Groups

Homeplug question

Does anyone know if it's possible to run two things off one homeplug? I have a WDTV and an XBOX360 (which got RROD today ) only just got the WDTV so have 'borrowed' a homeplug from the xbox upstairs,

Would it be possible to buy some sort of splitter to run the 360 and the WDTV off just the one homeplug?

I would buy another homeplug, but i have the 85mbps ebuyer value ones and they have been discontinued

Rep waiting, apologies for the possibly stupid question

9 Comments

just buy a 4 port ethernet hub and then split of there i do that and it works fine
    ebuyer.com/pro…456
    tha\t shud do it

Fairly sure that is not possible, another one is required, most are compatible with other brands.

yes you can but you need to buy one with 2 ports on it.
    Hope that helps

edit- heres one i found on a quick search ( it has 3 ports)
    solwise.co.uk/net…htm

i think the first answere is maybe your best bet

Just get a network switch, I have an 8 port running off 1 Homeplug

you can buy one with one port attach the cable to one of the ports on the hub and then it will split them i am currenly running it like this and had no prblems

You can also get a RJ45 splitter that turns one port into 2 ports. This works because typical Cat5/Cat5e wiring has 4 pairs of wires and 10/100Mb networks use 2 pairs - thus doublers on each end can turn a single cat5 cable into 2 ports. 1Gb networks use all 4 pairs, so you can see that speed would be impossible with the doubler.

Anyhow, I have no idea how many pairs to the homeplug attempts to use or if this would even work at all with a homeplug (I'm busy crawling around my attic feeding cat5e down all the aerial tubes and trunking it all back to the utility room with a patch panel and a switch).

http://www.lindy-usa.com/lindyshop/pictures/34012big.jpg

Personally tho, you would be better off using the earlier advise and stick a 4 port switch on the end of the homeplug.

Original Poster

pgregg;7082015

You can also get a RJ45 splitter that turns one port into 2 ports. This … You can also get a RJ45 splitter that turns one port into 2 ports. This works because typical Cat5/Cat5e wiring has 4 pairs of wires and 10/100Mb networks use 2 pairs - thus doublers on each end can turn a single cat5 cable into 2 ports. 1Gb networks use all 4 pairs, so you can see that speed would be impossible with the doubler.Anyhow, I have no idea how many pairs to the homeplug attempts to use or if this would even work at all with a homeplug (I'm busy crawling around my attic feeding cat5e down all the aerial tubes and trunking it all back to the utility room with a patch panel and a switch).Personally tho, you would be better off using the earlier advise and stick a 4 port switch on the end of the homeplug.

That's what i was originally thinking, might go for the network switch idea.

Presume that would be another power socket?

Homeplugs are compatible and talk to each other then? I was reading he reviews for the ones i bought and it said the 85 are incompatible with the 200 ones (of the same make though)

Original Poster

Thanks to everyone though
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. mail on sunday comp - win a £3,000 thomas cook gift e-card33
      2. DICKINSONS REAL DEAL £25,000 COMPETITION22
      3. Win a Free minion usb stick1111
      4. Tv choice magazine Issue 391515

See more discussions