Honda Civic Spare Key

Found 17th Jul 2012
Hi all, just wondering if anyone could give me some advice before i go getting ripped off at a garage, i have only one key with my new car, but would like a spare, i was wondering if i could just get a key cut, as im not sure whether or not there is a chip inside.

I have a picture, so if anyone has a key the same could you let me know.

Also how difficult or expensive is it to reprogram a fob to my car?

postimage.org/ima…2j/

1. Misc
Groups
  1. Misc
15 Comments

Is it the red key? Can only get it done from Honda, and only if you have the red one as far as I'm aware

You can reprogram any blank new key (cut to your lock of course) but you need the red one to do this

Original Poster

i dont think its the one your on about, check the link and see pic

Original Poster

i dont have a red key, but do you know if my key has some sort of immobiliser or chip in it, or can i buy a blank key from ebay, and get it laser cut the same to work?
Edited by: "coullgfx" 17th Jul 2012

Wat year is it?

Original Poster

its a 2003 type r

All cars built after 1998 must have a secondary vehicle immobiliser fitted by law. First one is mechanical (steering lock). Second one is an electronic device (key chip).

Hope this answers your question.

I was quoted £650 for a spare key on an old Micra once, the car wasn't valued at that much so I carried on with just 1 key!

Original Poster

The Therapist

All cars built after 1998 must have a secondary vehicle immobiliser … All cars built after 1998 must have a secondary vehicle immobiliser fitted by law. First one is mechanical (steering lock). Second one is an electronic device (key chip).Hope this answers your question.

i only wish that wasnt the case, but thanks for reply.

Money Spinning

I was quoted £650 for a spare key on an old Micra once, the car wasn't … I was quoted £650 for a spare key on an old Micra once, the car wasn't valued at that much so I carried on with just 1 key!

definately wont pay that, but would really like another key lol

You can get a key cut at a local locksmith. Most can 'copy' the transponder details to the new key. Should cost under £20.

Original Poster

The Therapist

You can get a key cut at a local locksmith. Most can 'copy' the … You can get a key cut at a local locksmith. Most can 'copy' the transponder details to the new key. Should cost under £20.

i hope this is true, there is a lock smith a few miles from me, i will give him a try this friday, i had hoped it would be as easy as just getting key cut, as it looks very basic, but £20 isnt too much to pay

Banned

The Therapist

You can get a key cut at a local locksmith. Most can 'copy' the … You can get a key cut at a local locksmith. Most can 'copy' the transponder details to the new key. Should cost under £20.

not with honda keys you cant. Have tried and all told me honda keys after 1996 have chips and you cant just cut a new key (unless you want to immobilze your car)

OP, you need the red key to re-program new keys (making current key redundant). Honda wanted £185 for this last time I asked a few years back (fixed price across the board). Without he red key, then you are stuffed and just need to be careful not to lose the one you have.

Maybe ask previous owner if they have a spare / red key as they often forget to pass it on.

Not sure about Honda keys, but most decent locksmiths can cut & program a new key (with chip) without any form of programming to the car. I know this is true with Vauxhall & Ford keys along with many other manufacturers.

Banned

The Therapist

Not sure about Honda keys, but most decent locksmiths can cut & program a … Not sure about Honda keys, but most decent locksmiths can cut & program a new key (with chip) without any form of programming to the car. I know this is true with Vauxhall & Ford keys along with many other manufacturers.

wont be able to for honda though

OP is stuffed anyway as doesnt have the red key which is essential for re-programming.
Edited by: "csiman" 18th Jul 2012
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions