hospital appointment in work time,should i have to take the day off as holiday??

Found 31st May 2012
have a hospital appointment coming up in the next couple of weeks,the appointment is in work time...at 8.30am start work at 6.30 thou was told by the boss that i would have too take a days holiday for that day....is this right would rather just tkae a few hours unpaid but wont do this for me either...any ideas would be most helpful thanks
Community Updates
  1. Misc
  2. Holiday
16 Comments
I guess it depends what it says in your contract. We don't have to take time off for doctors/hospital appointments though.
Take the day off then but just don't do him any favours or overtime to help him out. Hate it when bosses act nobs.Wot about a half day?
I always just give time off, but with some staf I ask for proof, they are the ones who have had 6 grand parents die in the last 2yrs
Original Poster
miles136

I always just give time off, but with some staf I ask for proof, they are … I always just give time off, but with some staf I ask for proof, they are the ones who have had 6 grand parents die in the last 2yrs

ive even shown him the letter from the hospital with my appointment time on it.......
Banned
miles136

I always just give time off, but with some staf I ask for proof, they are … I always just give time off, but with some staf I ask for proof, they are the ones who have had 6 grand parents die in the last 2yrs

Eh? having a laugh aren't you? between running an online drama play all night you wake up and are in charge of people?

leave it out. Don't insult the grafters
123tylerjames

ive even shown him the letter from the hospital with my appointment time … ive even shown him the letter from the hospital with my appointment time on it.......

It makes no difference. I've already posted a link that says they don't have to give you time off. I'd start looking for another job though if that's how much they value you.
Nitrous0xide

Eh? having a laugh aren't you? between running an online drama play all … Eh? having a laugh aren't you? between running an online drama play all night you wake up and are in charge of people?leave it out. Don't insult the grafters

yep 4 hours sleep, per 24 hours is enough
I was under the impression that employers were obliged to let you attend medical appointments.
i was told by someone that done union for my old job that they cant make you take it as holiday and they had to give you time off, providing your going for something you need not what you want but this was 4 plus years ago so might of changed by now
Edited by: "nightstud" 31st May 2012
roof30

I was under the impression that employers were obliged to let you attend … I was under the impression that employers were obliged to let you attend medical appointments.

nightstud

i was told by someone that done union for my old job that they cant make … i was told by someone that done union for my old job that they cant make you take it as holiday and they had to give you time off, providing your going for something you need not what you want but this was 4 plus years ago so might of changed by now

Have you read post #2?
Depends who you work for. Most large companies that have HR depts and policies specify what you can have time off for. Legally, they don;t have to but some do. If you have a long term condition, or a disability then they have to allow reasonable time off. This is covered by more recent legislation that replaced the disability act.
roof30

I was under the impression that employers were obliged to let you attend … I was under the impression that employers were obliged to let you attend medical appointments.

nightstud

i was told by someone that done union for my old job that they cant make … i was told by someone that done union for my old job that they cant make you take it as holiday and they had to give you time off, providing your going for something you need not what you want but this was 4 plus years ago so might of changed by now

No, and quite frankly I don't give a **** what you think.
Nitrous0xide

Eh? having a laugh aren't you? between running an online drama play all … Eh? having a laugh aren't you? between running an online drama play all night you wake up and are in charge of people?leave it out. Don't insult the grafters

Dont you know he pays £1200 tax a month
roof30

No, and quite frankly I don't give a **** what you think.

Chill man, it's ok. None of us like being wrong.
Contact HR all the companies I have worked for say if you are full time then you can take the time off without having to make it up as long as you have a letter to prove the appointment
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions