Homeowners offfered £1000 to host NHS patients in spare rooms in 'Airbnb-style

Found 26th Oct 2017
Telegraph link

Whilst the above may not be perfect, I can see the potential to offer those that are suffering from the bedroom tax the opportunity to receive some income.

Obviously home needs to be suitable, but it ticks a lot of boxes in my mind.
Community Updates
Misc
8 Comments
I’ve had first hand experience on hospital beds being taken up unnecessarily. My mother spent the last 2 years of her life in a nursing home. When she went through the multitude of times that required transfer to hospital it’s was a logistical nightmare. Every single time she was ready to return to her nursing home the days it took to get her released back was nothingness short of insanity. A hospital bed being used for no other reason than a complete breakdown in communication within the hospital walls. The nursing home always had to re-access my mother’s state prior to her return, but that was never the cause of the delay..
Edited by: "OllieSt" 26th Oct 2017
I see massive “physical abuse” and “compensation” claims arising in the future.
I don't think the bedroom tax is applicable to homeowners, I thought it only applied to those in rented housing?
tryn2help4 m ago

I don't think the bedroom tax is applicable to homeowners, I thought it …I don't think the bedroom tax is applicable to homeowners, I thought it only applied to those in rented housing?

It does. The link does talk about homeowners but it might be open to people in social housing too. Didn't read the full article to find out.
Good idea
Other than the legal and social aspects, the cost case needs more fact before anyone can assess whether this is good or bad.
The news reports the host will be paid £1,000 a month which is cheap? No doubt it is a good idea. But who is underwriting the possible issues of this change and is there funding for recovery of issues? How does this total end-to-end cost compare to its equivalent on an NHS run campus? Like for like, how can a host service, with is one-to-one face-to-face, one room for one, be cheaper and more efficient than industrial scale of economy? Isn't it cheaper to have an annex that is operated by a hospital that is called "Airbnb-style" wing and achieve scale of economy?

And in implementation what is the difference between the interactions between:-

1/ a patient and a patient host in a private setting, versus
2/ a patient and a hospital staff in an institutional setting.

For example, what is the difference when a patient as a guest "gives" (gift) a gold necklace in 1/ versus that in 2/? What is the staff ratio is supervising the "real estate" out there compared to that "on campus" beyond the controversial noun Bed Blocking? What about accountability, say here, when there is abuse? Are we the only nation on earth that has an industrial scale of DBS? And why?
Edited by: "splender" 26th Oct 2017
£1000 is cheap but that's the host, what do the NHS pay the company doing this? What legal implications for people when someone with a broken leg contracts MRSA or TB or death? What happens when a patient disappears with the hosts jewellery?
knowing my luck the patient would drop dead and then I'd get a lawsuit.

ah, just read 'up to £1000' - no thanks!
Edited by: "joesmum" 26th Oct 2017
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions