Homeopathy for Piles- Recommendations

Posted 19th Nov
Firstly sorry for such a subject line..however need to ask for an elderly person and I know GP's aren't so into homeopathy..

Do you recommed any good homeopathy that has actually worked, I can pick up from Holland & Barrats or some such?

Many thanks
Community Updates
Ask
Top comments
GP's aren't into homeopathy for a very good reason - it doesn't work. The only real, fact based answer to your question (homeopathy that has actually worked) can only be no, homeopathy doesn't work, never has and never will.

1. ‘The principles of homeopathy contradict known chemical, physical and biological laws and persuasive scientific trials proving its effectiveness are not available.’
Russian Academy of Sciences

2. ‘Homeopathy should not be used to treat health conditions that are chronic, serious, or could become serious. People who choose homeopathy may put their health at risk if they reject or delay treatments for which there is good evidence for safety and effectiveness.’
National Health and Medical Research Council, Australia

3. ‘These products are not supported by scientific evidence.’
Health Canada

4 “Homeopathic remedies don’t meet the criteria of evidence based medicine.”
Hungarian Academy of Sciences

5. ‘The incorporation of anthroposophical and homeopathic products in the Swedish directive on medicinal products would run counter to several of the fundamental principles regarding medicinal products and evidence-based medicine.’
Swedish Academy of Sciences

6. ‘We recommend parents and caregivers not give homeopathic teething tablets and gels to children and seek advice from their healthcare professional for safe alternatives.’
US Food and Drug Administration

7. ‘There is little evidence to support homeopathy as an effective treatment for any specific condition.’
National Centre for Complementary and Integrative Health, US

8. ‘There is no good-quality evidence that homeopathy is effective as a treatment for any health condition.’
National Health Service, UK

9. ‘Homeopathic remedies perform no better than placebos, and the principles on which homeopathy is based are scientifically implausible.’
House of Commons Science and Technology Committee, UK

10. ‘Homeopathy has not definitively proven its efficacy in any specific indication or clinical situation.’
Ministry of Health, Spain

11. ‘There is a constant increase in the quantity of evidence and the conviction of the scientific community in medicine, that homeopathy should be treated as one of the unscientific methods of so-called “alternative medicine”, which proposes worthless products without scientifically proven efficacy.’
National Medical Council, Poland

12. ‘From a purely clinical perspective, the fact remains that there is no valid empirical proof
 of the efficacy of homeopathy (evidence-based medicine) beyond the placebo effect.’
Federaal Kenniscentrum voor de Gezondheidszorg, Belgium
pete199319/11/2019 11:32

GP's aren't into homeopathy for a very good reason - it doesn't work. The …GP's aren't into homeopathy for a very good reason - it doesn't work. The only real, fact based answer to your question (homeopathy that has actually worked) can only be no, homeopathy doesn't work, never has and never will. 1. ‘The principles of homeopathy contradict known chemical, physical and biological laws and persuasive scientific trials proving its effectiveness are not available.’Russian Academy of Sciences2. ‘Homeopathy should not be used to treat health conditions that are chronic, serious, or could become serious. People who choose homeopathy may put their health at risk if they reject or delay treatments for which there is good evidence for safety and effectiveness.’National Health and Medical Research Council, Australia3. ‘These products are not supported by scientific evidence.’Health Canada4 “Homeopathic remedies don’t meet the criteria of evidence based medicine.”Hungarian Academy of Sciences5. ‘The incorporation of anthroposophical and homeopathic products in the Swedish directive on medicinal products would run counter to several of the fundamental principles regarding medicinal products and evidence-based medicine.’Swedish Academy of Sciences6. ‘We recommend parents and caregivers not give homeopathic teething tablets and gels to children and seek advice from their healthcare professional for safe alternatives.’US Food and Drug Administration7. ‘There is little evidence to support homeopathy as an effective treatment for any specific condition.’National Centre for Complementary and Integrative Health, US8. ‘There is no good-quality evidence that homeopathy is effective as a treatment for any health condition.’National Health Service, UK9. ‘Homeopathic remedies perform no better than placebos, and the principles on which homeopathy is based are scientifically implausible.’House of Commons Science and Technology Committee, UK10. ‘Homeopathy has not definitively proven its efficacy in any specific indication or clinical situation.’Ministry of Health, Spain11. ‘There is a constant increase in the quantity of evidence and the conviction of the scientific community in medicine, that homeopathy should be treated as one of the unscientific methods of so-called “alternative medicine”, which proposes worthless products without scientifically proven efficacy.’National Medical Council, Poland12. ‘From a purely clinical perspective, the fact remains that there is no valid empirical proof
 of the efficacy of homeopathy (evidence-based medicine) beyond the placebo effect.’Federaal Kenniscentrum voor de Gezondheidszorg, Belgium

So you're hinting that homeopathy doesn't work?
25 Comments
GP's aren't into homeopathy for a very good reason - it doesn't work. The only real, fact based answer to your question (homeopathy that has actually worked) can only be no, homeopathy doesn't work, never has and never will.

1. ‘The principles of homeopathy contradict known chemical, physical and biological laws and persuasive scientific trials proving its effectiveness are not available.’
Russian Academy of Sciences

2. ‘Homeopathy should not be used to treat health conditions that are chronic, serious, or could become serious. People who choose homeopathy may put their health at risk if they reject or delay treatments for which there is good evidence for safety and effectiveness.’
National Health and Medical Research Council, Australia

3. ‘These products are not supported by scientific evidence.’
Health Canada

4 “Homeopathic remedies don’t meet the criteria of evidence based medicine.”
Hungarian Academy of Sciences

5. ‘The incorporation of anthroposophical and homeopathic products in the Swedish directive on medicinal products would run counter to several of the fundamental principles regarding medicinal products and evidence-based medicine.’
Swedish Academy of Sciences

6. ‘We recommend parents and caregivers not give homeopathic teething tablets and gels to children and seek advice from their healthcare professional for safe alternatives.’
US Food and Drug Administration

7. ‘There is little evidence to support homeopathy as an effective treatment for any specific condition.’
National Centre for Complementary and Integrative Health, US

8. ‘There is no good-quality evidence that homeopathy is effective as a treatment for any health condition.’
National Health Service, UK

9. ‘Homeopathic remedies perform no better than placebos, and the principles on which homeopathy is based are scientifically implausible.’
House of Commons Science and Technology Committee, UK

10. ‘Homeopathy has not definitively proven its efficacy in any specific indication or clinical situation.’
Ministry of Health, Spain

11. ‘There is a constant increase in the quantity of evidence and the conviction of the scientific community in medicine, that homeopathy should be treated as one of the unscientific methods of so-called “alternative medicine”, which proposes worthless products without scientifically proven efficacy.’
National Medical Council, Poland

12. ‘From a purely clinical perspective, the fact remains that there is no valid empirical proof
 of the efficacy of homeopathy (evidence-based medicine) beyond the placebo effect.’
Federaal Kenniscentrum voor de Gezondheidszorg, Belgium

GP's aren't into homeopathy for a very good reason - it doesn't work. The …GP's aren't into homeopathy for a very good reason - it doesn't work. The only real, fact based answer to your question (homeopathy that has actually worked) can only be no, homeopathy doesn't work, never has and never will. 1. ‘The principles of homeopathy contradict known chemical, physical and biological laws and persuasive scientific trials proving its effectiveness are not available.’Russian Academy of Sciences2. ‘Homeopathy should not be used to treat health conditions that are chronic, serious, or could become serious. People who choose homeopathy may put their health at risk if they reject or delay treatments for which there is good evidence for safety and effectiveness.’National Health and Medical Research Council, Australia3. ‘These products are not supported by scientific evidence.’Health Canada4 “Homeopathic remedies don’t meet the criteria of evidence based medicine.”Hungarian Academy of Sciences5. ‘The incorporation of anthroposophical and homeopathic products in the Swedish directive on medicinal products would run counter to several of the fundamental principles regarding medicinal products and evidence-based medicine.’Swedish Academy of Sciences6. ‘We recommend parents and caregivers not give homeopathic teething tablets and gels to children and seek advice from their healthcare professional for safe alternatives.’US Food and Drug Administration7. ‘There is little evidence to support homeopathy as an effective treatment for any specific condition.’National Centre for Complementary and Integrative Health, US8. ‘There is no good-quality evidence that homeopathy is effective as a treatment for any health condition.’National Health Service, UK9. ‘Homeopathic remedies perform no better than placebos, and the principles on which homeopathy is based are scientifically implausible.’House of Commons Science and Technology Committee, UK10. ‘Homeopathy has not definitively proven its efficacy in any specific indication or clinical situation.’Ministry of Health, Spain11. ‘There is a constant increase in the quantity of evidence and the conviction of the scientific community in medicine, that homeopathy should be treated as one of the unscientific methods of so-called “alternative medicine”, which proposes worthless products without scientifically proven efficacy.’National Medical Council, Poland12. ‘From a purely clinical perspective, the fact remains that there is no valid empirical proof
 of the efficacy of homeopathy (evidence-based medicine) beyond the placebo effect.’Federaal Kenniscentrum voor de Gezondheidszorg, Belgium

deeky19/11/2019 11:44

A 2010 House of Commons Science and Technology Committee report on homeopathy said that homeopathic remedies perform no better than placebos (dummy treatments).

nhs.uk/con…hy/

at least link to the source..

life.spectator.co.uk/art…it/
You can call these guys and they give you free advice. Just mention the symptoms. For Chronic conditions they charge.

helios.co.uk
Edited by: "mas123" 19th Nov
Does it have to be Homeopathy for a reason, or do you want other suggestions?
mas12319/11/2019 13:11

You can call these guys and they give you free advice. Just mention the …You can call these guys and they give you free advice. Just mention the symptoms. For Chronic conditions they charge.https://www.helios.co.uk

My Mum used companies like this, who convinced her to reject Chemotherapy to treat her cancer, in favor of paying them for their 'natural homeopathic remedies' and eating fruit and veg. She died six months later. I'm not looking for sympathy, but it's important people understand the very real consequences of spreading this false information.

This thread and your comment recommending this company might come across as harmless, given the OP is looking to treat something much less severe and the consequences of it not working are more minimal, but that's just where it begins. You get a homeopathic treatment that you feel some result from, but in reality that's caused by one or more 'context affects', including the placebo affect. You start talking to other people who have experiences the same 'context effects', and build up your faith in homeopathy through confirmation bias. You then start believing it can perform miracles and ignore every reputable study on homeopathy that prove without any doubt that this doesn't work.

Believing homeopathy does anything is as absurd as saying gravity isn't real.
pete199319/11/2019 14:33

My Mum used companies like this, who convinced her to reject Chemotherapy …My Mum used companies like this, who convinced her to reject Chemotherapy to treat her cancer, in favor of paying them for their 'natural homeopathic remedies' and eating fruit and veg. She died six months later. I'm not looking for sympathy, but it's important people understand the very real consequences of spreading this false information.This thread and your comment recommending this company might come across as harmless, given the OP is looking to treat something much less severe and the consequences of it not working are more minimal, but that's just where it begins. You get a homeopathic treatment that you feel some result from, but in reality that's caused by one or more 'context affects', including the placebo affect. You start talking to other people who have experiences the same 'context effects', and build up your faith in homeopathy through confirmation bias. You then start believing it can perform miracles and ignore every reputable study on homeopathy that prove without any doubt that this doesn't work.Believing homeopathy does anything is as absurd as saying gravity isn't real.

Firstly, I’m sorry for your loss, that is an awful thing to go through for anyone.

Anyone who advises you to refrain from conventional treatment for a condition as serious as cancer is highly irresponsible. Also, homeopathy can be used alongside conventional treatment anyway, so there was no need to refrain from the hospital treatment.

I noticed you said companies *like* this, meaning not this company? This is a reputable company, which I have used before and it does not give irresponsible advice like you mentioned. If you have proof to the contrary, then that is a different matter.

I and many of my friends and family use homeopathy, and can tell you it does work. The Royal family and many other high profile individuals also do, as well as millions around the world. The NHS had several homeopathic hospitals. The main one being the The Royal Homeopathic Hospital in London (forced to change its name to The Royal London Hospital for Integrated Medicine).

There is an aggressive drive by Pharmaceutical companies to discredit Homeopathy (or any other kind of alternative medicine) as it’s a big threat to their business. It’s cheap, it’s effective and has little to no side effects. I have a close family member who has worked for the biggest Pharmaceutical companies in world, including GlaxoSmithKline, Novartis, and Roche to name a few. He has a broad knowledge of how these companies work. They operate like a mafia and destroy or discredit anything that is a threat to their business.

So it’s not as simple as saying “it doesn’t work”, because it does for some. Just as some conventional medicines do for some and don’t for others.

I understand you’ve had a very negative experience but that is not the fault of Homeopathy rather it was a highly irresponsible company dishing out awful advice.
Homeopathy
Chiropractors
Nearly all of Holland and Barrett's products
Acupuncture
Energy healing
Psychics/Mediums/Tarot
Faith Healing
Reflexology

All the above are utter nonsense.

Stick to scientifically proven treatments and the world will be a better place.
I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss Homeopathy. The Pharma industry is massive with a revenue of $1 trillion in 2014. I'm not advocating all aspects of alternative medicine but as a gout sufferer I use Active Edge CherryActive Concentrate instead of Allopurinol and due to other arthritic conditions I have a blood test once every 3 months that shows my uric acid levels to be acceptable. My GP whom I have known for over 20 years looked at me like I was crazy when I first told her about the cherry juice.

Of course dyor and replacing chemotherapy for a change of diet is nuts
Edited by: "OllieSt" 19th Nov
deeky19/11/2019 11:44

39031876-ETvGR.jpg
mas12319/11/2019 15:34

Firstly, I’m sorry for your loss, that is an awful thing to go through for …Firstly, I’m sorry for your loss, that is an awful thing to go through for anyone.Anyone who advises you to refrain from conventional treatment for a condition as serious as cancer is highly irresponsible. Also, homeopathy can be used alongside conventional treatment anyway, so there was no need to refrain from the hospital treatment.I noticed you said companies *like* this, meaning not this company? This is a reputable company, which I have used before and it does not give irresponsible advice like you mentioned. If you have proof to the contrary, then that is a different matter.I and many of my friends and family use homeopathy, and can tell you it does work. The Royal family and many other high profile individuals also do, as well as millions around the world. The NHS had several homeopathic hospitals. The main one being the The Royal Homeopathic Hospital in London (forced to change its name to The Royal London Hospital for Integrated Medicine).There is an aggressive drive by Pharmaceutical companies to discredit Homeopathy (or any other kind of alternative medicine) as it’s a big threat to their business. It’s cheap, it’s effective and has little to no side effects. I have a close family member who has worked for the biggest Pharmaceutical companies in world, including GlaxoSmithKline, Novartis, and Roche to name a few. He has a broad knowledge of how these companies work. They operate like a mafia and destroy or discredit anything that is a threat to their business.So it’s not as simple as saying “it doesn’t work”, because it does for some. Just as some conventional medicines do for some and don’t for others.I understand you’ve had a very negative experience but that is not the fault of Homeopathy rather it was a highly irresponsible company dishing out awful advice.

Also this is complete nonsense.

"Homeopathy" in its entire history has never helped or cured one single person.

The only reason nobody cares about homeopathy alongside real treatment is because those with half a brain know that the "homeopathic treatments" are utter nonsense and therefore have no effect.
sammy12519/11/2019 16:39

Also this is complete nonsense."Homeopathy" in its entire history has …Also this is complete nonsense."Homeopathy" in its entire history has never helped or cured one single person.The only reason nobody cares about homeopathy alongside real treatment is because those with half a brain know that the "homeopathic treatments" are utter nonsense and therefore have no effect.

Not here to convert anyone to Homeopathy. If you don’t think it works, don’t use it. It works for me and I benefit from it, so I use it. Simple really.
mas12319/11/2019 16:54

Not here to convert anyone to Homeopathy. If you don’t think it works, d …Not here to convert anyone to Homeopathy. If you don’t think it works, don’t use it. It works for me and I benefit from it, so I use it. Simple really.

Except it doesn't work for anyone and the science proves this.
mas12319/11/2019 17:14

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.huffpost.com/entry/homeopathic-medicine-_b_1258607/amp

"it was not a report that was issued by the Swiss government nor endorsed by the Swiss Federal Office of Public Health" directly from your link.

Every scientific peer reviewed study has shown it is no more effective than the placebo effect.

It has no basis in science as it is absolute nonsense.
sammy12519/11/2019 17:18

"it was not a report that was issued by the Swiss government nor endorsed …"it was not a report that was issued by the Swiss government nor endorsed by the Swiss Federal Office of Public Health" directly from your link.Every scientific peer reviewed study has shown it is no more effective than the placebo effect.It has no basis in science as it is absolute nonsense.

What’s your view of the evidence presented in the report?
mas12319/11/2019 17:25

What’s your view of the evidence presented in the report?

That it's no more than a placebo.

Show evidence where homeopathy has ever cured *anything*

Hint: it hasn't.

Your link is written by a homeopath as an editorial/contributor piece who is intentionally misinterpreting the results.

smw.ch/art…594

"If anything, the report proves that homeopaths are willing to distort evidence in order to support their beliefs, and its authors appear to have breached Swiss Academies of Arts and Sciences principles governing scientific integrity."
Edited by: "sammy125" 19th Nov
sammy12519/11/2019 17:31

That it's no more than a placebo.Show evidence where homeopathy has ever …That it's no more than a placebo.Show evidence where homeopathy has ever cured *anything*Hint: it hasn't.Your link is written by a homeopath as an editorial/contributor piece who is intentionally misinterpreting the results.

What's your opinion on Chinese medicine?
OllieSt19/11/2019 17:39

What's your opinion on Chinese medicine?

It's all pseudoscience and nonsense too.

Cupping, acupuncture, qi, meridians etc are all utter nonsense.
sammy12519/11/2019 17:41

It's all pseudoscience and nonsense too.Cupping, acupuncture, qi, …It's all pseudoscience and nonsense too.Cupping, acupuncture, qi, meridians etc are all utter nonsense.

Don’t forget rhino Horn, Tiger testicles and ingredients from other endangered animals.
sammy12519/11/2019 17:41

It's all pseudoscience and nonsense too.Cupping, acupuncture, qi, …It's all pseudoscience and nonsense too.Cupping, acupuncture, qi, meridians etc are all utter nonsense.

Whilst I agree with most I thought cupping was proven to increase blood circulation which helped with various things.,henxe why the U.S started using it.

39033946-m6nC3.jpg

Firstly, I’m sorry for your loss, that is an awful thing to go through for …Firstly, I’m sorry for your loss, that is an awful thing to go through for anyone.

I appreciate your respectful approach.

Anyone who advises you to refrain from conventional treatment for a …Anyone who advises you to refrain from conventional treatment for a condition as serious as cancer is highly irresponsible.

Although I agree there that whoever gave this advise is highly irresponsible, there are grades of irresponsibility, I don't think those giving what you would class as 'responsible advice' within the field are in any way responsible. These are people who are siphoning money from the most vulnerable of society, convincing them that they need an alternative medicine that countless, reputable, independent studies have shown performs no better than a placebo, and is scientifically impossible.

I noticed you said companies *like* this, meaning not this company? This …I noticed you said companies *like* this, meaning not this company? This is a reputable company, which I have used before and it does not give irresponsible advice like you mentioned. If you have proof to the contrary, then that is a different matter.

I can't remember the companies names given how long ago this was. You're correct in pointing out there is no evidence that this specific company would recommend avoiding chemotherapy, but this doesn't class them as responsible, or reputable.

I and many of my friends and family use homeopathy, and can tell you it …I and many of my friends and family use homeopathy, and can tell you it does work. The Royal family and many other high profile individuals also do, as well as millions around the world.

These statements here highlight the biggest reason why Homeopathy has spread so far, people feeling an affect from homeopathy and attributing it to the homeopathy instead of the placebo effect, or other numerous external influences, then confirm each others false beliefs by stating that 'it works' when real scientific studies prove otherwise.

As to the "royal family and many other high profile individuals" - this is a great example of the Appeal To Authority fallacy. These people are no different to the rest of us in a biological sense, they're also open to being misled and experiencing the placebo effect as much as anyone else is, yet they're used to add legitimacy purely because they're "high profile". If the opinion of "high profile" people is important to you, take the opinion of the high profile scientists that are trying to share the real facts.

The NHS had several homeopathic hospitals. The main one being the The …The NHS had several homeopathic hospitals. The main one being the The Royal Homeopathic Hospital in London (forced to change its name to The Royal London Hospital for Integrated Medicine).

This statement is incredibly misleading. The NHS's stance on homeopathy is emphatically clear on their website: nhs.uk/con…hy/

"A 2010 House of Commons Science and Technology Committee report on homeopathy said that homeopathic remedies perform no better than placebos (dummy treatments).

The review also said that the principles on which homeopathy is based are "scientifically implausible".

This is also the view of the Chief Medical Officer, Professor Dame Sally Davies."

It's unfortunate that the structure of the NHS allows hospitals like this to exist, wasting taxpayers money. Over the last 2 decades, as the evidence has mounted against Homeopathy, it's use has declined 94%.
nightingale-collaboration.org/new…tml

There is an aggressive drive by Pharmaceutical companies to discredit …There is an aggressive drive by Pharmaceutical companies to discredit Homeopathy (or any other kind of alternative medicine) as it’s a big threat to their business. It’s cheap, it’s effective and has little to no side effects. I have a close family member who has worked for the biggest Pharmaceutical companies in world, including GlaxoSmithKline, Novartis, and Roche to name a few. He has a broad knowledge of how these companies work. They operate like a mafia and destroy or discredit anything that is a threat to their business.

This again is misleading. I don't doubt any of your statements, but these statements alone don't add any weight of evidence to homeopathy. This attitude is systematic to businesses, not just the Pharmaceutical industry. There are examples of Homeopathy companies trying to silence people who are sharing the real facts about homeopathy. There is money to be made from every angle by everyone involved.

If you're implying these Pharmaceutical companies have tampered with the countless studies that prove homeopathy doesn't out perform placebo's, this really requires some further evidence.

If this isn't what you're implying, I'd love to know your opinion on those studies.

So it’s not as simple as saying “it doesn’t work”, because it does for some …So it’s not as simple as saying “it doesn’t work”, because it does for some. Just as some conventional medicines do for some and don’t for others.

I agree it's not as simple as saying "it doesn't work". I'd also add to that and say it's not as simple as saying "I felt benefits from it and therefore it works". What we have to do is step back, away from these emotional arguments and look at the cold hard facts.

Edzard Ernst: "Homeopathy has been around for ~200 years. Controlled clinical trials of homeopathy have been conducted since 1835. Today, we have about 500 controlled clinical trials of homeopathy. The totality of these data fails to convincingly demonstrate that homeopathy is more than a placebo."
edzardernst.com/201…hy/
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions