Homeopathy/Herbal medicine remedies for 6yr old Eczema?

Found 13th Feb
I was hoping 6 yr old's eczema would clear up by 5 but it hasn't, it's relatively mild but we still use steroid cream once a week.

Has anyone natural remedies which actually work, or changes in diet e.g. eliminating dairy?

Thanks
Community Updates
Ask
18 Comments
Eliminating gluten cleared up my eczema after trying everything else
My nephew tried everything possible and the only thing that works for him is drinking Goats milk, cleared it up in no time, Tastes a bit funky mind.
A friend of mine has had real success with Tropic skincare for her daughter's eczema. A product called Tamanu balm. It's a natural product and really helped her as no chemicals in it. Not the cheapest but she claims worth the cost. Hope this helps.
teatowell2 m ago

It's not medicine and I'm not promoting it over and above so called "real" …It's not medicine and I'm not promoting it over and above so called "real" medicine. (No need to mention side effects I presume!)Apologies to the OP for the tangent this thread has taken.

FFS!!!! Water has side effects. please stop with your nonsense and lack of undersanding basic medicine
mattsk5 m ago

FFS!!!! Water has side effects. please stop with your nonsense and lack of …FFS!!!! Water has side effects. please stop with your nonsense and lack of undersanding basic medicine

No lack of understanding here. My original comment had a semantic error that you have latched on to like a dog with a bone.
It was a genuine comment with the intention of offering the OP an option they may not have tried. I was not trying to promote it but was responding to the original request based on something that has worked for someone I know.
I don't understand why this has caused you a problem and think it best that for the sake of the OP's query and the thread that our debate stops now.
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion - I make no apologies for my own.
Some people on here appear to be offering alternatives and conventional medicines for treatment for your childs eczema as you have asked for. Though do also bear in mind that this is not a health forum.

Do also bear in mind that any advice is taken at your own risk and potentially the detriment of your child's health, especially as the efficiency of many of these remedies are largely based on anecdotal evidence.

However, if you are still convinced by their efficiency, and as you have pointed out that you apply steroid cream to your boys eczema, which I assume you would need a prescription for this from a GP, why not speak to your GP?

Speak to your GP about this and tell them you're either not happy with your boys current treatment or ask if there are any alternative treatments, if there are any. They will advise you much better than anybody posting on here.

Don't heed the advice of people posting on here, as I have mentioned it is mainly anecdotal and could also be placebo effect (A placebo is a substance with no effects that a doctor gives to a patient instead of a drug. It's also deemed controversial for GP's handing out placebos as they can also be deemed unethical as there are no active ingredients. However, even just talking, a sympathetic ear or telling someone what they want to hear, giving somebody reassurance, is also classed as a placebo and can incidentally have good effect in some cases.).

Eczema may not kill directly but it is very unpleasant to live with as you know. Personally my advice would be not to go down the complementary and alternative route as it won't get better, it will only get worse and your child will only suffer more.
Edited by: "LemonHead" 13th Feb
teatowell11 m ago

No lack of understanding here. My original comment had a semantic error …No lack of understanding here. My original comment had a semantic error that you have latched on to like a dog with a bone. It was a genuine comment with the intention of offering the OP an option they may not have tried. I was not trying to promote it but was responding to the original request based on something that has worked for someone I know. I don't understand why this has caused you a problem and think it best that for the sake of the OP's query and the thread that our debate stops now. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion - I make no apologies for my own.

dude, you are suggesting a treatment base on your beliefs. you use scaremongering words like chemikalz and side effects and clearly you have no frigging clue what it even means.
You have no proof that what you are suggesting even works ....
that is my problem.
mattsk1 h, 22 m ago

dude, you are suggesting a treatment base on your beliefs. you use …dude, you are suggesting a treatment base on your beliefs. you use scaremongering words like chemikalz and side effects and clearly you have no frigging clue what it even means.You have no proof that what you are suggesting even works ....that is my problem.

I'm with you on this matt. Many doctors feel that patients seeking alternative medicine could be misled into believing they are being cured when little or no scientific evidence exists to support the effectiveness of the treatments on offer. Others like myself believe that alternative medicine is seeped in bad science and is practised by charlatans or the deluded.

All treatments should also undergo rigorous testing, much of the stuff in health food shops haven't. Unfortunately complementary and alternative medicines are not regulated like conventional medicines are.
Incidentally OP, as your boy is only 6 years old he should be entitled to free prescriptions. Save your money and speak to a GP for advice.
Hi, I've had eczema since I was a baby - we now only use Fairy non-bio washing powder and fabric softener... If I have cows milk cheese, my eczema flares up so I stick with soya milk and sheeps/goats milk cheese.. there are lots of lovely sheeps cheese around, they tend to be seasonal, different regions have different cheeses so shop around - manchego, partick fell,ossau iraty are all lovely. Aveeno do a oat bath soak, ask your GP.
sheripeterson35 m ago

Hi, I've had eczema since I was a baby - we now only use Fairy non-bio …Hi, I've had eczema since I was a baby - we now only use Fairy non-bio washing powder and fabric softener... If I have cows milk cheese, my eczema flares up so I stick with soya milk and sheeps/goats milk cheese.. there are lots of lovely sheeps cheese around, they tend to be seasonal, different regions have different cheeses so shop around - manchego, partick fell,ossau iraty are all lovely. Aveeno do a oat bath soak, ask your GP.

Research on the link between food and the skin disease is conflicting.

There’s no evidence that specific foods cause eczema or make symptoms flare even though some people say their symptoms get worse after they've eaten a particular food.

Unless you know you have a specific food allergy, be sure to talk to your GP before you cut out entire food groups or make other major changes to what you eat.

Food allergies can sometimes cause eczema for young children. But after age 3 or 4, it’s actually very rare.
My son had really bad from the age of 1 to the point he would scratch himself even whilst asleep and bleed on his bed sheets and clothing really stressful times, we saw the GP and tried all the differen aqueous creams as well as being a variety of different strength steroids(which we did not want) we pushed for a referal to the hospital consultant(who was a waste) but at the hospital they had a senior nurse led clinic upto 30 minutes a session to talk the first thing was he(yes it was a man) let us talk and understood what we were going through(stressful times), i used to sit on Google everynight for hours reading everything then going to the clinic and speaking to the nurse he had the latest creams and research and would give us free samples, he said in 99% of cases diet does not matter(my in laws wanted to pay for herbal stuff) he said i would not risk it as you dont really know whats in it or concentrations in the end one sample he gave us was an oat based wash really helped we stuck with that route and know we use aveeno pasted all over morning and night has sorted him, it does flare up when he's stressed but so we cream him up more until it goes back to normal, just keep perservering
One if the strangiest things we tried was wet wrapping(google it) the nurse even has special clothing which we were given paste kid all over with thick cream put on special clothing bit like lycra body suit but a cotton like material so the cream soaks into skin and child is unable to scratch through to skin
Best of luck
I hear some peope use oats in a sock in the bath just soak the oats in the water until the water runs cloudy then dab on to the affected area, try googling " oats for eczema "
sido3 h, 49 m ago

My son had really bad from the age of 1 to the point he would scratch …My son had really bad from the age of 1 to the point he would scratch himself even whilst asleep and bleed on his bed sheets and clothing really stressful times, we saw the GP and tried all the differen aqueous creams as well as being a variety of different strength steroids(which we did not want) we pushed for a referal to the hospital consultant(who was a waste) but at the hospital they had a senior nurse led clinic upto 30 minutes a session to talk the first thing was he(yes it was a man) let us talk and understood what we were going through(stressful times), i used to sit on Google everynight for hours reading everything then going to the clinic and speaking to the nurse he had the latest creams and research and would give us free samples, he said in 99% of cases diet does not matter(my in laws wanted to pay for herbal stuff) he said i would not risk it as you dont really know whats in it or concentrations in the end one sample he gave us was an oat based wash really helped we stuck with that route and know we use aveeno pasted all over morning and night has sorted him, it does flare up when he's stressed but so we cream him up more until it goes back to normal, just keep perserveringOne if the strangiest things we tried was wet wrapping(google it) the nurse even has special clothing which we were given paste kid all over with thick cream put on special clothing bit like lycra body suit but a cotton like material so the cream soaks into skin and child is unable to scratch through to skinBest of luck

That's interesting what you say, I also read something similar to what you are saying this evening, that there is no evidence that specific foods cause eczema or make symptoms flare even though some people say their symptoms get worse after they eat a particular food, and that it's not always easy to figure out exactly what’s making your skin condition flare.

The link may seem clear to some, but because you’re around many triggers every day, it’s actually often hard to tell if the problem is food, or another trigger, like stress as you have mentioned.

Did the nurse you spoke to mention anything about probiotics and prebiotics by the way?

The nearest I could find anything close to the OP''s enquiry was after reading two articles this evening on WebMD on probiotics. And as well as probiotics there was another one about prebiotics that I read on Patient UK. The latter actually sounds more promising though.

What I read about probiotics was, although research is ongoing, there's apparently good evidence that some probiotics may be helpful in treating irritable bowel syndrome, some types of diarrhea, colitis, acne, and eczema in children. I'm not sure about the other conditions, however, I do know from what I've read about eczema in children with regards to probiotics that this is a bit contentious, as The Center for Biotechnology Information also points out: Currently, probiotics cannot be recommended for treating eczema. Though novel probiotic strains may still have a role in eczema management. This information was however published in 2009.

I also read that some studies say that probiotics, the type of live bacteria you can get in yoghurt or some supplements, often called "friendly" bacteria, may help relieve the symptoms of the condition in children. Though this is where it gets complicated as there are many types of probiotics. Different probiotics have different effects. So while one may help treat a specific condition, another may have no effect. So it is not clear what type are most useful.

As mentioned above I also discovered on Patient UK that there is much interest in the potential for use of prebiotics, and synbiotics as well. Research is being undertaken to look at possible benefit for an enormous number of areas, including the prevention of eczema and food allergy in infants. This actually sounds more promising as a prevention of infant eczema as the evidence that I have gathered appears to suggest probiotics are not actually as beneficial in the treatment of eczema, as you can see from what I have written above, so it appears from what I have read anyway.

Nevertheless, even if you are thinking of taking either of these supplements you should talk to your GP, or any other health care provider, to make sure that you get the treatment most likely to help, after all I'm not qualified to give this advice, it's only what I have read.

I must also read up on those wet wraps you mention at some point as well, and the oat soaks as well though I remember reading quite some time ago about wrapping oats in muslin and running it under a tap while running a bath, I believe it's meant to soften the water, especially in hard water areas. Interesting.

webmd.com/skin-problems-and-treatments/eczema/treatment-16/eczema-diet

webmd.com/diet/probiotics

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19573037?dopt=Abstract

patient.info/doctor/probiotics-and-prebiotics
Edited by: "LemonHead" 14th Feb
Thanks all, I knew when posting everyone has a personal experience and therefore opinion, and this is what I wanted to understand - to make a rounded decision with my GP's input also. Thank you
We were still in working through very much standard treatments and as we had perfect results with the aveeno, did not explore options after this, so no discussions on pro & prebiotics
Dont rely on gps they are just sales people for big pharma. Remember eczema comes from within so treating eczema using creama etc only treats the symptoms it doesnt clear the problem
jpoolfitz14th Feb

Dont rely on gps they are just sales people for big pharma. Remember …Dont rely on gps they are just sales people for big pharma. Remember eczema comes from within so treating eczema using creama etc only treats the symptoms it doesnt clear the problem

Your latter statement may be correct to a point, however, what you say otherwise is a complete fallacy.

I think John Jackson of critical-thinking.org.uk gives the best argument with regard to this.

Yes, all businesses seek profits; however, the alternative medicine industry is no different. Let's not forget that the complementary and alternative industry is a £1bn plus industry, so there's plenty of financial clout there to promote it. The market has also been doubling in size every four years as well.

Further more, complementary and alternative remedies are sold largely unregulated, and most are untested and poorly understood. And this also includes their potential side effects. Qualifications are not required to sell such remedies either and even the so-called experts in the field don't really know what they are dealing with.

critical-thinking.org.uk/health/alternative-medicine/alternative-medicine.php

It's also not advisable not to treat eczema. If you have had experience of this then you should know that it can also cause great distress. And it isn't just the fact that it's a great irritant either, it's also not very sexy, not the most appealing, not the most attractive thing to live with.
Edited by: "LemonHead" 19th Feb
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants