Groups

Hoover washing machine problem

Just had washing on for a 30 min and it started getting loud and spinning well over 1400. That was on the last 2 minutes.

I turned it off and as it slowed down it was sparking. There are fragments of rubber where it has effectively acted like sand paper.

It's getting looked at under warranty on Friday.

Does anyone know what can cause this or had it happen to them?

10 Comments

Bearing collapse by the sound of it oO
    Check for excessive play in the drum. Ours screwed up but the drum and shaft were separate so was a economic repair. Sounds like a new machine now.

As above, what was in there?? Cheap machines dont handle unbalanced loads very well, it may well have damaged/broken one or more of the suspension mounts and then torn the bearing apart.

Better washers have a balance sensor that wont let it spin full speed until the load is balanced, or at all if it wont balance within certain limits.

Back before the early 80's, premium machines used to have large HEAVY lead/concrete weights to keep the drum stable; these days it is a couple of lumps and a spring or two..

The belt may have gone, the door seal sounds a good bet especially with the sparks. The drum and bearings are another possibility and then knocked out the belt and door rubber. The engineer will probably come with a new drum as they are sealed units now with the bearings.
    These Hoover are very cheaply made now but then again most of them are. We are at fault wanting thing so cheap they have to cut costs nowadays.BTW if its covered still they will probably replace the unit if its too badly damaged otherwise its an hour long job to replace

Banned

I have a hoover too. bought it just over a year now and the timing lights turn on by themselves very occasionally tho and it changes the times it self.
    would this be electrical fault? warranty has ran out since October but I have nationwide flex account where stuff like this is covered

sofiasar

I have a hoover too. bought it just over a year now and the timing lights … I have a hoover too. bought it just over a year now and the timing lights turn on by themselves very occasionally tho and it changes the times it self.would this be electrical fault? warranty has ran out since October but I have nationwide flex account where stuff like this is covered

New circuit board I think....

Original Poster

I would count out the belt going cos it was spinning like crazy up until I turned it off. It's five months old. It wasn't overloaded. I never put too much in it but the missus sometimes does. False economy cos then the clothes don't wash properly as I keep telling the missus.

It will be covered under SOGA or CRA depending when you purchased it, if it is under 6 years old.

Grill

It will be covered under SOGA or CRA depending when you purchased it, if … It will be covered under SOGA or CRA depending when you purchased it, if it is under 6 years old.

No it won't you have to prove it was unfit for purpose when you bought it.

gr8h8me

No it won't you have to prove it was unfit for purpose when you bought it.

We will agree to disagree and I guess by your dismissive uninformed remark that you are the kind of person who signs up to extended warranties

Grill

We will agree to disagree and I guess by your dismissive uninformed … We will agree to disagree and I guess by your dismissive uninformed remark that you are the kind of person who signs up to extended warranties

Well lets just say I worked for Hotpoint for 8 years, Hoover for 3 years and Haier currently for 2 years. I also dealt with a load of claims over the guarantee time that wanted a new appliance at 4 years plus. Call me uninformed or just maybe...it's you who is uninformed

You need to prove it had a manufacturing fault at your purchase for the courts to consider it and that's not easy to do!
    Edited by: "gr8h8me" 18th Feb
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Win a Davosa Ternos Submariner Wristwatch worth £64578
      2. Win 1 of 3 x £1000 Selfridges vouchers with Virgin Trains1211
      3. Win a luxury eight-night break for two in Malaysia with Ushvani Spa and Tra…55
      4. Win a safari adventure & claim a free Chicago Town pizza coupon44

See more discussions