Honey, will you marry... Oh. Never mind...

Found 14th Mar 2008
Fri Mar 14, 10:48 AM ET
LONDON (Reuters) - It is the one moment every man wants to get right -- and which London floor-fitter Lefkos Hajji could hardly have got more wrong.

The luckless 28 year-old's dreams of giving his sweetheart, Leanne, 26, the ultimate proposal have literally vanished into thin air.

Hajji, of Hackney, east London, had concealed a $12,000 engagement ring inside a helium balloon. The idea was that she would pop the balloon as he popped the question.

But as he left the shop, a gust of wind pulled the balloon from his hand and he watched the ring -- and quite possibly the affections of his girlfriend -- sailing away over the rooftops.

"I couldn't believe it," he told The Sun newspaper.

"I just watched as it went further and further into the air.

"I felt like such a plonker. It cost a fortune and I knew my girlfriend would kill me."

Hajji spent two hours in his car trying to chase and find the balloon, without success.

"I thought I would give Leanne a pin so I could literally pop the question," he said.

"But I had to tell her the story -- she went absolutely mad. Now she is refusing to speak to me until I get her a new ring."

He is hoping the ring will still turn up.

"It would be amazing if someone found it," he added.

(Reporting by Peter Apps. Editing by Steve Addison)
news.yahoo.com/s/n…_dc

1. Misc
  2. Ring
Groups
  1. Misc
  2. Ring
22 Comments

Idiot

Must be JDeal.

Original Poster

EVERYONE, go look for the balloon!
(would you keep it though?)

*the minute i posted that, i did wonder if this is a real story or just sensationalised by the Sun.

Oh dear, sounds almost as ridiculous as chasing round Ravenscourt Park after a £3,000 butterfly.

JimmyW;1721701

Oh dear, sounds almost as ridiculous as chasing round Ravenscourt Park … Oh dear, sounds almost as ridiculous as chasing round Ravenscourt Park after a £3,000 butterfly.

You wally...

"Now she is refusing to speak to me until I get her a new ring."

He's an idiot, but she doesn't sound that great either.

Yes. both idiots and how do we know all about how idiotic they are?

Original Poster

JimmyW;1721701

Oh dear, sounds almost as ridiculous as chasing round Ravenscourt Park … Oh dear, sounds almost as ridiculous as chasing round Ravenscourt Park after a £3,000 butterfly.

i meant a deflated balloon.

chesso;1721712

Yes. both idiots and how do we know all about how idiotic they are?

Ummmm...cos kippy told us? :oops:

kippy;1721713

i meant a deflated balloon.

Oh no, I mean that wally chasing round in his car after a balloon :giggle: must have looked like a right plonker.

Original Poster

hehe. the question in my mind is ...
how much did you guys get your engagement ring for .... i gave my OH a gold ring with a tiny diamond in it, a little over £100. not much but we were students and hardly any money. we're still together ... they say a month's salary, did you guys follow tradition?

NS : true but mainly :
africa.reuters.com/odd…tml
or similar.
This is his cunning plan to what
1. Get the ring back
2. Persuade Leanne that it was all true
3. Fight deportation ????
Sometimes I dispair.

Kippy - me too but it was everything we had then.

chesso;1721741

1. Get the ring back2. Persuade Leanne that it was all true3. Fight … 1. Get the ring back2. Persuade Leanne that it was all true3. Fight deportation ????

LOL, I was going with, 4. Hoping someone would come forward and supply a ring out of the goodness of their *cough*publicityseeking*cough* heart. I just didn't want to unleash my cynical side this late on a Friday night.

*sigh* Must go watch the Whatever video again that dandoc posted. :thumbsup:

Original Poster

re: Whatever video
dang ... of all days, i left my headset for skype conferencing at work. cant turn on the speakers at home – too late now.

kippy;1721738

hehe. the question in my mind is ...how much did you guys get your … hehe. the question in my mind is ...how much did you guys get your engagement ring for .... i gave my OH a gold ring with a tiny diamond in it, a little over £100. not much but we were students and hardly any money. we're still together ... they say a month's salary, did you guys follow tradition?

Haven't quite got that far yet, but I doubt I'll spend more than £100-£200. Can't really afford more than that, but even if I could, I wouldn't spend that much more. It's the symbolism that matters (to both of us) not the £££'s.

nightswimmer;1721748

LOL, I was going with, 4. Hoping someone would come forward and supply a … LOL, I was going with, 4. Hoping someone would come forward and supply a ring out of the goodness of their *cough*publicityseeking*cough* heart. I just didn't want to unleash my cynical side this late on a Friday night.*sigh* Must go watch the Whatever video again that dandoc posted. :thumbsup:

Laughing a lot - those smilies definitely need fixing. I like your cynical side!!

at least he made an effort,i bought my own ring after being married for 14 yrs, got fed up waiting for him to buy me one:x:x

ettam123;1721895

at least he made an effort,i bought my own ring after being married for … at least he made an effort,i bought my own ring after being married for 14 yrs, got fed up waiting for him to buy me one:x:x

What did he put on your finger when you got married?

Mine was £1K, and I love it!

Original Poster

is there a rule that the engagement ring shd be more expensive than wedding ring?

Not sure what my wife bought. :oops:

ihmoody;1722013

What did he put on your finger when you got married?

a wedding ring,didnt get an engagement ring
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. The ultimate Sunday roast only £5.46 for 4 people at ASDA21121
    2. South Park: The Fractured Butt Hole Preorders - Ubisoft Store (Free Season …47
    3. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7769543
    4. Add one, leave one game54415458

See more discussions