend's hubby just caused a flood leaving the plug in & …Just an fyi, a friend's hubby just caused a flood leaving the plug in & tap running in the sink - they were at work all day. Accidental damage has been a godsend as the damage is in the thousands

Again, most policies would still pay out in this case under standard buildings cover
chocci27/02/2020 06:55

Again, most policies would still pay out in this case under standard …Again, most policies would still pay out in this case under standard buildings cover

She was told a lot will no longer pay out for leaving taps running. But surely they wouldn't pay out for that anyway without accidental damage cover, as thats what it is
Littlemunckin27/02/2020 07:56

She was told a lot will no longer pay out for leaving taps running. But …She was told a lot will no longer pay out for leaving taps running. But surely they wouldn't pay out for that anyway without accidental damage cover, as thats what it is

Its escape of water which is standard cover unless it specifically excludes taps running. Same for fire damage caused by an iron etc

Accidental damage is more for DIY negligence or paint spills

Odd how your friend managed to flood from a sink as that is what overflows are for
Edited by: "chocci" 27th Feb
chocci27/02/2020 08:40

Its escape of water which is standard cover unless it specifically …Its escape of water which is standard cover unless it specifically excludes taps running. Same for fire damage caused by an iron etcAccidental damage is more for DIY negligence or paint spillsOdd how your friend managed to flood from a sink as that is what overflows are for

Overflows don't make much difference over the course of 10 hours!

They were told it wouldn't have been covered without accidental damage cover anyway so just not worth the risk. Thats esure
Littlemunckin27/02/2020 10:45

Overflows don't make much difference over the course of 10 hours!They were …Overflows don't make much difference over the course of 10 hours!They were told it wouldn't have been covered without accidental damage cover anyway so just not worth the risk. Thats esure

blocked overflow then or both taps were left on full flow
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Discussions

Top Merchants