Home insurance - Who should I buy from?

Found 23rd Mar
We applied for a mortgage as first time buyers and the broker we used explained how we needed home insurance in place, this is new to me and not sure which company to use and who is reliable for payouts. We felt like our broker is getting commission from Aviva as he was pushing hard to sell us the Aviva one, home and contents cover. He was adamant we needed the insurance right now so I told him we wanted to look round as we felt this was being forced on us and we didn’t have a choice. We don’t exchange contracts for 2-3 months with the seller. If Aviva is the best we will go back and get it but just wanted some opinions from others as he said other companies hardly pay up. Any advice appreciated, thanks.
Community Updates
Ask
16 Comments
An independent advisor should be independent so you should be led astray. You'll need 3 types of insurance when buying a home, Life insurance policy, Buildings and contents insurance. Normally they would go through this with you but if you're not happy with this one you can try another advisor.
kester765 m ago

An independent advisor should be independent so you should be led astray. …An independent advisor should be independent so you should be led astray. You'll need 3 types of insurance when buying a home, Life insurance policy, Buildings and contents insurance. Normally they would go through this with you but if you're not happy with this one you can try another advisor.

you generally only need buildings insurance

everything else is lender dependent
Try the Quidco compare website for Buildings and Contents Insurance. quidco.com/hom…ce/ You should be able to get Buildings & Contents for well less than £100 at the moment - just done both mine and the in-laws and the quotes are currently the cheapest they have been for several years. Normally can't buy more than a month in advance so may have to wait - but that won't be a problem.

Agree with Kester than you will also need Life Insurance - again shop around as prices will vary greatly.

Nothing wrong with Aviva but you are likely to get cheaper deals from equally as good companies.

I would never use/trust an Mortgage/Insurance Broker - ultimately they're making their income from you for something you can easily arrange for yourself!
Well done for resisting the hard sale! It is always better to shop around yourself first. We have been with ESURE for the last three years, having changed home insurance pretty regularly before that. We had a burglary in 2016 and a burst pipe destroying most of the inside of our 3 bedroom semi in 2017. ESURE were very quick to respond on both occasions, their customer service is very friendly and helpful, and their claims handlers are absolute stars. Their premiums have been competitive, even now with our two claims on the policy. When you compare policies, check ALL the details. Excesses, limitations, exclusions, etc. This website may be helpful: moneyadviceservice.org.uk/en/…eal
you will need buildings insurance from the date of exchange, as from that date, you are obligated to buy the property, even if it gets burnt down between exchange and completion, so you are handed a pile of rubble

you are not required to buy contents insurance, but you may wish to do so. you do not have to buy buildings insurance and contents insurance from the same insurer. an insurer who is cheap for buildings insurance, may not be the cheapest for contents insurance.

big insurers are more reliable at paying out in general so any of the big players will be fine. the broker is telling fibs when he states that other insurers do not pay out and only aviva does! i have had buildings and contents insurance with many insurers and they have all been very good when it came to claims.

i use comparison websites to get quotes and then choose one of the cheaper ones after reading reviews on the insurer.

mortgage brokers do get commission from insurers, which is why they push it. this also includes life insurance, which is also needed for a mortgage, although i recollect someone said that their mortgage did not require that they have life insurance. whenever i have taken out a mortgage, i have always had to have life insurance in place to cover the payment of the mortgage.
Never had to claim so can't help there. They all have to abide by regulations so I would expect the payout by big firms will be similar. If your broker is making this claim (about Aviva) ask him for proof! Also he must disclose if he is making any gain from the Aviva deal. Once again ask him.

Looking at my quidco for the last 4 years I have used Tesco Bank twice, Endsleigh and Legal and General.

Looking back (2014) I paid £90.82 with legal and general and got £60 cashback. This year Tesco Bank £110.26 with £40 cashback.
mutley11 m ago

you will need buildings insurance from the date of exchange, as from that …you will need buildings insurance from the date of exchange, as from that date, you are obligated to buy the property, even if it gets burnt down between exchange and completion, so you are handed a pile of rubble you are not required to buy contents insurance, but you may wish to do so. you do not have to buy buildings insurance and contents insurance from the same insurer. an insurer who is cheap for buildings insurance, may not be the cheapest for contents insurance.big insurers are more reliable at paying out in general so any of the big players will be fine. the broker is telling fibs when he states that other insurers do not pay out and only aviva does! i have had buildings and contents insurance with many insurers and they have all been very good when it came to claims.i use comparison websites to get quotes and then choose one of the cheaper ones after reading reviews on the insurer.mortgage brokers do get commission from insurers, which is why they push it. this also includes life insurance, which is also needed for a mortgage, although i recollect someone said that their mortgage did not require that they have life insurance. whenever i have taken out a mortgage, i have always had to have life insurance in place to cover the payment of the mortgage.

i'm with Halifax and life insurance is not mandatory for the mortgage
One other thing to bear in mind: Your mortgage lender may also require that you have critical illness cover too. If it's a joint mortgage that could add another £100 pcm onto your costs. Definitely check it out ... and the best of luck with your new home!
the brokers getting commision from whoever you went with for your morgage inspite of what he said,and prob gets most from aviva for insurance from what he's said
Edited by: "jamstaruk1972" 23rd Mar
Van19731 h, 13 m ago

Try the Quidco compare website for Buildings and Contents Insurance. …Try the Quidco compare website for Buildings and Contents Insurance. https://www.quidco.com/home-insurance/ You should be able to get Buildings & Contents for well less than £100 at the moment - just done both mine and the in-laws and the quotes are currently the cheapest they have been for several years. Normally can't buy more than a month in advance so may have to wait - but that won't be a problem.Agree with Kester than you will also need Life Insurance - again shop around as prices will vary greatly.Nothing wrong with Aviva but you are likely to get cheaper deals from equally as good companies.I would never use/trust an Mortgage/Insurance Broker - ultimately they're making their income from you for something you can easily arrange for yourself!

Thanks., i'll take a look at Quidco.
Resali1 h, 12 m ago

Well done for resisting the hard sale! It is always better to shop around …Well done for resisting the hard sale! It is always better to shop around yourself first. We have been with ESURE for the last three years, having changed home insurance pretty regularly before that. We had a burglary in 2016 and a burst pipe destroying most of the inside of our 3 bedroom semi in 2017. ESURE were very quick to respond on both occasions, their customer service is very friendly and helpful, and their claims handlers are absolute stars. Their premiums have been competitive, even now with our two claims on the policy. When you compare policies, check ALL the details. Excesses, limitations, exclusions, etc. This website may be helpful: https://www.moneyadviceservice.org.uk/en/articles/home-insurance-how-to-get-the-best-deal

Thanks for the website link, its really useful. Ill keep ESURE in mind when comparing.
mutley11 h, 13 m ago

you will need buildings insurance from the date of exchange, as from that …you will need buildings insurance from the date of exchange, as from that date, you are obligated to buy the property, even if it gets burnt down between exchange and completion, so you are handed a pile of rubble you are not required to buy contents insurance, but you may wish to do so. you do not have to buy buildings insurance and contents insurance from the same insurer. an insurer who is cheap for buildings insurance, may not be the cheapest for contents insurance.big insurers are more reliable at paying out in general so any of the big players will be fine. the broker is telling fibs when he states that other insurers do not pay out and only aviva does! i have had buildings and contents insurance with many insurers and they have all been very good when it came to claims.i use comparison websites to get quotes and then choose one of the cheaper ones after reading reviews on the insurer.mortgage brokers do get commission from insurers, which is why they push it. this also includes life insurance, which is also needed for a mortgage, although i recollect someone said that their mortgage did not require that they have life insurance. whenever i have taken out a mortgage, i have always had to have life insurance in place to cover the payment of the mortgage.

Thanks for the detailed reply
adamspencer951 h, 12 m ago

i'm with Halifax and life insurance is not mandatory for the mortgage

Im with Halifax myself so ill keep this in mind.
LV are a good insurer and from experience are good to deal with if you need to claim. Premiums are usually competitive.
Re. Life Insurance. If you have an Occupational Pension, this often has a life insurance (Death in Service Benefit) element, which might cover your mortgage.
Also, be careful not to over or under insure the re-build costs. Under and the policy won't pay out enough, Over and you are wasting money on a premium you don't need. There are online calculators to work this out.
airbus3306 m ago

LV are a good insurer and from experience are good to deal with if you …LV are a good insurer and from experience are good to deal with if you need to claim. Premiums are usually competitive.Re. Life Insurance. If you have an Occupational Pension, this often has a life insurance (Death in Service Benefit) element, which might cover your mortgage.Also, be careful not to over or under insure the re-build costs. Under and the policy won't pay out enough, Over and you are wasting money on a premium you don't need. There are online calculators to work this out.

The property survey will also quote the surveyor’s recommended rebuild cost for insurance.
mutley17 h, 53 m ago

The property survey will also quote the surveyor’s recommended rebuild c …The property survey will also quote the surveyor’s recommended rebuild cost for insurance.

See another thread on here about being under insured. THIS REBUILD COST REALLY MATTERS to you.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants