Honey bees in extension wall

Posted 20th Jul
Hi,

A few days ago we saw a few bees on our extension which in a few hours turned in to hundreds.

We rang a company who removed wasp nests however he told us they wernt wasps they were honey bees.

They gave us a number for a local bee keeper and he came to have a look. He said he couldn’t get the bees because the extension was too high to get to using ladders.

Anyone had similar experience or any suggestions?

Thank you
Community Updates
Ask
Top comments
They are harmless just leave them be(e)
They are masonry bees... Leave it and next year they won't come back
Bees are good. They won't sting. Leave them alone and take comfort in the fact you are living in harmony with the environment. So many threads on here about how can I kill spiders, flies, creepy crawlies etc etc etc. Most do no harm so live and let live. Biodiversity and all that. Plants need bees and we need plants.
30 Comments
mtsk20/07/2020 22:03

The bee keeper never mentioned masonry bees but they do look like them. Hope you are right and they go next year!
They will be fine if you leave them. We had them getting through an air brick and nesting under the house in the porch area. Had to walk through a couple every time we went out and they never caused a problem. They did come back the next year, again causing no problems. Not had them since.
jude721920/07/2020 22:20

They will be fine if you leave them. We had them getting through an air …They will be fine if you leave them. We had them getting through an air brick and nesting under the house in the porch area. Had to walk through a couple every time we went out and they never caused a problem. They did come back the next year, again causing no problems. Not had them since.

This was a crazy amount we had which must now be inside the wall. Now there’s around 20/30 flying around where they are getting in to the wall.
We had masonry bees at our last house, they were there 2 years. Had no bother from them
Deen_Gray20/07/2020 22:50

We had masonry bees at our last house, they were there 2 years. Had no …We had masonry bees at our last house, they were there 2 years. Had no bother from them

Did you have loads the wall was covered!
Lauraaa20/07/2020 23:07

Did you have loads the wall was covered!

There were quite a few but not covering the wall
41444841-UJsP9.jpg
This is when they first arrived now there’s around 20 at a time around that area
maybe try the council or another pest control?
mutley120/07/2020 23:12

I looked on the council website but that charge £55 to get rid of wasps and bees but it they can’t do the job it’s £35 call out fee. I know they will say it’s too high to remove.
Lauraaa20/07/2020 23:15

I looked on the council website but that charge £55 to get rid of wasps …I looked on the council website but that charge £55 to get rid of wasps and bees but it they can’t do the job it’s £35 call out fee. I know they will say it’s too high to remove.

how high is it? is it two storey high?
Free honey ! Result
mtsk20/07/2020 22:03

Yes agree I had some a couple of years ago in our chimney breast, left them to do their thing then just pointed it up afterwards, never saw them again.
They are harmless just leave them be(e)
must make a helluva noise!
Bees are good. They won't sting. Leave them alone and take comfort in the fact you are living in harmony with the environment. So many threads on here about how can I kill spiders, flies, creepy crawlies etc etc etc. Most do no harm so live and let live. Biodiversity and all that. Plants need bees and we need plants.
mutley120/07/2020 23:12

they aren't pests. Don't be so cruel
ashmac20/07/2020 23:22

Free honey ! Result

Not if they're mason/masonry bees. They don't produce honey.

That's if they are indeed mason bees.
Edited by: "PAISAL" 21st Jul
psychobitchfromhell21/07/2020 02:14

they aren't pests. Don't be so cruel

Interesting. I don't consider them pests either. But that's just because I like bees.

How do you decide what a pest is or isn't?
PAISAL21/07/2020 04:49

Interesting. I don't consider them pests either. But that's just because I …Interesting. I don't consider them pests either. But that's just because I like bees.How do you decide what a pest is or isn't?

Something that causes harm
furbars20/07/2020 23:22

Yes agree I had some a couple of years ago in our chimney breast, left …Yes agree I had some a couple of years ago in our chimney breast, left them to do their thing then just pointed it up afterwards, never saw them again.

Did you get loads?
Looked a lot they were about 15ft up so weren't causing a nuisance.
Lauraaa20/07/2020 23:10

[Image] This is when they first arrived now there’s around 20 at a time a …[Image] This is when they first arrived now there’s around 20 at a time around that area

They swarm like that when they move to found a new colony, it's normal.
They're not masonry bees though - they are solitary...
Edited by: "Cr0m" 21st Jul
Don't know if this helps. Earlier this year we had the wood cladding replaced on the front of our house. We discovered a bees nest behind the planks. A local beekeeper came along to have a look as if the were honey bees he was very keen to move the colony and install in one of his hives. His plan was to locate and take the queen and the rest just follow! Unfortunately they were bumble bees. so no use to him. But it might be worth contacting any local beekeepers close to you.
Cr0m21/07/2020 07:53

They swarm like that when they move to found a new colony, it's …They swarm like that when they move to found a new colony, it's normal.They're not masonry bees though - they are solitary...

Masonry bees will gather around the same area during mating and nest building giving the appearance of swarming, despite being solitary.

But I don’t think they’re masonry bees either. Just pointing out that the “swarm” like behaviour itself doesn’t exclude them from possibly being so.
PAISAL21/07/2020 09:43

Masonry bees will gather around the same area during mating and nest …Masonry bees will gather around the same area during mating and nest building giving the appearance of swarming, despite being solitary.But I don’t think they’re masonry bees either. Just pointing out that the “swarm” like behaviour itself doesn’t exclude them from possibly being so.

I did consider that but that's a lot of them in the pic, looks like a swarm to me but I'm not an expert
Cr0m21/07/2020 10:35

I did consider that but that's a lot of them in the pic, looks like a …I did consider that but that's a lot of them in the pic, looks like a swarm to me but I'm not an expert

You may well be right. That does look like a colony building swarm rather than just acting like a swarm.
They won’t do any harm or damage and will be gone soon, the population is declining, so everyone counts. Great early pollinators
dorey6921/07/2020 20:01

They won’t do any harm or damage and will be gone soon, the population is d …They won’t do any harm or damage and will be gone soon, the population is declining, so everyone counts. Great early pollinators

Do honey bees move on?
Lauraaa21/07/2020 20:57

Do honey bees move on?

On most occasions they do. But if not I’m sure you can find one in your area for advice.
Post a comment
@
    Text