Home insurance no claims discount....joint policy holder

Found 23rd Jun
Our directline home insurance has been in my husbands name for the past 8/9 years (with me as joint policy holder).

The quote for this year is up by about £100.......not sure why as we have not claimed in last 5 years......last claim was 15 years ago.

I switched names so the policy is in my name but my husband is the joint policy holder and the cost is close enough to previous years renewal.

Am i able to do this.....even though the no claims is built up in husbands name?

I heard somewhere home insurance allows you to do this unlike car insurance......but want to check if thats still the case.

Thanks
Community Updates
Ask
5 Comments
You should get a quote with other companies via moneysupermarket, confused.com etc.
There is really no reason to stick with same insurance company when there is so much competition
Yes compare EVERY year without fail . Try 3 or 4 comparison sites as a couple are owned by the big insurance companies . Also check on the cashback sites , there are very chunky cashbacks available most of the time (obviously only to new customers).

So check a few comparison sites , check cashback sites , do the maths -( Cost - Cashback ) then clear cookies and buy through the cashback site .

Think about your excess - You don't really want to claim for a £300 tele as having a claim makes your insurance more expensive for years to come and makes it more difficult to use comparison sites in the future . Set your excess at say £500 to protect against disasters and self insure for the smaller mishaps . Just change your excess on the comparison site and see how much it can change the premium .

Its a process you MUST do every year to avoid getting ripped off .
We have been with directline for home and car insurance for years and found through price comparison sites that the difference has been about 20-30 pounds cheaper.....but if we switch to another provider we then lose 2nd product discount .....so when we come to car jnsurance we lose 30 saving so not much better or worse off and dont have hassl of sending no clajms discount proof, etc.
But we do usuallg call to query increase in renewal and are sometimes offered a discount.
Edited by: "ran123ran" 23rd Jun
ran123ran1 h, 17 m ago

We have been with directline for home and car insurance for years and …We have been with directline for home and car insurance for years and found through price comparison sites that the difference has been about 20-30 pounds cheaper.....but if we switch to another provider we then lose 2nd product discount .....so when we come to car jnsurance we lose 30 saving so not much better or worse off and dont have hassl of sending no clajms discount proof, etc.But we do usuallg call to query increase in renewal and are sometimes offered a discount.

Just because they tell you they are giving a discount on the second product doesn’t mean it’s the cheapest in the market. On your original question yes you can change your names that perfectly ok as you have had so many years no claims.
Edited by: "eslick" 23rd Jun
If you have been using annual services of any company for 8/9 years it would be prudent to contact said company directly to politley but firmly express your disappointment at any disproportionate annual increase(s). If company fails to show any flexibility: walk. Additionally, NCD proof is often effected company-to-company, not company-customer-company.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants