Expired

Hot water tank, should I use a timer or boost?

Found 1st Sep 2014
Hi all,

Just moved into a new place and the hot water system has a weird timer that we haven't figured out yet.

We are wondering if it is cheaper to use the boost function which will run for an hour and automatically shut off (or we turn off manually after 30 mins) or if we should use the timer function to get hot water overnight for the morning.

We don't have economy 7 so there's no advantage of cheaper electricity at night so we are just wondering about power consumption. The hot water is not connected to the heating as that's electric.

Any help would be appreciated.
Community Updates
Ask
10 Comments
Banned
find a manual for the timer
wont make any difference. once the tank is fully heated then it should stay hot for 24 hours anyway
even if you are not on economy 7,electricity rates at night are lower anyway (that is why you have a low/normal reading on your meter),so maybe a 1 hour boost might equate to 2-3 hours overnight,just get to know your timer
contact you supplier to find out at what time the rate drops
whingygit

even if you are not on economy 7,electricity rates at night are lower … even if you are not on economy 7,electricity rates at night are lower anyway

Not for me, same price day or night.
Original Poster
Thanks for the replies. I have previously spoke to the supplier and unfortunately we don't have day and night rate as the meter only allows one input (or whatever the technical term is). Was just wondering if the boost used more power to quickly heat the water compared to say over 3 hours and we were then trying to work out for example if it uses x amount of power but for only 30 minutes is it the same or different to y power over 120 minutes.
whingygit

even if you are not on economy 7,electricity rates at night are lower … even if you are not on economy 7,electricity rates at night are lower anyway (that is why you have a low/normal reading on your meter),so maybe a 1 hour boost might equate to 2-3 hours overnight,just get to know your timer

nonsense!
whingygit

even if you are not on economy 7,electricity rates at night are lower … even if you are not on economy 7,electricity rates at night are lower anyway (that is why you have a low/normal reading on your meter),so maybe a 1 hour boost might equate to 2-3 hours overnight,just get to know your timer

Never heard of that before, do you live in the UK?
Some will say it's cheaper to keep your tank hot that to heat it when needed

but that depends on you and your household

How much hot water is needed
How often you take a bath? (or do you just shower)
When do you need the hot water?

I use my timer set on for 1hr 2 times a week (I'm on E7 so during cheap rate) - I live alone - I don't bath (just shower) - I wash my pots 2 (sometimes 3) times a week

Also ensure your tank has good insulation/lagged.
Edited by: "philphil61" 1st Sep 2014
I live in flat with no gas , all electric but with economy 7 . I have a 3Kw immersion that is on a 24 hour timer . It comes on for an hour twice through the night , giving enough hot water for showers , dish washing throughout the day . I use one of those energy monitors to see whats being used , it also will let me see if I have left something on .ie like a iron or similar.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants