Homeschooling - teaching times tables?!

Posted 21st May
Community Updates
Ask
14 Comments
Write them out or watch catchy YouTube vids??
Our teacher recommended this book 'Times Tables Magic' which laid them out with stories, worked like a dream and her little sister knows them now too result!

amazon.co.uk/Tim…8-3
Times table rockstar app is good.
I would 100% not recommend any apps songs or games. Do it the old school way and just test your kids a lot.
Good old fashioned way to learn it properly
My school use something called TT Rockstars. If it works great but I still think the old fashioned way of just going it over and over again to remember it is best
I tried so many apps, games, fun stuff etc with my child. Nothing worked very well.

In the end, found a website where you select the numbers you want to include ie 1-12 x 1-12 (will give you all combinations) 2 x 12 (will just give you the 2 times tables), and you set how many questions up to 99, and it has a timer.

I just did this one number at a time. So started off with 2's, until he could do this in under a set time. Then moved onto 3's, and then did 2-3's etc.

We did this, and built it up over a week. Was hard work, but it got results.
BalooCrimson21/05/2020 21:24

I would 100% not recommend any apps songs or games. Do it the old school …I would 100% not recommend any apps songs or games. Do it the old school way and just test your kids a lot.

This is great and all, but a one-size fits all approach doesn’t work for everybody, especially for those with SEN. Apps, games, stories all have their place - to each their own.
allsa00121/05/2020 23:22

I tried so many apps, games, fun stuff etc with my child. Nothing worked …I tried so many apps, games, fun stuff etc with my child. Nothing worked very well.In the end, found a website where you select the numbers you want to include ie 1-12 x 1-12 (will give you all combinations) 2 x 12 (will just give you the 2 times tables), and you set how many questions up to 99, and it has a timer. I just did this one number at a time. So started off with 2's, until he could do this in under a set time. Then moved onto 3's, and then did 2-3's etc.We did this, and built it up over a week. Was hard work, but it got results.

Please could you share a link to the website. Thanks in advance.
Sc4mp021/05/2020 21:46

Good old fashioned way to learn it properly

The thing with using the old fashioned way is that it’s different to the way they are taught nowadays. I was taught to multiply units tens hundreds and carry over (if that makes sense). My children were taught a grid system, which is so long winded.
Take a look at ttrockstars.com/.
Relax, just read to the kids, if they can't themselves and put your phone away and talk to them. This is a a special never to be repeat time to have with your kids. A couple of of weeks away from school and in adult company will be very educational and give you a chance to find out about your children's thinking and interests.
Do one at a time - start with the easy ones - 2,5,10.
For our son we wrote them out and he had it propped up next to his TV, every so often we'd ask him to read them out to us - until they sunk in and he could reel them off without looking at the paper.
Then move on to the next.
suejb222/05/2020 09:02

The thing with using the old fashioned way is that it’s different to the w …The thing with using the old fashioned way is that it’s different to the way they are taught nowadays. I was taught to multiply units tens hundreds and carry over (if that makes sense). My children were taught a grid system, which is so long winded.Take a look at https://ttrockstars.com/.

Perfect sense. I'm going based on the younger lot in our office and unless they can use a calculator they really can't calculate anything.

Now I know not everyone is the same and it's generalising but based on the sample I can see that to me shows that perhaps these days new methods aren't as good.

Saying that,I'll probably change my opinion when my boy is at school
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions