Home Security

Found 5th Mar
Just wanted to get the opinion from what people have done to make their home more secure against burglary. The other night we went out for dinner, when we came back, somebody had moved the mat and we could see footprint on the snow (not ours), it seems that somebody checked if we were leaving a key under the mat.
I am thinking to get some cctv and PIR light fitted. Would you say that they are the best options? I am not sure about alarms (we have got pets, i know you can get special sensors for it). Thank you
J
Community Updates
Ask
13 Comments
I realy wish there were a sticky about CCTV. It gets asked about almost every day now.

Anyway, read the comments. You'll learn a lot about different CCTV.
hotukdeals.com/sea…CTV
Best option is to Not leave a key under the mat!

Seriously though, a visible CCTV plus a pir would be good. The 'visible' part is important. You want burglars to not go in rather than to watch them on your recording as they ransack your house. Scare them off to someone who hasn't bothered.
CCTV will put off some but its not fool proof and if someone is determined to get in an Alarm or CCTV won't put them off.
The best security device I have ever owned is a large dog who despite the majority of the time being lazy as could be, when the time came he leapt into action and gave the burglar a good munching.
Somebody stole all of my motorbike gear and coats/jackets out of my porch last week. I bought This floureon PTZ camera, its about to come up on a lightning deal later today.The camera is fine but the software could be better. I use two different apps and between them all is good.
I bought a system from ebay and was very impressed by the price, ive had other systems before but this was very good value.
Sannce & Annke systems (ebay or amazon though have just checked and I dont know what has happened to the sellers there are only low feedback ones now?) they use the same software (I think floureon make do as well). There are loads of different models with better functions/cameras. I got a low end one but am very happy with it.

The prices change quite a lot, I paid less than £50 at the time for a 4 camera 1080n which can take another 4 cameras (8CH) 720p (I know higher res is better but I wanted 720 as you can then keep more days on the hard drive.
I bunged an old spare drive in to save on buying one with for double the price. The camera picture is good, nice colours during the day, shows well in the dark.
It can be hooked up to your network to send alerts/emails/buzzer etc I think you can access it via an app, but have not bothered.

The best thing about the software is the motion detection, i have mine set to record everything not just record when it detects something, but you can tell it to leave a marker on the timeline when it shows motion. So I check it every 2 weeks and look at all the red markers that were set (especially ones at night) With each camera you can set which areas you want to detect (like a door/window opening) or ignore portions that will set false markers (like a tree moving in the wind) It uses a grid system so you can set multiple areas to ignore/detect.

I just checked mine yesterday and I have a camera in my shed, I dont have any motion detection areas ignored so when I saw a red marker at 3am I thought perhaps someone had broke in. It was a drop of water from the roof!

This is the one I bought though it is £28 dearer now
amazon.co.uk/SAN…ctv
I recently got hive home kit and purchased door /window sensors ,I put them on the back of the house as this is the most likely place they will break in ,so if my door or windows open while I’m at work or out the house I no someone has broken in meaning I can act on it

I have a dog and still have an alarm as they could break in when the dogs out of the house

They work perfectly
Edited by: "ashmac" 6th Mar
Unfortunately these days a dog will sometimes get stolen along with your goods.
123thisisme2 h, 42 m ago

I bought This floureon PTZ camera,

Currently on lightning deal for £76.49. Excellent value for money.
Original Poster
Thanks guys, mrty, i never leave the key under the mat, but the fact that someone had a look probably means that they were interested in getting in.

I know that if someone wants to really steal from you, they will. But i was just wondering about how strong of deterrent a cctv + light would be.

Thanks I will check the deals posted, and also i am going to get a couple of quotes from local installers
paulj482 h, 8 m ago

Unfortunately these days a dog will sometimes get stolen along with your …Unfortunately these days a dog will sometimes get stolen along with your goods.

Good one
CCTV is hit and miss at times, if someone covers their face head to toe the video footage would be useless. Good security lights are a start ensuring your door areas are well lit. Anti-snap locks are a good preventative measure, along with basics such as a working alarm.
WatchThisSpac32 h, 58 m ago

CCTV is hit and miss at times, if someone covers their face head to toe …CCTV is hit and miss at times, if someone covers their face head to toe the video footage would be useless. Good security lights are a start ensuring your door areas are well lit. Anti-snap locks are a good preventative measure, along with basics such as a working alarm.

Not exactly useless
They may of put the mask on before they got to the house and took it off outside of outside but they may not notice a street camera or the neighbors camera who caught a glimpse of them getting ready

You may be able to see their skin colour, build, height, etc

Robbers would use cars and vans so if you have a good angle then it could track the license plate, model, colour of vehicle
Ive also got an apeman trail camera from amazon that uses AA batteries, can last for 8 months and motion detects brilliantly.

I bought it to catch a local hedghog in our estate and see if we can feed it, but ended up catching a mouse.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants