Home office / WFH setup

Posted 24th Aug 2020
I’m being asked to WFH on a more permanent basis.. just wondering what people think re 2 smaller monitors gnome larger.

At work I have two 23 inch (if I remember correctly) widescreen monitors wondering if one 32 inch for example would suffice and saving me running two
Community Updates
Ask
10 Comments
I have the same setup at work (2 x 24" monitors) and would love to have this at home, just make life easier, so I would personally go for 2 x monitors as a better work area.
I imagine it more depends on what your work is and how useful it is having seperate screens in it
At close distances, I have found two smaller screens to be more useful and comfortable for my eyes than a really large one.
bozo00724/08/2020 19:59

At close distances, I have found two smaller screens to be more useful and …At close distances, I have found two smaller screens to be more useful and comfortable for my eyes than a really large one.

Yeah I second this, when I started WFH I just plugged in to a large-ish TV but doing it was too in my face and I couldn’t get the angle quite right. I’m now using the laptop screen and an external monitor.
Thanks.
I know Windows has the snap assistant I’ve just not used it as I don’t have the screen space so to speak. So I’m trying to gain the experience of others.
I have 2 28 inch widescreen monitors through a docking station on a desk about 40-50cms back on an duel stand I can move around. In hindsight I feel that 24s would have been a better option, but it’s fine with 28’s but bigger is not always better. I work in finance so 2 screens is something I prefer over just the 1.
Just because people are being required to work from home more, does not mean the employer does not have to do risk assessments. Whilst people are on duty, no matter the location, you are at work and your health, safety, and welfare should be of concern of your employer.
So, with this in mind your employer should work with you to determine the right equipment and environment for you to safely work in. Your eyesight matters, your posture matters, all RSI should be prevented, etc etc.
I have two 24" at work and home, we tried large screens and some ultrawides, they weren't popular, snapping just doesn't work as well, especially if you use things like remote desktop which has to maintain it's screen ratio so snapping made you lose vertical space and you ended up with an annoying useless window.
Totally depends what you're doing.

I preferred having 2 monitors when I would watch TV on one but right now i'm sporting a 42" 4K which is great to viewing a huge page of info on at once.
If I recall correctly, some of the larger Samsung monitors (32 or above I think) can become 2 screens. Needs software installing so may not be possible if you are in a corporate system etc
Post a comment
@
    Text