Home security cameras

Posted 20th Dec 2019
I recently bought a camera from Amazon mainly to keep an eye on my puppy when I’m out but I couldn’t connect to my WiFi as only supported 2.4ghz and mine is split
Are there any cameras out there not too expensive that anyone can recommend please?
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

6 Comments
You should still be able to connect it as split would imply a 5ghz and 2.4ghz connection. Try turning the 5ghz off on your router to get the camera connected and then turn the 5ghz back on - should all be good.
Try as above or give the two frequencies slightly different SSID's.
Bluefusion20/12/2019 17:16

You should still be able to connect it as split would imply a 5ghz and …You should still be able to connect it as split would imply a 5ghz and 2.4ghz connection. Try turning the 5ghz off on your router to get the camera connected and then turn the 5ghz back on - should all be good.

This, had to do it for my Yi home ones
The camera should only be able to "see" the 2.4ghz signal, so the 5ghz is irreverent.
Factory reset the camera and try again (and make sure you're not trying to connect to your neighbours WiFi)
esar20/12/2019 20:26

The camera should only be able to "see" the 2.4ghz signal, so the 5ghz is …The camera should only be able to "see" the 2.4ghz signal, so the 5ghz is irreverent.Factory reset the camera and try again (and make sure you're not trying to connect to your neighbours WiFi)

Some 2.4ghz only devices won't initially connect to a wifi access point unless its 2.4ghz and 5ghz bands are split.

I have a couple of 2.4ghz only devices (one is an ip camera) that have that issue with combined 2.4ghz + 5ghz SSIDs.

During initially setup, both devices detect available 2.4ghz access points and provide a list of SSIDs for the user to select from and enter the password and don't allow the SSID to be typed in manually and neither detect the 2.4ghz AP unless the bands are split.

Both will connect once their wifi connections are configured even if the bands SSIDs are combined again.

My wifi knowledge is very limited to say the least, but I think it is to do with band steering, which is supposed to encourage devices that support 5ghz to use that in preference to 2.4ghz and as far as I gather, the AP effectively makes the 2.4ghz ssid hidden to achieve that and affects how it responds to 2.4ghz client's discovery attempts.
Edited by: "melted" 20th Dec 2019
My camera only works with 2.4ghz. With my new broadband provider by default it's 5ghz. Had to manually make available 2.4ghz in order to use camera
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants