home networking ideas

Found 7th Nov 2017
hi guys

im getting my house renovated and want to get the house abit future proof and installing some Ethernet ports, cctv and other such gubbins.

anyone got any ideas of things I should atleast consider. ive got a few days to think about it before I get back to him.

im going to get Ethernet ports in the house so I have the option of wired connection. he can wire up cctv so that's another one. he mentioned something about surround sound and connections for amps,which to be fair, im not a audiophile so didn't understand.

issue is the house is currently down to the floor boardsso ideal time to get this done. once its skimmed then it will be too late.

also, anyone know a cheap yet genuine sellers for Cat6 Ethernet cables please?

thanks
Community Updates
Ask
15 Comments
Don't bother with cat 6 you'll never get close to using the potential, cat 5e is more then enough and is considerably cheaper.
joedastudd23 m ago

Don't bother with cat 6 you'll never get close to using the potential, cat …Don't bother with cat 6 you'll never get close to using the potential, cat 5e is more then enough and is considerably cheaper.

the engineer said cat6 just to future proof it really, which I don't mind. need about 100m of cat 6 cabling. the other cabling he will sort.
we're just sorting the first fix at the moment, so looking for ideas from people who have their homes networked. getting the switch boxes etc is for much later, when we have moved in.
EN1GMA32 m ago

the engineer said cat6 just to future proof it really, which I don't mind. …the engineer said cat6 just to future proof it really, which I don't mind. need about 100m of cat 6 cabling. the other cabling he will sort. we're just sorting the first fix at the moment, so looking for ideas from people who have their homes networked. getting the switch boxes etc is for much later, when we have moved in.

cat6 for server rooms only and not really needed in a typical installation, cat6 is very inflexible and a lot harder to install without 'kinking' the cable and wont be cat6 anyway unless tested and certified after installation (to prove its not been kinked and any tight bends).
I part hard wired my house (cat 5 at the time) about 12 years ago - Ethernet ports into the living room and bedrooms. Did not do it as part of house refurb so ran cables in the loft and outside of the house down walls in conduit. Has served me well but is now a bit limited - I originally only put one cable into the living room and have increased that to two but could do with at least a couple more - TV, surround sound system, Virgin box, NOW TV and Android box all take a network connection - work OK on Wifi.

So if I was doing what you are going to do I would go over the top - future proof as you say. I'd recommend 3/4 points in living rooms. I would also wire some into the Kitchen - as I guess the next development will be smart kitchen appliances which you will be able to control remotely - e.g. start the washer/dishwasher/oven via a phone app. If you have a large house I would also run one point to a central location on each floor so that you can fit wifi repeaters/extenders.

You need am accessible central location in the house to install the switches etc - or even a data cabinet - inside a cupboard(?) from where you can run all your cabling. Also need power in there to drive the switch(es) and the CCTV NVR. I just use a 16 way switch Netgear GS116 - this will probably serve you now even if you install more cable points you probably won't need them just yet.

When I installed mine I researched and read that the network cables should not be run with mains cabling due to interference etc. This was not always possible to do but has never caused me a problem.

I'd just buy Cat6 cable from Screwfix - can probably get it cheaper but you will know it is good stuff --- screwfix.com/p/n…57t
electric sockets with usb charging ports sound like a great idea.
with everything going wireless more and more, will ethernet ports become a thing of the past sooner or later?
If you're looking to get IP cameras in the future, you're going to need 24awg or better pure copper CAT5e or CAT6 network cable. Excel are a decent brand and a 305m box will set you back about £60. I would probably run the same stuff for your wired network too.
thanks for the responses guys.
Van19731 h, 32 m ago

I part hard wired my house (cat 5 at the time) about 12 years ago - …I part hard wired my house (cat 5 at the time) about 12 years ago - Ethernet ports into the living room and bedrooms. Did not do it as part of house refurb so ran cables in the loft and outside of the house down walls in conduit. Has served me well but is now a bit limited - I originally only put one cable into the living room and have increased that to two but could do with at least a couple more - TV, surround sound system, Virgin box, NOW TV and Android box all take a network connection - work OK on Wifi.So if I was doing what you are going to do I would go over the top - future proof as you say. I'd recommend 3/4 points in living rooms. I would also wire some into the Kitchen - as I guess the next development will be smart kitchen appliances which you will be able to control remotely - e.g. start the washer/dishwasher/oven via a phone app. If you have a large house I would also run one point to a central location on each floor so that you can fit wifi repeaters/extenders.You need am accessible central location in the house to install the switches etc - or even a data cabinet - inside a cupboard(?) from where you can run all your cabling. Also need power in there to drive the switch(es) and the CCTV NVR. I just use a 16 way switch Netgear GS116 - this will probably serve you now even if you install more cable points you probably won't need them just yet.When I installed mine I researched and read that the network cables should not be run with mains cabling due to interference etc. This was not always possible to do but has never caused me a problem. I'd just buy Cat6 cable from Screwfix - can probably get it cheaper but you will know it is good stuff --- https://www.screwfix.com/p/nexans-cat-6-f-utp-lszh-ethernet-cable-100m-beige/9057t

some good points mate.

what kind of wiring/connection would I need for a surround sound? how about getting a projector set up? would it be better to get 1st fix for projector, even though I may not get one installed, you know, just in case for the future.
For my surround sound system I just meant an Ethernet cable - it is a smart system. The speakers just have standard speaker cables which are run under the carpet. If I was to install a house wide speaker system then I'd look at Bluetooth systems - so don't think you need cabling for that.

Agree re. projector if you think you will use one in future. You will need power and ethernet at the location of the projector and power at the location of the screen.

I'd also think about wiring a cable to the front door for a video bell.
Van19732 h, 27 m ago

I part hard wired my house (cat 5 at the time) about 12 years ago - …I part hard wired my house (cat 5 at the time) about 12 years ago - Ethernet ports into the living room and bedrooms. Did not do it as part of house refurb so ran cables in the loft and outside of the house down walls in conduit. Has served me well but is now a bit limited - I originally only put one cable into the living room and have increased that to two but could do with at least a couple more - TV, surround sound system, Virgin box, NOW TV and Android box all take a network connection - work OK on Wifi.So if I was doing what you are going to do I would go over the top - future proof as you say. I'd recommend 3/4 points in living rooms. I would also wire some into the Kitchen - as I guess the next development will be smart kitchen appliances which you will be able to control remotely - e.g. start the washer/dishwasher/oven via a phone app. If you have a large house I would also run one point to a central location on each floor so that you can fit wifi repeaters/extenders.You need am accessible central location in the house to install the switches etc - or even a data cabinet - inside a cupboard(?) from where you can run all your cabling. Also need power in there to drive the switch(es) and the CCTV NVR. I just use a 16 way switch Netgear GS116 - this will probably serve you now even if you install more cable points you probably won't need them just yet.When I installed mine I researched and read that the network cables should not be run with mains cabling due to interference etc. This was not always possible to do but has never caused me a problem. I'd just buy Cat6 cable from Screwfix - can probably get it cheaper but you will know it is good stuff --- https://www.screwfix.com/p/nexans-cat-6-f-utp-lszh-ethernet-cable-100m-beige/9057t

Van19732 h, 27 m ago

Why not just put a switch in your living room then??
howarth321 m ago

Why not just put a switch in your living room then??

When I wired the living room the need was for just one connection - now have five networked devices there - Virgin Tivo box has to be hard wired to control it remotely and the Android box has poor speed over wifi (a lot of them do).

Could install a switch as you say but the others work OK on wifi - but if I was doing it from scratch (as the OP is) then I would go OTT and install multiple cables. Prefer to do everything centrally - think it looks tidier - that could just be my OCD!
Van197353 m ago

For my surround sound system I just meant an Ethernet cable - it is a …For my surround sound system I just meant an Ethernet cable - it is a smart system. The speakers just have standard speaker cables which are run under the carpet. If I was to install a house wide speaker system then I'd look at Bluetooth systems - so don't think you need cabling for that.Agree re. projector if you think you will use one in future. You will need power and ethernet at the location of the projector and power at the location of the screen.I'd also think about wiring a cable to the front door for a video bell.

You've reminded me of something. I love my chromecast audios. Wondering if I could have a set up with wall speakers, but connected via CCA.

Not sure how the connections would work. I wouldn't like to leave the CCA on 24/7 so maybe a switch to control them.
Van197318 m ago

When I wired the living room the need was for just one connection - now …When I wired the living room the need was for just one connection - now have five networked devices there - Virgin Tivo box has to be hard wired to control it remotely and the Android box has poor speed over wifi (a lot of them do).Could install a switch as you say but the others work OK on wifi - but if I was doing it from scratch (as the OP is) then I would go OTT and install multiple cables. Prefer to do everything centrally - think it looks tidier - that could just be my OCD!

If I have say 1 ethernet port in a room, I could connect a 4 port switch for example yeah to give more connections? That would be hidden anyway. It's either that or have 4 ethernet ports, which if I move furniture around, may look odd.
Problem with hard wiring ethernet and aerial connections etc comes when you move the room around to accommodate a different layout.
Maybe you could double up on electrical sockets, use homeplugs for the data connections, maybe go for the ones with integrated homeplug tech.
Can get power sockets with Wi-Fi extenders now look pretty good
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants