Hospital second opinion - whats happens

Found 1st Aug 2017
Seeing a consultant tmoro, if still unsure of her suggestions, will seek a second opinion.
1.Does the second opinion come from a totally independent consultant?
2. Is the consultant doing second opinion briefed by original doctor
3. Does the consultant doing second opinion gather their own findings, or do they base it on what's already gathered
4. Any other information would be helpful
Community Updates
Ask
10 Comments
Waste of time tbh. We tried this with our son and basically they will collude together and tell you basically the same thing. Hospitals will go to extreme lengths to hide their mistakes
OP: if you unsure of her suggestion perhaps you should try doing 15+ years of medicine to get where she is now? or did you do your "resurch" on google and youtube and now you know more.

2nd opinion is based on current scans, examinations and history obtained by your initial consultant. your 2nd opinion consultant may or may not ask you additional question or do some basic examination but larger tests etc are performed the same way everywhere so there is no point in repeating them.

Macmillan webpage has some more info about 2nd opinion (what is involved etc)

123batman3211 h, 50 m ago

Waste of time tbh. We tried this with our son and basically they will …Waste of time tbh. We tried this with our son and basically they will collude together and tell you basically the same thing. Hospitals will go to extreme lengths to hide their mistakes

and how do you know they have "colluded"? did you get 3rd opinion?
My GP told me i was overweight so i asked for a second opinion. He said "you're ugly as well".
Had second opinion re foot problem. Further x-rays ordered because originals not clear enough. Different scan also ordered. Had surgery four weeks later to correct problem. Original surgeon had discharged me back to care of GP saying nothing required surgically.
Original Poster
mattsk1st Aug

OP: if you unsure of her suggestion perhaps you should try doing 15+ years …OP: if you unsure of her suggestion perhaps you should try doing 15+ years of medicine to get where she is now? or did you do your "resurch" on google and youtube and now you know more.2nd opinion is based on current scans, examinations and history obtained by your initial consultant. your 2nd opinion consultant may or may not ask you additional question or do some basic examination but larger tests etc are performed the same way everywhere so there is no point in repeating them.Macmillan webpage has some more info about 2nd opinion (what is involved etc)and how do you know they have "colluded"? did you get 3rd opinion?

I wasn't putting the consultant down when you say "should try doing 15+ years of medicine to get where she is now".

I have at the moment only one option, and it's quite a drastic surgery. Obviously I just want to be sure that that's my only option. I have done some research and tried to collate as much information as possible. Obviously every person is different and brings different circumstances to the table, when asking have you (to consultant) done this with anyone previously only one or two patients. So that limits the feedback you get and knowledge of post operation information. Thanks for the rest of the information you gave I was just trying to ask a wider community to see what experiences could be shared.

I will look at the Macmillan page and gather info from there too many thanks for your post
Original Poster
June5015 h, 20 m ago

Had second opinion re foot problem. Further x-rays ordered because …Had second opinion re foot problem. Further x-rays ordered because originals not clear enough. Different scan also ordered. Had surgery four weeks later to correct problem. Original surgeon had discharged me back to care of GP saying nothing required surgically.

Thank you for your contribution to this post
Original Poster
Master.G2nd Aug

My GP told me i was overweight so i asked for a second opinion. He said …My GP told me i was overweight so i asked for a second opinion. He said "you're ugly as well".

X)
Original Poster
123batman3211st Aug

Waste of time tbh. We tried this with our son and basically they will …Waste of time tbh. We tried this with our son and basically they will collude together and tell you basically the same thing. Hospitals will go to extreme lengths to hide their mistakes

I hope that is more the minority than the majority
I don't understand why you want a second opinion if you don't like what the consultant tells you, imoyou need to Stop searching the web for answers and seek out groups with the same condition as you have ,then respect to your go for some reassut
Really disagree with the posts criticising the OP for wanting a second opinion. A culture of doctor knows best and cannot be challenged is disempowering for patients, and leads to mistakes not being challenged and the underlying causes resolved. Doctors should welcome informed patients that I try to understand their conditions because it means that they can't just be blindly followed
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants