Home made steak pie

Found 29th Dec 2017
Making a steak pie for new year. Looking for suggestions to get a good gravy.
Community Updates
Ask
8 Comments
Use the juices from the meat and add both some horseradish sauce (for bite) and some white wine (for sweetness). Gravy needs to be thick for a pie so thicken with cornflower.
Ok, going to assume a few things......
Brown the meat in a pan, remove, chop and sweat some onions and re add the meat.
Add some tomato paste, sugar and couple of tablespoons of plain flour and stir together

Now add 500ml bottle of ale and some thyme sprigs.
Transfer to oven (or slow cooker) until meat is tender and transfer to pie dish and cover with pastry and cook
u6645416 m ago

Ok, going to assume a few things......Brown the meat in a pan, remove, …Ok, going to assume a few things......Brown the meat in a pan, remove, chop and sweat some onions and re add the meat.Add some tomato paste, sugar and couple of tablespoons of plain flour and stir togetherNow add 500ml bottle of ale and some thyme sprigs.Transfer to oven (or slow cooker) until meat is tender and transfer to pie dish and cover with pastry and cook

Sounds like s plan to me. Will be cooking in a slow cooker. Will have to do two batches of meat. Was just going to buy beef joints and dice them up. Which ale would you suggest Guinness?
Bisto.
Next question please
bo84gle7 h, 8 m ago

Sounds like s plan to me. Will be cooking in a slow cooker. Will have to …Sounds like s plan to me. Will be cooking in a slow cooker. Will have to do two batches of meat. Was just going to buy beef joints and dice them up. Which ale would you suggest Guinness?

Guinness is good for a very dark rich gravy. Otherwise Speckled Hen or something like that.
Add some brown sauce to the gravy (must be daddies! ) makes the gravy much richer and yummyer.
barriey49 m ago

Add some brown sauce to the gravy (must be daddies! ) makes the gravy …Add some brown sauce to the gravy (must be daddies! ) makes the gravy much richer and yummyer.

Noted thanks
u66454119 h, 10 m ago

Ok, going to assume a few things......Brown the meat in a pan, remove, …Ok, going to assume a few things......Brown the meat in a pan, remove, chop and sweat some onions and re add the meat.Add some tomato paste, sugar and couple of tablespoons of plain flour and stir togetherNow add 500ml bottle of ale and some thyme sprigs.Transfer to oven (or slow cooker) until meat is tender and transfer to pie dish and cover with pastry and cook

Yes this ^

Bisto is full of rubbish, at least doing it properly you will know what's gone into it and it will taste phenomenal.

I use this recipe theguardian.com/lif…pie although I don't read the Guardian, Felicity Cloake has some superb recipes and because she explains the tastes in the pre-amble you can work out whether you will like the end result. I don't use a sweet dark ale, I use Old Spekled Hen and adjust the sugar slightly.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants