Hot water pressure problem

Posted 15th Nov
Hi, I had a new bathroom fitted and ever since the hot water has been a problem. The shower is fine, no issue with that. The bath and sink taps come on full at cold but when the water heats up it's down to a dribble. As I had to kick the dodgy builder off site, going back to him is not an option.

Help?
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

12 Comments
so your hot water comes on full when it hasnt been heated but a dribble when heated up? Mixer taps or separates?
Separate taps. When I turn the hot tap on the flow is full (cold), but by the time it's heated up the flow is just a dribble like there's on pressure. Cold water is always fine.
Tiggiwiggi15/11/2019 12:38

Separate taps. When I turn the hot tap on the flow is full (cold), but by …Separate taps. When I turn the hot tap on the flow is full (cold), but by the time it's heated up the flow is just a dribble like there's on pressure. Cold water is always fine.

combi boiler or immersion tank? Might be this if immersion tank

youtube.com/wat…YzQ
It's a combi boiler and I didn't have issues before the new bathroom was put in.
deleted1471098
Tiggiwiggi15/11/2019 12:49

It's a combi boiler and I didn't have issues before the new bathroom was …It's a combi boiler and I didn't have issues before the new bathroom was put in.

Does the problem occur if you run the tap at half flow? Do you get the reduction?

It might be that the combi can’t cope with the flow rate, this happens more in winter when the water is colder as it takes longer to heat up, check the water termperature dial on the boiler, if it’s on max knock it back a bit and see if that resolves it. It maybe that the builder messed with it.
Edited by: "deleted1471098" 15th Nov
use the plumbers section here as you'll get a much better response

community.screwfix.com/
deleted147109815/11/2019 12:59

Does the problem occur if you run the tap at half flow? Do you get the …Does the problem occur if you run the tap at half flow? Do you get the reduction?It might be that the combi can’t cope with the flow rate, this happens more in winter when the water is colder as it takes longer to heat up, check the water termperature dial on the boiler, if it’s on max knock it back a bit and see if that resolves it. It maybe that the builder messed with it.

I'll try that, thanks.
chocci15/11/2019 12:59

use the plumbers section here as you'll get a much better …use the plumbers section here as you'll get a much better responsehttps://community.screwfix.com/

I'll have a look on here too, thanks.
Can only really think of 3 causes as to your situation. 1. If they used plastic pipe they may have kinked the pipe reducing the flow. 2. If it's copper pipe they may have over soldered it causing excess solder to run into the pipe. 3. They have let debris into the pipe. All these are common amateur mistakes and the 3rd is very common in bathroom or in refurbishments.
Either way what you need to do is trace the pipe back and fix the issue.
For the sake of all the hassle and cost of fault finding ask the plumber to replace the section of pipe upto the point where it tees of to the sink and bath and at the point where it enters the bathroom. Or they have to cut and replace sections where they suspect the fault may be.
Look for a plumber and call a few over for quotes and suggestions. Good luck.
If it maybe debris or excess solder that may push its way upto the taps. Sorry one other suggestions maybe that they haven't opened the isolation valves fully. Again check this 🤷
Edited by: "kash2013" 16th Nov
Tiggiwiggi15/11/2019 12:49

It's a combi boiler and I didn't have issues before the new bathroom was …It's a combi boiler and I didn't have issues before the new bathroom was put in.

How is it possible to get cold water coming out a hot tap with a combi boiler?
chocci16/11/2019 04:52

How is it possible to get cold water coming out a hot tap with a combi …How is it possible to get cold water coming out a hot tap with a combi boiler?

I think he means when he first turns on the hot tap, the water is cold as the boiler is only just fired up, but as the water heats up then the output reduces to a trickle.
deeky16/11/2019 05:21

I think he means when he first turns on the hot tap, the water is cold as …I think he means when he first turns on the hot tap, the water is cold as the boiler is only just fired up, but as the water heats up then the output reduces to a trickle.

In which case, then the boiler is probably the issue......

Next step, check boiler pressure gauge, reduce output temperature to see if flow increases
Edited by: "chocci" 16th Nov
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions