Expired

Home Insurance: Help and Advice RE: Mine Entry

Found 23rd Mar 2013
Hi,

I am due to complete my first house purchase next Thursday.

1. I have been given the funds by Nationwide for the mortgage
2. They have requested I make aware of a mine entry within 20m of the property to whoever I chose to insure the building with
3. When I do this, I either get point blank refused or they refer it to the underwriters

The coal board report states that they will pay for any damage caused by the mine, so a claim to the buildings insurance wouldn't be necessary. I have told them this, but some still refuse to insure.

The coal board state there is no known claims/reports of any damage to this house or surrounding houses.

I spoke to the previous owners and they didn't bother mentioning the mine to their insurers.

Currently I am awaiting decisions from the underwriters of some insurers.

Does anyone have advice, or care to share their experience on a similar subject?

Thanks,
Community Updates
AskInsurance
15 Comments
leave it well alone m8 what with all the floods u english have it will probs sink into it
Don't buy it.
looks like you have already bought the house so you cannot backout from the purchase. Whatever you do, do not ignore the mortgage provider.

Keep trying different insurance companies
Check out with the neighbours as to what they have done and who is their insurer.
Interesting dillema you got there.
Are these just verbal to your potential insurers regarding the coalboard accepting liability as you have put that you "have told them.
I would think legal documents stating that fact would help, but even then you could see possible future problem.... where something goes wrong with the property and a claim needs to be made. Your insurers will be saying it's to do with the mine and the coalboard saying that particular problem is not to do with the mine.
Hope you get it sorted ok.
just stick with the program, if you fail to mention it, make no mistake, the insurers will search when you claim and if you fail to disclose this fact they will not payout even if the claim is entirely unrelated
Find an insurance broker who will then do all the hard work for you.

They will have access to markets a consumer will not.
The information will already be on the insurance database now so if you claim it will pop up, looks like your solicitors should have checked this out in a little more detail because as you have found, this is going to cause issues.
insure it with your building society! they were happy to give you the mortgage after all.
it appears you ignored much of the advice and forewarning given to you by many people when you asked originally about buying it in the first place and you are already finding issues with insurance and you haven't moved in yet!!

I do wish you well, but some people really cant be helped!
Edited by: "TPGone" 24th Mar 2013
Have u asked the neighbours who they insure with?
'some still refuse to insure'

so, some do - whats the problem?
Personally I wouldn't complete the purchase as we would never feel 100% at ease in that house.

If you feel that you want to go ahead there may be an insurers out there but the premium will be very high and as mentioned before, you may have problems when you come to sell.
I'm assuming a mine entry so close by has a effect on the foundation of the houses nearby?

yes thats correct

EN1GMA

I'm assuming a mine entry so close by has a effect on the foundation of … I'm assuming a mine entry so close by has a effect on the foundation of the houses nearby?

Argoj

insure it with your building society! they were happy to give you the … insure it with your building society! they were happy to give you the mortgage after all.

Not straight forward , nationwide insurance is underwritten by UKI so its upto them if they insure such properties
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants