Expired

Homeplugs va extension leads ??

Found 24th Jul 2011
Hi
I've just bought a pair of 200MB homeplugs from TP-Link.

The quick setup guide shows not to connect using extension leads..
Will this cause any issue ??

Where I plan to use them, both ends are on extension leads. I've plugged them in and they are working.. but are they safe on the extension leads ?

Also are they encrypted by default ??

Thanks
Community Updates
AskHomeplugExtension Lead
12 Comments
I use one of them on an extension lead... Have done so for a good while now with no issues, works fine.
Pr3cious18

I use one of them on an extension lead... Have done so for a good while … I use one of them on an extension lead... Have done so for a good while now with no issues, works fine.

same here, works fine
Do the same with mine, only issue is lower d/l speeds.
700k approx with or 1600k without
Original Poster
Ok Thanks..

Just wanted to be sure
boabbyrab

Do the same with mine, only issue is lower d/l speeds.700k approx with or … Do the same with mine, only issue is lower d/l speeds.700k approx with or 1600k without

Ouch, that means its working at ~6MBPS instead of 200MBPS, thats some serious attenuation! If its reducing the speed enough to have any impact on downloading (bear in mind its an ethernet replacement, not a broadband replacement) then you have big problems...
@jah128
The plugs i have are 85meg ones and they feed the desktop, which i only really use to d/l from ahem sites, if wife and kids are out i use a long ethernet cable to d/l, so not really bothered about it.
boabbyrab

@jah128The plugs i have are 85meg ones and they feed the desktop, which i … @jah128The plugs i have are 85meg ones and they feed the desktop, which i only really use to d/l from ahem sites, if wife and kids are out i use a long ethernet cable to d/l, so not really bothered about it.

Sure, if it works for you then fine, as you say its not so big a deal if its just for internet use; if you are using the homeplugs as a network solution (ie streaming, file-sharing etc) you probably want to use direct connections. I'm surprised it makes such a big difference anyway, I can't see why an extension lead adds much extra loss to a ring circuit that likely already contains a large number of junction-box and in-socket no-soldered connections...
both on extension leads to feed the BT vision box.
Yeah i know, thedesktopis in a cupboard in the hall Away from the router in the livingroom, used to have a long telephone cable run along the floor, so got 3 homeplugs for £10 from ebay for the desktop and the xbox.
I've got 3 plugged into extensions but do not put them in a serge protection extension as u will have problems. I put a forth in one and it blew the one into the router.
The only reason you can't use homeplugs/powerline adapters in extension leads is because extension leads, mainly surge protected ones, cause interference to the adapter. so therefore the adapter is inactive and won't work. But sometimes it will
It will work, but at a reduced speed.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants