Groups

hospital phones

Banned
    anyone know if you can send a text to a personal bedside hospital phone?

1 of my internet friends had an operation today and i wanted to let her know i was thinking of her but dont feel up to speaking to her, i have never spoke to her either:giggle:

25 Comments

Don't know. But you could always ring the ward and ask one of the Nurses to pass a message on.

Sent it to their mobile. Everybody has it turned on in the bedside cupboard Im sure:)

I don't think you can send texts to hospital phones though.

Original Poster Banned

its starts 070 so just wondered

Not the ones in the hospital I go to.

I agree, everyone has their mobile with them so you could text to that (if you know the number) or call the ward and get them to pass on a message.

Original Poster Banned

ah right in that case i shall leave it til the morning when my heads less busy, thanks everyone

Even if you didnt mind calling her, I wouldnt call on one of those phones - total rip off!

kelly_o_fanatic

Even if you didnt mind calling her, I wouldnt call on one of those phones … Even if you didnt mind calling her, I wouldnt call on one of those phones - total rip off!

I thought 999 was freephone:whistling:

Admin

They are a rip off!!! They only ban mobiles in hospitals so we have to use the extortionate patientline phones!!

Even though her number begins 07... it's not a mobile. Hubby tried to text me when I was in after our little one was born in July, but it didn't work. I switched my mobile on in the end as I couldn't bare the thought of missing out on something important....

If she IS on Patientline like I was, you usually have internet access from your bedside so why not email her?!

mobiles arn't banned anymore.

Yeah, if you ring a patientline number on the ward, it costs about 40p a minute! Be warned!

Banned

That's what I thought, but I would like to see a list of hospitals that have withdrawn the ban in most areas of the hospital. That way I can then choose which hospital I go to next time I'm ill, as they now let you choose.:thumbsup:

t0mm

mobiles arn't banned anymore.

I thought that as well, its been proven that they don't interfere with the hospital equipment.

But then again do you want to be in a bed while someone is describing in detail loudly whats happening to them to every contact in their phone book. You've heard the type on buses, trains etc...

Mobile phones are not banned in Hospitals any more because they are now designed differently to the ones of 15 years ago but you will still see signs up saying to switch them off because most of the Primary Care Trusts have signed up to have those expensive phones beside the beds and the supply company have told the Trusts that they have to stop mobiles from being used in the hospitals. Also the Trust receives a percentage of the takings from the phones, so no wonder they will ask you to turn off your phone while in there.

Original Poster Banned

yeah a message came on saying 39p a minute off peak and 49p a minute peak so i just talked to her for 2mins!

I have always used my mobile while in hospital and the nurses dont care - they use theirs too! That was even when the ban had just been in place. My cousin works in a hospital and the staff were told that they could use mobiles as long as patients didnt see, because they didnt interfere but patients couldnt use them....

Admin

Well that's news to me! I thought that was the case but our knackered old hospital is still covered in signs telling you to switch your phone off.

Well it has now been said that they dont interfere, they couldnt really deny it since everyone was using mobiles anyway - so hospitals should be coming clean about it now

kelly_o_fanatic

Well it has now been said that they dont interfere, they couldnt really … Well it has now been said that they dont interfere, they couldnt really deny it since everyone was using mobiles anyway - so hospitals should be coming clean about it now

They can't because they have signed deals with the 'phone companies and the hospitals get a kickback which is much needed in the NHS coffers, :whistling: sick I know (omg was that a pun :giggle: )

[SIZE=2]Only recently been established that definitely does not interfere with machines but caution is still advised in intensive care units etc you just never know. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=2]What many people don't realise is that unconcious people often drift in and out of hearing surrounding noises. That is why mobiles are not encouraged in these areas.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=2]Hospital still have to have a policy because there are those who abuse it. We all know the types who blabber on trains at the top of their voices. Imagine being strapped to a bed and being forced to listen to it!! [/SIZE]

[SIZE=2]Whether you are using your mobile or the premium rate service provided, some people think their conversation is so important, it has to be heard by everyone. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=2]Just to give a different perspective, in some units I have worked in, as you are treating someone e.g sewing them up, they want to give a running commentary on their mobiles. [/SIZE][SIZE=2]The last time it happened to me, I walked out. When I returned 10 mins later he was still on the phone, so I asked him to sit in the waiting room so that I could treat someone else - he ended the conversation. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=2]Another time, we had to extract the mobile from a 20yr old who was annoyed she could not take it to the operating theatre because she wanted to txt on the way, became very agressive when informed it was not going to happen. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=2]It's about manners. If you were in a theatre or concert and your mobile went off you would turn it off right away. [/SIZE][SIZE=2]In hospitals, you can be giving detailed information and trying to sort their problem out and they will take the call and continue the conversation with the other person!! [/SIZE]

[SIZE=2]It is a total lack of respect to use your mobile in that way. It's just ignorant, no different to someone ignoring you when you are trying to talk to them, whether in a hospital or anywhere else. Unfortunately that is the way things are heading and it spoils it for everyone. [/SIZE][SIZE=2]

[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2]I am sure nobody here is that inconsiderate and I agree that the hospital phones are a rip off. Mobiles are a great help when you are in hospital and the majority of people use them responsibily. [/SIZE]

iglimpse

[SIZE=2] in some units I have worked in, as you are treating someone e.g … [SIZE=2] in some units I have worked in, as you are treating someone e.g sewing them up, they want to give a running commentary [/SIZE]

eeeeeewwwwwww, sorry I can't even watch Holby City :-( I hate needles and blood. :oops:

Rep given for standing up for the Meds, your Country needs people like you :thumbsup:

iglimpse

[SIZE=2]Hospital still have to have a policy because there are those who … [SIZE=2]Hospital still have to have a policy because there are those who abuse it. We all know the types who blabber on trains at the top of their voices. Imagine being strapped to a bed and being forced to listen to it!! [/SIZE]

Yup, but exactly the same thing happens with the phones by people bed. Infact it is worse because I often have to get out of bed to answer someones phone for them because they cant reach it, or show people how to use it. Dont mind when I have recovered and am waiting to go home, but not good when I have only just gone in and am ill (but mobile) myself.

The nurses time is also wasted going to get phone cards for people, have seen this happen many times.

iglimpse

[SIZE=2]Just to give a different perspective, in some units I have worked … [SIZE=2]Just to give a different perspective, in some units I have worked in, as you are treating someone e.g sewing them up, they want to give a running commentary on their mobiles. The last time it happened to me, I walked out. When I returned 10 mins later he was still on the phone, so I asked him to sit in the waiting room so that I could treat someone else - he ended the conversation[/SIZE]

If he didnt have a mobile I am sure that he would have done something else to make things harder for you - people like that are very inconciderate

[quote=Crazy1]eeeeeewwwwwww, sorry I can't even watch Holby City quote=Crazy1]

never seen it...deliberately...I value my blood pressure too much.

:-( I hate needles and blood. :oops:

Never met many people who enjoy them...and if I did- I would be very worried indeed :w00t:

Hi Folks, I'm actually one of the Voice Services/Communications team for an NHS organisation. We have the policy of no mobiles still, partly because it's still not clear of the risks in certain areas of the hospital (ICU/High Dependancy, etc) and partly because the use of mobile phones causes a lot more problems than they are worth. iglimpse has some very well made points, and it's important patients understand they are in hospital for the care and treatment of themselves, and when there, they should consider those around them, both medical staff and other patients. It's disrespectful to use your mobile phone on a ward, where there is the possibility of others resting/sleeping.

I personally worked alongside the patientline team, as they installed the service throughout our hospitals. They do make a packet off the service, but I can assure you the hospitals primary concern is the welfare of the patients, and providing services (that are an OPTIONAL extra) like these patientline units, are only in place to make patients feel more comfortable. The alternatives for you, if able to get out of your bed, is to get the number for the nurses station, and have the occasional call arrive there.

The hospital makes a small amount of revenue from the patientline devices. I think it equates to 10k-15k for a 40 ward hospital, for a year!!! This is nothing compared to the income generated by 0845 numbers etc, and the most important thing is to remember that hospitals don't make a profit, the money comes back in to the hospital to try and keep your taxes down!!!

We are trying our best ;o)

bazzaric

The alternatives for you, if able to get out of your bed, is to get the … The alternatives for you, if able to get out of your bed, is to get the number for the nurses station, and have the occasional call arrive there.

This is not allowed in any of the 5 hospitals I have been in.....

depends how nice you are! If relatives want to call/get an update from you, they can easily ask to use the nurses station phone. But maybe it's different up here in Scotland...
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Supermarket may have sold Sausages & Other Pork products may have been inf…1535
      2. Are these two things distinctly different to you?2589
      3. 'Hard' Brexit offers '£135bn annual boost' to economy - BBC News1220
      4. USS Indianapolis wreckage to be considered as a war memorial1219

See more discussions