Hot water tap smells

Found 5th Aug 2012
The hot tap in the kitchen smells realy bad,like rotten eggs when running,i have checked the other hot taps in the bathrooms and they are ok. I googled it on the net and found that a carbon filter would do the trick.What are my easies and cheapest way to fix this problem
Community Updates
MiscUFCTap
23 Comments
Just to clarify - is it the tap that smells or the water from it?
Banned
Does it smell like yoghurt that's gone off?
Original Poster
the water from the tap
Move further away from the tap and stop sniffing it.
You are not supposed to consume hot water from the tap btw.
Original Poster
stop the smart aswers. Just want good advice,as it my mothers house and she is worried there was something really wrong and would cost a lot to fix
its probably the trap beneath the sink that has food waste needing cleared out - try a mr muscle sink/drain cleaner - failing that strip it down and clear it manually
Original Poster
moob

its probably the trap beneath the sink that has food waste needing … its probably the trap beneath the sink that has food waste needing cleared out - try a mr muscle sink/drain cleaner - failing that strip it down and clear it manually

Then why is it only when i run the hot tap? will try and clean out the trap anyway
What type of boiler do you have? combi condensing standard etc
dougle34

Then why is it only when i run the hot tap? will try and clean out the … Then why is it only when i run the hot tap? will try and clean out the trap anyway

Probably cause the hot water activates the rotten food more than cold. Would be helpful to know how the water is heated?
Your water heater probably has a sacrificial anode that needs replaced. Typically the anode is located on top of the heater. To change, turn off the water supply to the heater and its source of energy. Unscrew the anode and replace it. It will be nearly as long as the water heater is tall. Many stores that sell water heaters and plumbing supplies sell replacement anodes. If you don’t have sufficient clearance, you may need to drain and remove the heater to r & r the anode.

From that link posted above
Original Poster
moob

Probably cause the hot water activates the rotten food more than cold. … Probably cause the hot water activates the rotten food more than cold. Would be helpful to know how the water is heated?

the water is heated but home heating boiling run on oil,it is stored int the hot water tank in the hot press. The only tap that smells is the hot tap in the kitchen.
Banned
Wotwot123

Your water heater probably has a sacrificial anode that needs replaced. … Your water heater probably has a sacrificial anode that needs replaced. Typically the anode is located on top of the heater. To change, turn off the water supply to the heater and its source of energy. Unscrew the anode and replace it. It will be nearly as long as the water heater is tall. Many stores that sell water heaters and plumbing supplies sell replacement anodes. If you don’t have sufficient clearance, you may need to drain and remove the heater to r & r the anode.From that link posted above

The only tap that smells is the hot tap in the kitchen.
Yeah check the storage tank in the loft..I had something similar and it was a dead pigeon in the tank... Where it came from nobody knows......
mosskeeto

Yeah check the storage tank in the loft..I had something similar and it … Yeah check the storage tank in the loft..I had something similar and it was a dead pigeon in the tank... Where it came from nobody knows......

If it were the tank in the loft, or anywhere else used to store water it would affect one than one outlet/tap.
Original Poster
the tank in the loft is sealed and house has only been redone around 5-6 years ago. total refurb.
Doubtful but it could be bacteria in the hot water cylinder. More likely the smell is coming from the trap.

If it was bacteria in the hot water cyclinder all the hot water outlets would produce the same smell.

Edited by: "avfcniall" 5th Aug 2012
there's a dead rat in your pipe.
Does your dishwasher drain through the trap?
Caustic Soda, stand back, enjoy.
Original Poster
abacus

Does your dishwasher drain through the trap?

yes same drain
There's your culprit, ever noticed on hot days when drains in the road start stinking on hot days, but rarely produce a pong on a daily basis.

Check the trap its probably full of food bits etc
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants