Honda Civic mk8 creaking/tapping noise

Edited by:"the_b3st"Found 7th Nov 2017
2823746.jpg2823746.jpgMy car makes a creaking sound from the front while driving at low speeds. I’ve taken it to the mechanic, magically the noise disappeared when he drove it. I had it serviced from Honda a couple of months ago and I thought they would’ve picked up on it but no. I even had the MOT done and everything was ok. It’s really getting annoying now and I don’t know if it’s dangerous to drive in any way. Today I thought I’d have a look myself and look for anything obvious. I noticed a rubber bush looks like it’s split. Could anyone shed any light on this? Could this be making the noise? All help appreciated. Forgot to mention that this is the driver side. For some reason the pictures got posted sideways

1. Ask
Groups
  1. Ask
8 Comments

Looks like the left hand ( in pictures) could be slack as there seem rust there and that happens when a bolt in this case the ball joint moves ! And rubs hence the noise ! A think ! no easy without seeing actual car !

Having had a mk8 for nearly 10 years and a member of Civinfo I would say it is either the front subframe, the front top shock absorber mounts or the front droplinks.

Anti roll bar drop link
Piece of cake to change , about 15 mins
Jack up , use a axle stand and take the wheel off , will expose it , you may need to turn the steering to get to the rear bolt
Give the bolts a good squirt the night before with some maintenance spray
Under a tenner at a motor factors
Good luck

Yep as already mentioned it sounds like drop links, if the whole lot turns when trying to undo the nut then there might be a torx in the end of the thread to hold with a torx bit while undoing the nut

Original Poster

Bradleigh11 h, 11 m ago

Anti roll bar drop linkPiece of cake to change , about 15 minsJack up , …Anti roll bar drop linkPiece of cake to change , about 15 minsJack up , use a axle stand and take the wheel off , will expose it , you may need to turn the steering to get to the rear boltGive the bolts a good squirt the night before with some maintenance sprayUnder a tenner at a motor factorsGood luck

Should the drop links be changed in pairs or is it ok to change just one?

You can change just one but I'd check the other to be on the safe side
If you grab it in the middle and pull back and forth make sure it doesn't have any play or movement
When these go , only the slightest movement will sound 10x worse in the car
Hth

Civic droplinks can be difficult to remove so be ready to cut them off with an angle grinder.

Original Poster

Just an update. I changed both drop links but the noise was still there, next I got the strut top mounts changed and the creaking sound has gone. I also changed the anti roll bar bushes at the same time. Car drives much better now. Thanks for all your help.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants