Home Plugs & Surge Protected Extension Leads

Found 21st Mar
Can't seem to find anything definitive on the web.
Anyone here know for sure whether a surge protected extension lead would cause issues with using a home plug?

I am aware that (for example) an ordinary 4-gang extension lead in itself can cause some issues such as occasional drop-outs and certainly reductions and fluctuations in network speed (at least in my home anyway), but I am unsure if having surge protection would cause further issues on top of those.

Anyone know anymore?
Community Updates
Ask
7 Comments
In my experience they cause issues, plugged into a surge protector my speeds dropped to 30mb, plugged directly into the wall socket I get 60mb. Can't give any more info that that really.
bynouk2 h, 27 m ago

In my experience they cause issues, plugged into a surge protector my …In my experience they cause issues, plugged into a surge protector my speeds dropped to 30mb, plugged directly into the wall socket I get 60mb. Can't give any more info that that really.

I would tend to agree based on experience.
Same happened with mine
Power line adapters inject noise onto the mains. This is pretty much how they work but most electrical equipment is designed to filter out noise.
Readme

This should help. In general the better the surge protector the worse the signal.

Just buy a pass thru device.
Edited by: "kester76" 21st Mar
All this was learned by X-10 Controller users so many decades ago.

First, two types of filters exist. Some block signals. Others 'eat' them.

Electronics have filters that block signals. Those X-10 signals cannot get into (be consumed) by electronics. Other items (ie plug-in surge protectors) have excessive capacitance that shorts out (eats) those signals.

That is but another of so many problems with plug-in protectors. Not to be confused with something completely diferent called a surge protector. This second device is located at the service entrance. And also (actually) does surge protection.

Second, for some reason, a Leviton 'whole house' protector was popular with X-10 users. It did not subvert signals and actually did effective surge protection.

Third, the worse that protector is for power line signals, then the more it may compromise what is always superior protection inside every appliance.
Original Poster
So basically avoid extension leads with surge protection if you need to use a home plug network power line thingy.

Thanks all
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants