Groups

home insurance Ipad advice

we recently had a burst pipe and our ceiling came in .My I pad was under it and ended up water damaged, when I contacted my insurance they told me to take it to my nearest apple shop .
    which I did and I was told it couldn't be fixed but that they could replace it for £229 but It would be a refurbished I pad and would only have 3 month's warranty ,
    I'm not long home and my insurance company is closed my questions are will my Insurance company be likely to go for this ?( has anyone of you guys been in this situation before? ) would I have to accept this or do have another choice? I just don't think its right am I wrong? , I paid over £400 for it and I will also be paying my excess for the claim which will be on the whole thing, the repairs are being done by a contractor.
    something just doesn't sit right with me with me with this, maybe it's just me.
    kind regards and thanks in advance

18 Comments

I would suggest the Apple Store were trying to offer you the most financially advantageous solution if you were paying yourself.

If your home cover is New for Old then you should get a new replacement.

I can't immediately see any relevance of the excess. More relevant: is the ipad cover "new for old"?

Original Poster

thanks Stu but I explained what it was for and they gave me a report to send to my insurance company, stating that it wasn't fixable but that they would replace it for £229 , now I'm thinking that is what my insurance company will give me too replace it if you know what I mean . not been in this situation before just unsure ,

Original Poster

AndyRoyd thanks for your reply my insurance is new for old.

You can submit the report to the insurer and advise them the replacement is not new, but refurbished. Did your ruined one have any warranty left on it?

Original Poster

no Stu was just out of warranty

Check what your insurance cover is, new for old or like for like.
    The other options insurance can usually offer is , if you want cash instead then they can pay you but with a % off. So if it would cost them £400 to replace but you asked for cash they might pay £300 maybe £350.

You'll need to press home the New for Old clause then I think. You couldn't argue a refurb with 3 months wty is lesser than your ruined one.

Original Poster

I also leave my old I pad with them and they give me the other one and I pay the 229.

Original Poster

Stu

You'll need to press home the New for Old clause then I think. You … You'll need to press home the New for Old clause then I think. You couldn't argue a refurb with 3 months wty is lesser than your ruined one.

Thanks stu will do that

Original Poster

Do you guys think this is acceptable then ? This is what I'm asking too as I'm unsure.

If you have New for Old then that is what you should be asking for. The only relevant part of the Apple document is the inability to repair the iPad.

Original Poster

Stu

If you have New for Old then that is what you should be asking for. The … If you have New for Old then that is what you should be asking for. The only relevant part of the Apple document is the inability to repair the iPad.

Thanks so much for your advice Stu much appreciated

Good luck.

Original Poster

Stu

Good luck.

thank you

cheermom1

Do you guys think this is acceptable then ? This is what I'm asking too … Do you guys think this is acceptable then ? This is what I'm asking too as I'm unsure.

Your insurance is a contract. If the ipad definitely has accidentlal / incidental cover of new for old and there are no other terms that may limit that phrase, you should be contractually entitled to a new item as a replacement. The policy should also state who will retain / inherit ownership of the damaged item in the event of a total loss claim - this has the potential to become tricky if you have personal info on the damaged device that you wish to retrieve / remove but are unable to do so personally.

AndyRoyd

this has the potential to become tricky if you have personal info on the … this has the potential to become tricky if you have personal info on the damaged device that you wish to retrieve / remove but are unable to do so personally.

That is a good point.

Have you tried putting the iPad in the airing cupboard for a few days? I have a friend who's wife dropped her iPhone down the toilet, it lives to fight another day.

Original Poster

Stu

That is a good point.Have you tried putting the iPad in the airing … That is a good point.Have you tried putting the iPad in the airing cupboard for a few days? I have a friend who's wife dropped her iPhone down the toilet, it lives to fight another day.

have tried but will keep it there for a while yet just incase. thanks again
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Underrated/unappreciated movies.2838
      2. love affairs2060
      3. Xbox One - Buying from Other Regions *WITH* A VPN (Virtual Private Network)61481
      4. 75% off Sky TV for existing customers. Only works when you call the specifi…17856381

See more discussions