HomeServe Landlords Boiler Cover - Cancel and New Policy?

Found 28th Jan 2015
Hi,

My one year HomeServe Landlords Boiler Cover is coming to an end and the price is increasing by nearly double.

With Car insurance renewals, I've cancelled my policy and taken out a new policy with the same company without any issues. New customer deals are generally cheaper and cashback is available.

Can i also do the same in this instance?

Many thanks.

1. Ask
  2. Boiler
Groups
  1. Ask
  2. Boiler
6 Comments

If you're talking about a British Gas landlords Homecare policy I've had a similar issue in the past week. I've only got the landlords basic Homecare 100 package with a £50 excess, last year I paid £14.25 per month and they advised me this year would be £17.25. I rang them to say that I would be cancelling as the percentage increase was about 23% which was unacceptable, they put me through to the cancellations dept and the lady automatically offered me a 10% reduction on the renewal price but I still wasn't happy and said I'd think about it over the weekend and she would call back Monday. On the Monday I called them again and spoke to another person in their cancellations Dept who then rejigged the figures and offered me a renewal price of £13.90 (cheaper than last year for the same policy and excess). Rather than just cancelling the policy and then trying to renew at a later date I would ring them and push for a better renewal price.
Go on their website and calculate how much a brand new policy would be for a new customer and use the result as a bargaining tool.
Edited by: "Toptrumpet" 29th Jan 2015

Original Poster

Didnt think about that. Many thanks. I shall give them a call but don't think they'll give me the annual Gas Safety Inspection (CP12) and an annual boiler service that new customers get plus £30 quidco.

I'll report back.

No, I agree they won't entertain any £30 cashback if you ring them but again I'm sure if you labour the point of being a loyal customer and mention if you have any other policies with them etc and that you always recommend them to other landlords they may reduce the monthly cost. With regard to cancelling and then setting up a new account a few days later via quidco it could work, but I would alter your details slightly by using a different correspondence address so that their computers do not pick up the fact you're a returning customer. Could you use a close family members address or have all the correspondence sent to the property covered?

I would just add, don't waste your money on the boiler service just get the CP12, it's exactly the same thing - BG do not service boilers, they inspect them annually.

The number I renewed on for British Gas was 0800 048 1000 and spoke to an advisor called Colin in the contract cancellations Departmet who seemed much more ameniable to negotiating than anyone else I spoke to.

themorgatron

I would just add, don't waste your money on the boiler service just get … I would just add, don't waste your money on the boiler service just get the CP12, it's exactly the same thing - BG do not service boilers, they inspect them annually.

Unfortunately the annual service is part of the package, I just get them to do the service at the same time as the CP12. The trouble is being a landlord you have to do things by the book and cover yourself just incase something goes wrong. Yes you can buy the same cover cheaper but in my experience BG do turn up on time and when things do go wrong they come out to you very quickly. Also tenants like to know cover is in place and BG is so well known that tenants feel confident to use them. The only recent drawback is that when a breakdown occurs BG now ask whoever calls them to pay the excess on a card before an engineer will be dispatched. The only way round this is to have a more expensive policy with £0 excess or say that you are vulnerable, ie with young children without access to heat or hot water.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions